By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Farm to Fridge - The Truth Behind Meat Production

Tagged games:

please, don't remind me of this video

it's not because it's discusting, it's a total nightmare, i hate myself everytime i eat meat : (

i know it's nature for animals to eat each other, but i hope that most humans are not animals and therefore we don't need to make them suffer in such a way.... : (

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Around the Network
Dr.Grass said:
binary solo said:
That's the situation in countries with poor animal welfare laws and feedlot farming.

The only complete falsehood in the video is that death by carbon dioxide is not painful. CO2 suffication is like faling into a pleasant sleep and is the least stressfull of all methods of slaughter.

Castration of pigs is banned in many countries. You can buy free range / cage free eggs, and you can buy free range chicken and pork. You can get pasture raised beef, and pasture farmed dairy.

Most countries have strict welfare laws regarding slaughter methods..

You can buy ethical animal products, you just have to do some checking and not simply buy blind. But you'll also pay a bit more too.

All of this 'sophistication' is just so that people feel good about themselves.

IT'S BULLSHIT.

They still seer off chickens beaks for instance... Why do you focus so much on how nice they are to the animals and ignore the fact that they grow them just to kill them. AND, these people do it for a living, which means they don't give a shit about the animals once they become desensitized to the situation.

- I'm not attacking you ok. Just have to speak my mind here.

You do realise that the beak is like your toenails right? In "sophisticated" animal welfare countries the de-beaking does not cut into any sensitive tissues. It trims to remove the sharp points, and in free range situations you don't need to debeak at all.

Death is part of the circle of life. I have no moral issue with killing animals for food, it's the manner in which you treat them while they are alive and the manner in which you kill them which can be humane or inhumane, and it is the farming and slaughter practices which need to be well regulated.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

The age of facebook - where everyone acts shocked/indignant/upset online, but don't do anything in their real life, leading to no changes. Not the first time it's happened, won't be the last time it happens.

binary solo said:
Dr.Grass said:
binary solo said:
That's the situation in countries with poor animal welfare laws and feedlot farming.

The only complete falsehood in the video is that death by carbon dioxide is not painful. CO2 suffication is like faling into a pleasant sleep and is the least stressfull of all methods of slaughter.

Castration of pigs is banned in many countries. You can buy free range / cage free eggs, and you can buy free range chicken and pork. You can get pasture raised beef, and pasture farmed dairy.

You can buy ethical animal products, you just have to do some checking and not simply buy blind. But you'll also pay a bit more too.

IT'S BULLSHIT.

They still seer off chickens beaks for instance... Why do you focus so much on how nice they are to the animals and ignore the fact that they grow them just to kill them. AND, these people do it for a living, which means they don't give a shit about the animals once they become desensitized to the situation.

You do realise that the beak is like your toenails right? In "sophisticated" animal welfare countries the de-beaking does not cut into any sensitive tissues. It trims to remove the sharp points, and in free range situations you don't need to debeak at all.

Death is part of the circle of life. I have no moral issue with killing animals for food, it's the manner in which you treat them while they are alive and the manner in which you kill them which can be humane or inhumane, and it is the farming and slaughter practices which need to be well regulated.

So you're point is that the amount of suffering inflicted upon living entities should be minimized.

Might as well kill plants instead of animals since they suffer significantly less, AND it is doubtlessly more humane. A 5 year old child could tell you that - a 15 year old probably not - due to his conditioning.

"You have just dined, and however scrupulously the slaughterhouse is concealed in the graceful distance of miles, there is complicity." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Dr.Grass said:
binary solo said:
Dr.Grass said:
binary solo said:

IT'S BULLSHIT.

So you're point is that the amount of suffering inflicted upon living entities should be minimized.

Might as well kill plants instead of animals since they suffer significantly less, AND it is doubtlessly more humane. A 5 year old child could tell you that - a 15 year old probably not - due to his conditioning.

"You have just dined, and however scrupulously the slaughterhouse is concealed in the graceful distance of miles, there is complicity." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Actually Plants have a sensorial system just as animals do. Based on the exchange of sugars and peracids between the stomatal cells, they can interchange exterior inputs and react accordingly to any aggression from the outside. They only do it extremely slow. 

There have been also researchs that prove that plants have a resemblance of a memory system as well. There's a rather controversial article (funny though, the grand majority of controversy arose from animal protection groups ) written in 2003 by Anthony Trewavas, one of the leading men in the field of botanics and mollecular signaling that explains it quite well. (And here you go: http://aob.oxfordjournals.org/content/92/1/1.full.pdf+html)

OT - As for this video, I've seen it already. It's horrible and nauseating and I really do feel that the people behind such heinous acts should suffer the same fate. 

Having said that, this kind of behaviour is only seen in a small population of slaughterhouses, which are banned in a grand majority of places. Here in Portugal, we have strict rules on how to treat farm animals and there's a rigid fiscalization as well. Plus, our diet is more based on fish than meat, hence we're not so big in slaughterhouses.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network
lestatdark said:
Dr.Grass said:
binary solo said:
Dr.Grass said:
binary solo said:

IT'S BULLSHIT.

Actually Plants have a sensorial system just as animals do. Based on the exchange of sugars and peracids between the stomatal cells, they can interchange exterior inputs and react accordingly to any aggression from the outside. They only do it extremely slow. 

There have been also researchs that prove that plants have a resemblance of a memory system as well. There's a rather controversial article (funny though, the grand majority of controversy arose from animal protection groups ) written in 2003 by Anthony Trewavas, one of the leading men in the field of botanics and mollecular signaling that explains it quite well. (And here you go: http://aob.oxfordjournals.org/content/92/1/1.full.pdf+html)

OT - As for this video, I've seen it already. It's horrible and nauseating and I really do feel that the people behind such heinous acts should suffer the same fate. 

Having said that, this kind of behaviour is only seen in a small population of slaughterhouses, which are banned in a grand majority of places. Here in Portugal, we have strict rules on how to treat farm animals and there's a rigid fiscalization as well. Plus, our diet is more based on fish than meat, hence we're not so big in slaughterhouses.

A simple child could tell you the difference between picking a cauliflower, and killing an animal of blood and flesh. Amazing that the educated man has to do studies and use grand terms in a conversation so simple (once again, as before, I'm not referring to you specifically, but to the many I've seen making these statements).

What I would greatly appreciate is if any of you would put some video clips of your so-called 'humane slaughterhouses'. Forget about these extreme cases; What I want is for you to point to these 'civilized' systems and tell me with a straight face that this is humane. 

Synonyms: humane, compassionate, humanitarian, merciful
These adjectives mean marked or motivated by concern with the alleviation of suffering: a humane physician; compassionate toward impoverished people; released the prisoner for humanitarian reasons; is merciful to the repentant.

The only thing I can accept is if a person flat-out admits that he only condones the slaughtering of animals because satisfying his palate is more important to him personally. I have many experiences (too many tbh) of people being aggressive towards me because I'm vegetarian. Now that to me is the definition of insanity. This insanity (or self-contradiction if you will) manifests to differing degrees whenever this conversation occurs.

''...Oh, but in our country we treat the animals nicely before we kill them and eat them''

''Oh really, well, if it's so nice then why do you purposefully hide this humane behaviour from your children? That's right, your lying to yourself as much as to them - you're just scared of them confronting you with the truth''

''It's the circle of life - we must kill to survive''

*looks at plate with steak and mushroom sauce*

''Yeah man, I can totally see your point''

binary solo said:

Wow, you mean they don't hurt the chickens when they just cut off their beaks? Awesome. That means they can't kill each other when the go insane from being jam packed together in a little cage their whole life. Sophisticated countries FTW.

(I'm constantly feeling I should justify my responses since I have too much experience of people juming unto anything I've said; Above I'm just trying to make a point. Not trying to provoke or be cynic.)

binary solo said:

Like a toenail? GREAT! I mean, I clip off my toenails every week or so, so this means the chickens won't mind! Win-win situation!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debeaking_____________________

The pain of beak-trimming

A chick being beak-trimmed without anesthetics, by the use of a heated blade.

Whether beak-trimming causes pain is a hotly debated concern. It is a complex issue as it may involve acute and/or chronic pain, and depends on the age it is performed, the method of trimming and the length of beak that is removed. Beak-trimming in the poultry industry usually occurs without anaesthetic at 1-day of age or when the chicks are very young, but can occur at a later age if an outbreak of feather pecking occurs, and in some cases, birds may be beak-trimmed on repeated occasions.

I'm so tired of hearing these BS statements. HAVE YOU EVER SEEN them do it? Or did you learn about it at your grand university? It's exactly like the FRIENDS episode where they get the chicken and the duck. Humans have become so incredibly removed from nature that they don't associate animals with their food consciously. Humans don't want to do that, because they know subconsciously that it is wrong (there, I said the wrong-word so come at me with all your anthropological academic nonsense). But as soon as Joey (the great lover of food) is confronted with the reality that this chicken and duck is no different from the one's he's eaten so many times, then blatantly contradictory behaviour ensues.

I have no respect for a man that uses his so-called sophistication to justify these acts. This man is the most pathetic of men, falsely proud of a conjured education worth nothing, yet his life is filled with violence, depression and insanity. Congratulations oh wise modern human - You have certainly evolved to a state beyond that of your ancestors /s

I do have a great deal of a respect for someone who partakes in these things, but willingly accepts that it is not ideal. At least there is some integrity there.

Dr Grass, I admire you for taking part of this discussion and speaking up for the rights and integrity of animals.

I am a vegetarian for ethical reasons too, but less radical than you on the general topic of animal rights and ethics.

Farm to fridge...meh

I''m more concern about Gov to Farm..eliminate farming subsidies an give the poor farmers in Africa a chance to compete on an even playing field.