By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Who do you want as the USA president in 2013?

Who do you want as the next USA president?

Barack Obama 120 43.17%

Newt Gingrich 18 6.47%

Ron Paul 78 28.06%

Mitt Romney 10 3.60%

Rick Perry 10 3.60%

Gary Johnson 3 1.08%

Rick Santorum 0 0%

Michelle Bachman 8 2.88%

Other,Please mention 31 11.15%

Total:278

Don't care as long as it isn't Barract "disaster" Obama or other democrat.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Around the Network

I don't get how all the Republican nominees can be so incompetent (xcept for Ron Paul but he can't win).

How can guys like Mitt Romney and Rick Perry go so far with average intelligence (no Bush or Bachman jokes now please)?

ArnoldRimmer said:
Being from Europe, I am of course much less familiar with the presential candidates.

But I've read some articles about the various candidates and Ron Paul quite impressed me, because he seems to really believe in the original, truely american ideas of the founding fathers (not the kind of crap that neo-conservatives prey), and seems to stay loyal to his beliefs even in cases when they are unpopular. (for example legalizing drugs)

He seems to also be very popular among the american population, but unfortunately I don't think he's going to win. Remember that in US presidential campaigns, the candidate with the bigger campaign funding budget wins with a probability of about 90%. I'm afraid Ron Paul is not going to get that much money, like Obama. The jewish lobby doesn't like them, because they are both not unconditionally loyal to Israel in cases when Israel's and America's interests collide. Ron Paul wasn't even invited to that AIPAC republican presidential candidates event. For that reason, both Ron Paul and Obama will probably collect small campaign funding budgets and also get few votes from both jews and evangelicalist christs.

Ron Paul might just be the best presidential candidate America has seen in a long time. If he gets elected, I think America might actually recover again. If however Mitt Romney or Newt Gingrich will be elected (and I'm afraid one of them will), then good night USA, America's situation will become much worse than it already is.

As Kasz has pointed out, money tends to follow popularity, and not the other way around. I mean, Barack Obama more or less came out of nowhere (Illinois State Senator, Illinois US Senator for less than one whole term) against McCain, who was fairly well-entrenched and nominally should have been far better connected with campaign money than Obama was.

Ron Paul is actually less popular than he is made out to be. The issue is that he has a very well-mobilized group of supporters (which is why you see disproportiante support for him on a lot of websites on the internet), but in the end he cannot command real mainstream appeal, which is why his chances never really get up there

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

To  a Rick Perry comment I read when I stopped to write this post XD

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-sad-facts-behind-rick-perrys-texas-miracle/2011/08/16/gIQAxc3zJJ_story.html

I do NOT want the entire US to be run like Texas.

Anyway, Barack Obama. He did in his first three years more then Bush did in his entire 8. Passed Health Care Reform, Lily Ledbetter, ended Don't Ask Don't Tell, passed Financial Reform and created the Consumer Protection Bureau, the Credit Card Acountability Act (ended retroactive rate increases, mandated 45 day notice before rate increases, and more), ended the federal ban on stem cell research, passed the Stimulus package which according to the non partisan CBO saved and created millions of jobs and kept the recession from getting much worse, he got Osama Bin Laden and ended the war in Iraq.

Now, obviously, Obama didn't do most of this single handidly. Congress had to debate and pass these bills, Navy SEALs were the ones who physically went in and shot Osama in the face. But the fact of the matter is most of this wouldn't (or didn't in the case of Osama), have happened under a Republican administration, especially any of these current candidates. Obama got handed a sack of crap when he came into office, and all things considered he aint doing half bad. Heck, Health Care reform alone is something every president of the past 50 years has been trying to do.

I respect Ron Paul. While he doesn't perfectly follow his own principles himself (really, NO politician does), he's still the polar opposite of Mitt Romney. Says what he thinks, not what people want to hear. That said, his beliefs include dismantling some needed government programs like FEMA, which showed how useful it could be this year when being headed by the right people.

badgenome said:

Barring a latecomer like Chris Christie, I'm rooting for Obama. Looking at the field I have the sense that we are thoroughly fucked no matter what, and I derive a perverse satisfaction from watching this overhyped debutant flail around and the media falling all over itself to cover for him when they would have crucified Bush for doing the same thing. And who knows? Maybe eight years of Obama will bury Keynesian economics in the U.S. once and for all. (Then again, it might just bury the U.S. once and for all.)

Outside of the peverse satisfaction thing, that's where i'd go to.

Around the Network

can ron paul really end the federal reserve? i don't think so since the federal reserve is THE MOST POWERFUL ENTITY THAT EXISTS IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

Mr Khan said:
ArnoldRimmer said:

As Kasz has pointed out, money tends to follow popularity, and not the other way around. I mean, Barack Obama more or less came out of nowhere (Illinois State Senator, Illinois US Senator for less than one whole term) against McCain, who was fairly well-entrenched and nominally should have been far better connected with campaign money than Obama was.

Ron Paul is actually less popular than he is made out to be. The issue is that he has a very well-mobilized group of supporters (which is why you see disproportiante support for him on a lot of websites on the internet), but in the end he cannot command real mainstream appeal, which is why his chances never really get up there

Yeah, libretarians tend to skew into the Tech Savy/educated, Money making... and although you couldn't tell it on these forums.  Atheists.

Mr Khan said:

As Kasz has pointed out, money tends to follow popularity, and not the other way around.

Any clear proof for that? Because I really don't believe this is true when huge corporations with big wallets can donate as well.

I might believe that the number of donators somehow follows popularity, but not the sum of donations.

Comparing the campaign funding of Mitt Romney and Ron Paul for example shows huge differences:

Ron Paul

48 percent from small individual contributions

Ron Paul for Congress Cmte, U.S. Army, U.S. Air Force, U.S. Navy, Mason Capital Management, Microsoft, Boeing, Google, Overland Sheep, IBM*

Mitt Romney

10 percent from small individual contributions

Goldman Sachs, Credit Suisse Group, Morgan Stanley, HIG Capital, Barclays, Kirkland & Ellis, Bank of America, PriceWaterhouseCoopers, EMC Corp, JPMorgan Chase*

ArnoldRimmer said:
Mr Khan said:

As Kasz has pointed out, money tends to follow popularity, and not the other way around.

Any clear proof for that? Because I really don't believe this is true when huge corporations with big wallets can donate as well.

I might believe that the number of donators somehow follows popularity, but not the sum of donations.

Comparing the campaign funding of Mitt Romney and Ron Paul for example shows huge differences:

Ron Paul

48 percent from small individual contributions

Ron Paul for Congress Cmte, U.S. Army, U.S. Air Force, U.S. Navy, Mason Capital Management, Microsoft, Boeing, Google, Overland Sheep, IBM*

Mitt Romney

10 percent from small individual contributions

Goldman Sachs, Credit Suisse Group, Morgan Stanley, HIG Capital, Barclays, Kirkland & Ellis, Bank of America, PriceWaterhouseCoopers, EMC Corp, JPMorgan Chase*

So are you blaming Jews or corporations/banks? Or both? Is your argument wholly anti-semitic or just partially?

Ultimately, I don't know ...

About all I can say for sure is that Barack Obama will continue to be a disaster for Americans and their closest allies being that he will continue to act against their best interests to appeal to well connected special interest groups or to appease countries that are certainly not allies to the United States. Unless the United States gets a congress and a president that are both dedicated to cutting the budget deficit, the United States will continue to run unsustainable deficits and will (eventually) hit a point where they have a sovergn debt crisis of their own or will encounter hyper-inflation.

Of the republican candidates there seems to be only a few which could realistically be elected, and of those it is difficult to believe that any of them are any more motivated to fix the underlying problems in the United States; and they seem like the typical corrupt politicians who say whatever it takes to get elected.