By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Skyrim wins 2011 VGA GOTY award and over a dozen more.

What should have won GOTY?

Skyrim 134 41.74%

Uncharted 3 83 25.86%

Batman Arkham City 22 6.85%

Portal 2 14 4.36%

Skyward Sword 67 20.87%

Total:320
lestatdark said:
Reasonable said:
Khuutra said:
I got to the first town in Skyrim.

I think I'm going to switch over to using a gamepad.

You on a PC?  If so I'd recommend it.  The game is totally designed for gamepad.  I'm playing on PC with Xbox gamepad and it works a teat.  Lock picking and menu navigation with a mouse is pretty poor - and while mods will no doubt fix that eventually it just feels more natural with a gamepad.

Well, it's true that the game is suited for a gamepad and it plays better with it at start, but after finding how to quick-tab outside the Favourites menu (to the 1-9 keys like in previous ES games), I haven't looked again into my gamepad XD.

I use both.  Quickkeys plus pad for better movement and lockpicking.  Makes the game flow really nicely.  Minimal need to use menus but ability to easily creep, run, etc and rumble assisted lock picking.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network
HokageTenshi said:

even with so many bugs... =_=

THIS, THIS, THIS.

Though I can see why Skyrim deserves GotY when all bugs are fixed, in it's current state, it's totally undeserved.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

Reasonable said:
lestatdark said:
Reasonable said:
Khuutra said:

You on a PC?  If so I'd recommend it.  The game is totally designed for gamepad.  I'm playing on PC with Xbox gamepad and it works a teat.  Lock picking and menu navigation with a mouse is pretty poor - and while mods will no doubt fix that eventually it just feels more natural with a gamepad.

Well, it's true that the game is suited for a gamepad and it plays better with it at start, but after finding how to quick-tab outside the Favourites menu (to the 1-9 keys like in previous ES games), I haven't looked again into my gamepad XD.

I use both.  Quickkeys plus pad for better movement and lockpicking.  Makes the game flow really nicely.  Minimal need to use menus but ability to easily creep, run, etc and rumble assisted lock picking.

Never did have any trouble lockpicking with the mouse, to me it's easier than it was on Oblivion, but the rumble for Dragon detection and menu navigation is a lot better with the pad, especially since the mouse wheel sometimes isn't recognized by the game and you've have to manually select with the arrow keys.

There are a couple of mods coming along to fix that, but so far your method seems to be the best

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

The_Joker_Product said:
Izo said:
Skyrim more popular then Dark Souls sure. Clearly better? Personal Taste. I'm still excited a rpg won game of the year tho.

Well one has a metacritic of 96 and the other a 89. Id say it appears clearly better to me.

If you think games are better becuase Metacritic says it  thats you. I form my own imperssions  from what I see and play and I haven't even said Dark Souls is better.  Metacritic doesn't dictate anything.  Darksouls deserved to be on GoTY list (In my opinion) but just because people like Skyrim doesn't mean Dark Souls is unworthy.

BasilZero said:
Well there's one thing we can all agree on, 2011 has been one of the best years for gaming.

Amen.

Around the Network

Skyrim winning is a complete joke, i run into countless bugs per day playing the game. Lets not even get started on the framerate, its average frames keep dropping the longer you play and thats a fact. Countless times i will be playing and the game is a slideshow and i'm forced to load old game saves and pick a different direction to go in due to the problem. I average about 4 console freezes per day aswell.

Lets look at the graphics aswell, the game looks ugly, muddy last gen textures all over the place. The game has about 10different voice actors at most. The sound in this game is very low quality aswell.

All the dungeons repeat over and over again. The same rooms and walls repeat over and over again. And the game designers can't even keep track of which walls go where as you will see specific dungeon walls in dungeons they were not meant for.

Let talk about the 1.2 patch, still current on consoles which broke all resistances. Whats that you want to fight that dragon, well his fire breath now does 950 damage on your 400health charcter... Or we can talk about mages killing 500hp charcters in 2hits. Why don't we talk about dragons fying backwards and through objects.

You wanted to play a melee charcter well lets give the enemies "ice cloak"? so whenever you get near you freeze and turn to ice. Lets talk about dragon shouts that can't be blocked and when they throw you across a room your max physical resistance character dies before he is able to stand up even though he had 500HP. All this is on the 360.

Reasonable said:
Khuutra said:

Nail on the head, sir.

Griffin said:
Skyrim winning is a complete joke, i run into countless bugs per day playing the game. Lets not even get started on the framerate, its average frames keep dropping the longer you play and thats a fact. Countless times i will be playing and the game is a slideshow and i'm forced to load old game saves and pick a different direction to go in due to the problem. I average about 4 console freezes per day aswell.

Lets look at the graphics aswell, the game looks ugly, muddy last gen textures all over the place. The game has about 10different voice actors at most. The sound in this game is very low quality aswell.

All the dungeons repeat over and over again. The same rooms and walls repeat over and over again. And the game designers can't even keep track of which walls go where as you will see specific dungeon walls in dungeons they were not meant for.

Let talk about the 1.2 patch, still current on consoles which broke all resistances. Whats that you want to fight that dragon, well his fire breath now does 950 damage on your 400health charcter... Or we can talk about mages killing 500hp charcters in 2hits. Why don't we talk about dragons fying backwards and through objects.

You wanted to play a melee charcter well lets give the enemies "ice cloak"? so whenever you get near you freeze and turn to ice. Lets talk about dragon shouts that can't be blocked and when they throw you across a room your max physical resistance character dies before he is able to stand up even though he had 500HP. All this is on the 360.

Wow we ave diferent games.

I'm over 80 hours in. Never had a restart, dont get repeat dungeons, have fantastic sound and pretty much dont experiance any of your issues in 80 hours..

I do get some hilarious glitches every now and then. bu not 1 single issue your disc has.

Also I have 22 Dragon Souls and have yet to see a dragon go backwards.

IMO."IF" your game does everyting you say and forces you that many restarts an you obviously still play it daily with your comments, It DEFINATELY deserves GOTY.

Anyways  Bethesda thanks for the best game this Gen. 

AWesome.

selnor said:
Griffin said:

I'm over 80 hours in. Never had a restart, dont get repeat dungeons, have fantastic sound and pretty much dont experiance any of your issues in 80 hours..

I do get some hilarious glitches every now and then. bu not 1 single issue your disc has.

IMO."IF" your game does everyting you say and forces you that many restarts an you obviously still play it daily with your comments, It DEFINATELY deserves GOTY.

AWesome.

The problem is i play it less and less daily to to more bugs popping up.  I just had to turn it off right now, i ran into one dragon flying backwards then he went flying backwards across the Tundra outside whiterun.  I then went off on some other mission i had planned to grab some new shout when i came across a dragon in the mountain.  I grabbed the shout while the dragon was bugged then proceded to walk away only to have the game start to run at under 5frames. 

I used the shout to clear the skies which only made the frames worse.  I then tried to load the map to fast travel away, but was unable to due to "being in combat", the map was also screen tearing whenever i tried to move it to a different location.

I'm at 164hours into the game, and have been leaving no items on the ground and trying to close all doors behind me.  I also use the "wait" system quite a bit waiting for stores to open so old bodies and junk should be clearing up on a regualr basis.  The problem is the more you play the larger the files and the more things to remember, so after a time the game will screw up for everybody.

My guards in the markarth are bugged.  I'm unable to buy a dog, due to vanishing dogs that i did have.  My horses are always targeted first in any combat so unable to use them since they die in only a few hits.  The theives guild is bugged for me and i'm unable to start it.  I also have a few bugs regarding the companions, but story related so won't list them.  I also have unremovalbe quest items on me even after completeing the quests. 

Older save files are being deleted or having other saves repeated over them.  I wanted certain saves still around so left them and now they have newer saves written over them, auto saves are not being used.

selnor said:
Griffin said:

AWesome.

While it is no doubt a good game, I couldn't find it in my conscience to give it game of the year, let alone best game of this gen.