By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - WWII Thread (How come the West never gives the Soviets the credit they deserve)

Cobretti2 said:
yanamaster said:

Being Polish, I have a very specific point of view on the soviet help during the second world war.

I mean, Poland might have staved of the nazi forces a bit longer, maybe form a decent guerilla war, rallied our western allies, France and England, to actually move their asses and end the conflict before it actually went into high gear.

But those damn Russians attacked about 2 weeks after the first shot was taken in Gdansk. In addition the russians captured all remaining Polish AK forces (over 200 thousand soldiers and got rid of 22 000 officers in Katyn, so our whole higher army echelons got a bullet in the back of their head.

They came in and allowed the 2nd world war to evolve into the bloodbath we know as the greatest conflict in human history. the fact that the soviets had to later defend themselves against the nazis and gave the push needed to turn the tides of war is of course indisputable.

But they are not the heroes that you make them out to be.

45 yeas of communism instead of 45 years of freedom
45 years of terror instead of 45 years of peace
45 years of brainwashing instead of 45 years of truth
45 years of poverty instead of 45 years of economic growth

This is what the Soviet heroes gave Poland after they won the war.

Interesting how people ignored this comment.

Here is an interesting fact. A few times we have had Russian old historic naval ships visit Australia and people could go on board and see them.  A few of the sailers said to me do you like how the russians build ships when I was o nbaord exploring. Ironically they had a made in Poland plate on them. Makes you wonder how they got these ships.

I didn't ignore it, I just didn't say anything cause it was basically what I said.

Russia helped win WW2, but they also helped cause it, and well, were huge dicks.

There is a reason Patton said

"I understand the situation. Their (the Soviet) supply system is inadequate to maintain them in a serious action such as I could put to them. They have chickens in the coop and cattle on the hoof -- that's their supply system. They could probably maintain themselves in the type of fighting I could give them for rive days. After that it would make no difference how many million men they have, and if you wanted Moscow I could give it to you. They lived on the land coming down. There is insufficient left for them to maintain themselves going back. Let's not give them time to build up their supplies. If we do, then . . . we have had a victory over the Germans and disarmed them, but we have failed in the liberation of Europe; we have lost the war!"

Around the Network

Its so strange to see so much hate to the Russians... Hey guys, do you know that the cold war was finished 22 years ago?
And also some more thoughts.

1. Hitler's/Nazi crimes was shown to the world by the international court in Nurnburg (?). It was not made any real investigations regarding Stalin. He's not a criminal - don't forget you cannot blame person without court decision - its one of the main law principles.
Yes, it is some BOOKS that say that he killed millions of people. No proof.
It is some BOOKS that say he killed not so much people and all of them was Western spies. No proof.

Truth, as always, is somewhere in the middle.

But you can't blame somebody blindly, without proof!

2. Holodomor. If you check - you'd see, that it wasn't something against Ukraine's people. It was a famine. People was dying in Russia, Ukraine, Khazahstan. And people was dying of hunger in USA at the great depression. Is it also Soviets fault?

3. I cant say for everybody, but now after 20 years in EU, Litva, Latvia and Estonia are in a much bigger mess then they was at Soviet times.

We can continue this discussion if you'd want, but please can you lower the degree of hate toward us. Russians are the same people as US,UK, Norway, etc... Don't be silly and dont afraid of Russian Ivan! :)

So there are Stalin crimes against humanity deniers as well? I only thought there were Holocaust Deniers, which are a total joke considering how well that genocide was documented. Even former concentration camp SS have gotten pissed off at Holocaust deniers for trying to lie about what went on.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

FinalEvangelion said:
So there are Stalin crimes against humanity deniers as well?

Hard to say... It was so much lies from both sides regarding Stalin.

All I really know - that my grandpa and grandma was saying only good things regarding him. It was  job. Salaries was increasing. Prices was going down. (You know - I was really impressed by what Stalin was able to do in a Soviet economy. It was some interesing investigations regarding this.)

You know - simple people in Russia mostly hate Gorbachev and Eltsyn - for they broke their lives and make everybody poor...

And on Stalin... i think it was some crimes... Was it for good or bad for the country and for Russian people - its hard to say but maybe without Stalin my country and my people wouldn't exist at all now.

And in any case - the 'tens of millions' (or, as Solzhenitsyn wrote - 110 million people) killed by Stalin - is a total bullshit. Just from the technical point of view - it is not real.

Sharu said:

Its so strange to see so much hate to the Russians... Hey guys, do you know that the cold war was finished 22 years ago?

1. Hitler's/Nazi crimes was shown to the world by the international court in Nurnburg (?). It was not made any real investigations regarding Stalin. He's not a criminal - don't forget you cannot blame person without court decision - its one of the main law principles.
It is some BOOKS that say he killed not so much people and all of them was Western spies. No proof.

2. Holodomor. If you check - you'd see, that it wasn't something against Ukraine's people. It was a famine. People was dying in Russia, Ukraine, Khazahstan. And people was dying of hunger in USA at the great depression. Is it also Soviets fault?

3. I cant say for everybody, but now after 20 years in EU, Litva, Latvia and Estonia are in a much bigger mess then they was at Soviet times.

We can continue this discussion if you'd want, but please can you lower the degree of hate toward us. Russians are the same people as US,UK, Norway, etc... Don't be silly and dont afraid of Russian Ivan! :)

im conflicted...should i be amused or saddened that you feel a discussion about soviet atrocities are direct attacks against russians?

although perhaps if your leaders accepted the cold war was done and over, didnt try to treat neighbours as vassal states, werent so corrupt, didnt make comments about how wonderful the soviet union was(and wish for its return), stopped with their cold war propaganda, didnt murder critics, and didnt fund armed groups in neighbours with the purpose of gaining control over their territory....then perhaps you wouldnt percieve such unpleasantness from people.

and frankly, if YOU would look into the holodomor genocide you would see that it was man-made event. stop with your bs soviet propaganda, im surprised you even acknowledged the famine ever even happened.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Around the Network
FattyDingDong said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Please don't insult the people responding to your thread even if you don't agree with what they post. I realize that this is a heated topic of discussion but I just want everyone to watch what they say.

You are 110% correct, I shouldn't be calling people ignorant. But i can't help it when they ignore all the dead russian people who were murdered by the Nazis, like it didn't even matter that they died. They only like to point fingers at the Soviets. Yes the Soviets comitted atrocies crimes in Berlin, i'm not denying that. But you can't ignore all the crimes the Germans comitted against Russian people. That's the whole point of the thread.

Oh yeah and what attrocities did Poles Czechs and every other coutry occupied by Soviets till 1989 did to russians ?

People need to realise that being "liberated" by Soviet army in 1945 was similar to being healed from AIDS only to get cancer instead.

Also if we need to increase people awarenesss about history we should start with how Stalin and Hitler were good buddies till they decided to backstab one another:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molotov%E2%80%93Ribbentrop_Pact

and then how Soviets were methodically murdering elites of occupied nations to ensure future obedience:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katyn_massacre

In all occupied countries Soviets established loyal political police which commited countless crimes against local patriots.

We need people to realise that whole Soviet Union was barely better than Nazi Germany while remembering normal russians were as much of a victim as other nations - if Hitler were not mad he would have milions of volounteers in occupied republics and western russia ready to fight against communism - speaks the best about how "good" that country was to their own citizens.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Sharu said:

Does not change when men undertake atrocities. Was Pol Pot ever tried for seeing to 1/4th of all Cambodians dying in a 5 year span? I mean, by your logic, Hitler never did anything either since he was never personally tried.

There are libraries full of research, eye-witness testimonies, and more. They've exhumed many mass graves since the Soviet Union fell. There is plenty of proof.

Do some research, please. The Soviets took the grain away from the farmers and shipped in east, depriving them of feeding their own people. Again, eyewitness testimonies prove that. Census data proves that. Very, VERY few people died in the US during the Great Depression. There are no accounts of mass starvation during the depression - again, census data shows that to be the case. Birth rates did drop severely, but more people died from suicide than starvation.

Can you give an exact example of thjat?

No one 'hates' Russia. I love Russia. I've always been interested in its history. What I hate are mass-murderers, which include Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao-Tse-Tung, Kim Jong Il, Kim Il Sun and others of that nature. Just because we talk about Stalinist war atrocities doesn't mean that we hate or have a problem with every other Soviet premier. I mean, I don't think I've seen anyone say 'Andropov was terrible! Khruchev was a murderer! Deng Xiao Peng was the worst Chinese Premier ever!". No, we only reserve that ire for the men that actually had something to do with the things we claim. And that lies squarely with what orders Stalin gave to the NKVD. We put the blame of a few elites, not the hundreds of millions of wonderful Russian people that lived decent, honest, productive lives.

You really should research into whate everyone says. No one is trying to attack the Russian people. Its just the leadership many have a problem with. That is no different than with any other country on the face of the Earth. People here hate the US government, the UK government, and so on and so forth, honoring civility and fostering good will to the people of those said nations - but one needs to (again) understand that doesn't absolve the nation of atrocities, or very dark times in their history. The sooner your nation comes to grips with the reality of its atrocities, and those who undertook madness, the sooner it can heal and move forward, knowing what caused the killing in the first place.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:

I'd say its generally the fact that Americans don't have access to the kind of information about the war in the East as they do any other theater, maybe sans the Indochina and Chinese front. I mean, I can mention the Soviet's Manchuko campaign to my dad who loves WW2 stuff, and he had no idea.

I'd blame the education system that is generally America-centric (in the US at least), and the general stupidity of kids being taught history. We mostly only learn about our sacrifice, much as probably the Soviets only learned about WWII through the lens of the Great Patriotic war.

How many Russian-made movies and documentaries are available on WW2? I try to find as many as I can, and the sad thing is that the Germans made more about the war (being essentuially banned from doing such for decades), than the Russians did. They only made Come and See and Brest Fortress vs. literally hundreds of WW2 movies made from the American and British side. So again, most only have had the chance to learn of the Western campaigns in Africa, D-Day and so on, and the Pacific War. Its not fair, FWIW, because the Soviets did do a lot to secure an allied victory. I try to study as much as I can from the Soviet side, because its very intriguing.

I do think the whole Cold War aspect does play in - after the war, I am sure few people wanted to portray the Soviets as a wonderful savior during the war, when we hadn't yet had detente.

Are'nt you forgetting Enemy at the Gates?  Where every Russian was British and every German was American?

MrBubbles said:
FattyDingDong said:
MrBubbles said:

it doesnt matter, the USSR was still a "bad guy" during the war. even if they were supplied by the allies and we had an enemy that was the same. i will not ignore the crimes they commited. the USSR was as much a blight as the nazis, probably an even worse one because of how long they were allowed to exist for. 

You have a special hatred towards the Soviets, did you not read all the posts i previisuly posted?  You are saying that the Soviets were just as bad as the Nazis where is your proof? i need real proof.  Nazis killed 28 million Soviet people, im sure you dont care about that. 

im having trouble believing you are presenting a real opinion and that this is not just an attempt to troll people.  perhaps we could start with the holdomor genocide?  the invasions of finland and poland?  katyn massacre? the terrible mess they turned eastern europe into?  north korea? gulag? perhaps you want a list of some soviet war crimes?

if you are serious in your attempt to garner respect for the ussr, then i am quite frankly sickened. 

Katyn Massacre why dont u get over it? it has been said 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times over and over again especially during the cold war by the americans.  what's funny is that 600,000 polish POWs surrendered to the Germans over the Soviets, thinking they will be treated well, to their surprise Hitler starved them to death, 95% of them died in the camps only the remaining 5% survived. No body talks about that.  what about all the Polish doctors, University teachers, lawyers, party members who were shot by the SS in 1940? how come you dont mention that... wait i know why.. because you didnt know about that..  you see tahts my point you live in the West. you are taught to hate the soviets and you are more interested at Anti-Soviet topics than anti-Nazi.  what's funny is that Americans teach only about the Holocaust and 6m jews who suffered under Hitler. they completely ignore 8 million Belarussian civilians who were burned alive in the churches, 12 milion Ukranian civilians who were gassed for being Ukranian. and 8 million Poles who died in the concentration camps. EVERYBODY just ignores that, i think if it wasnt for "EVIL" stalin then Hitler would have won in the east and all those Jews would be murdered  along with 90% of Slavic people. 

Again, i am not denying that Stalin and Communism were bad but you cant compare Hitler to Stalin.  Do you see me insulting US for killing 100m native americans!  or for raping 300,000 Japanese women and girls in the PACIFIC?  its funny how you dont mention that.

I trust no one, not even myself.

FattyDingDong said:
MrBubbles said:
FattyDingDong said:
MrBubbles said:

it doesnt matter, the USSR was still a "bad guy" during the war. even if they were supplied by the allies and we had an enemy that was the same. i will not ignore the crimes they commited. the USSR was as much a blight as the nazis, probably an even worse one because of how long they were allowed to exist for. 

You have a special hatred towards the Soviets, did you not read all the posts i previisuly posted?  You are saying that the Soviets were just as bad as the Nazis where is your proof? i need real proof.  Nazis killed 28 million Soviet people, im sure you dont care about that. 

im having trouble believing you are presenting a real opinion and that this is not just an attempt to troll people.  perhaps we could start with the holdomor genocide?  the invasions of finland and poland?  katyn massacre? the terrible mess they turned eastern europe into?  north korea? gulag? perhaps you want a list of some soviet war crimes?

if you are serious in your attempt to garner respect for the ussr, then i am quite frankly sickened. 

Katyn Massacre why dont u get over it? it has been said 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times over and over again especially during the cold war by the americans.  what's funny is that 600,000 polish POWs surrendered to the Germans over the Soviets, thinking they will be treated well, to their surprise Hitler starved them to death, 95% of them died in the camps only the remaining 5% survived. No body talks about that.  what about all the Polish doctors, University teachers, lawyers, party members who were shot by the SS in 1940? how come you dont mention that... wait i know why.. because you didnt know about that..  you see tahts my point you live in the West. you are taught to hate the soviets and you are more interested at Anti-Soviet topics than anti-Nazi.  what's funny is that Americans teach only about the Holocaust and 6m jews who suffered under Hitler. they completely ignore 8 million Belarussian civilians who were burned alive in the churches, 12 milion Ukranian civilians who were gassed for being Ukranian. and 8 million Poles who died in the concentration camps. EVERYBODY just ignores that, i think if it wasnt for "EVIL" stalin then Hitler would have won in the east and all those Jews would be murdered  along with 90% of Slavic people. 

Again, i am not denying that Stalin and Communism were bad but you cant compare Hitler to Stalin.  Do you see me insulting US for killing 100m native americans!  or for raping 300,000 Japanese women and girls in the PACIFIC?  its funny how you dont mention that.

would you really like to know why we are discussing the soviet union and not germany, the united states, hippies, or the easter bunny?   BECAUSE YOU MADE A THREAD TRYING TO GLORIFY THE SOVIET UNION.   which is just as sick as someone trying to glorify nazi germany.  you really are a disgusting individual.  i am, quite literally, physically sickened by you and will not be responding to anymore of the filth you are spewing.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur