By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Naughty Dog: The Last of Us will provide “an experience unlike anything else in the industry”

Tagged games:

CGI-Quality said:
Rob-Ot said:
badgenome said:
Heavy Rain with zombies?

And no plot holes as Amy Henning is a master storyteller.

Interesting, as people claimed Uncharted 3 had some plot holes too ( some reviewers and gamers).

Irrelevant either way, as HR & UC3 proved to be brilliant, exclusive experiences. I expect the same here.

I wasn't aware of anything I'd really call a "plot hole" in Uncharted 3.  But again, the term seems to be increasingly used to cover "I didn't get that bit" or "every last detail was explained via some exposition".  A "plot hole" should be a genuine gap or issue with the narrative.

Sorry to bring it up - as I really like the game - but the total lack of explanation for the blackouts in Heavy Rain is a pretty good example.  Something is set up and given pretty central importance to the plot, then simply ignored after a certain point in the narrative without explanation.  In Heavy Rain's case we know now that the explanation was removed (probably wisely) for bringing an unnecessary psyhcic element into play - but it's removal without changing the set up left a "hole" in the narrative - hence "plot hole".

In Uncharted 3 every major element had an explanation and was tied up hence I'd say no plot holes.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network
Reasonable said:
CGI-Quality said:
Rob-Ot said:
badgenome said:
Heavy Rain with zombies?

And no plot holes as Amy Henning is a master storyteller.

Interesting, as people claimed Uncharted 3 had some plot holes too ( some reviewers and gamers).

Irrelevant either way, as HR & UC3 proved to be brilliant, exclusive experiences. I expect the same here.

I wasn't aware of anything I'd really call a "plot hole" in Uncharted 3.  But again, the term seems to be increasingly used to cover "I didn't get that bit" or "every last detail was explained via some exposition".  A "plot hole" should be a genuine gap or issue with the narrative.

Sorry to bring it up - as I really like the game - but the total lack of explanation for the blackouts in Heavy Rain is a pretty good example.  Something is set up and given pretty central importance to the plot, then simply ignored after a certain point in the narrative without explanation.  In Heavy Rain's case we know now that the explanation was removed (probably wisely) for bringing an unnecessary psyhcic element into play - but it's removal without changing the set up left a "hole" in the narrative - hence "plot hole".

In Uncharted 3 every major element had an explanation and was tied up hence I'd say no plot holes.

You really live up to your name mister. <3 Major props for those words.

Well I expect greatness from this game, even with zombies.... Naughty Dog always deliver!

Just saw the trailer, it looks decent.

Something never done before....I'm calling that they will put elements from Eroge games! You have to select which route you will take and who some of the heroins could be a zombie teacher, a limping zombie childhood friend, the moaning (for brains) class representative, the shy zombie girl and even the principle's finger-less zombie daughter! Of course they would have to add in all the cliche overused situations like going the beach of rotting bodies, riding on the Ferris Wheel in the zombie infested carnival, having their first date in the desecrated park and their awkward moment of realizing they are alone together in the main character's burned down house! Now that's a game never done before!

Former something....

Around the Network
Christhor said:
Those are some big claims they are making, let's hope they will be able to back it up and make a good game again.

Make games, not war (that goes for ridiculous fanboys)

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.

Looks a little generic, imo.

pwin´ every other villain since 1994

Dammit I dunno why my pc is having trouble with quoting and then responding. Anyways what I had said was

Christhor said:
Those are some big claims they are making, let's hope they will be able to back it up and make a good game again.

Big claims eh? Well when has ND made a bad game really? They did the Crash Bandicoot series which was very good and put them truly on the map. Then you had the entire Jak and Daxter series which was also a series of very good games, and finally they released 3 Uncharted games all of them top notch. Very few studios I can say that about (*cough Bethesda with reskinned overrated glitchy games, *cough Rockstar).

Make games, not war (that goes for ridiculous fanboys)

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.

Christhor said:

Big claims eh? Well when has ND made a bad game really? They did the Crash Bandicoot series which was very good and put them truly on the map. Then you had the entire Jak and Daxter series which was also a series of very good games, and finally they released 3 Uncharted games all of them top notch. Very few studios I can say that about (*cough Bethesda with reskinned overrated glitchy games, *cough Rockstar).

There's a difference between it being a good game and it being "an experience unlike anything else in the industry". Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Naughty Dog, they were one of the main reasons why I bought a Ps3, actually Drake's Fortune was the definite reason. However, they really do not make games that are unlike anything else in the industry, or they have not up til this point. Platformers were hardly anything new, though ND made some amazing ones. Uncharted is basically just taking tons of elements from other games and adding set-pieces. If the set-pieces are enough for Uncharted to be "an experience unlike anything else in the industry", then I guess every game with an unique story is as well. In that case, it's a non-statement.

And you really cannot compare Bethesda and Rockstar to Naughty Dog. Bethesda and Rockstar make huuuuge and expansive games, while, at least in this generation, Naughty Dog have only made linear as hell games. And even with it being really linear, there are still way more glitches than there should be. In Uncharted 3 anyway, I died several times due to glitches in that game. I would much rather forgive glitches from Bethesda or Rockstar than Naughty Dog.

sweet, an other overated interactive movie where they try to hide the bad gameplay of an average game behind crazy cinematics where all you do is press X a couple of times.

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)