By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game of the Year 2011 (GotY)

GOTY 2011?

MW 3 4 1.52%

BATTELFIELD 3 4 1.52%

SKYRIM 79 30.04%

PORTAL 2 15 5.70%

UNCHARTED 3 105 39.92%

GEARS OF WAR 3 29 11.03%

ASSASSINS CREED REVELATIONS 3 1.14%

ARKHAM CITY 24 9.13%

Total:263

I've only played MW3 and UC3 from that list, and Uncharted 3 takes the cake.

Around the Network

the only game that deserves the goty is Skyward Sword

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Runa216 said:
2000cc said:
no 'other' option????

out of all the options there, it'd have to be Assassins Creed Revelations, that is a great series & it was a very enjoyable entry. Portal 2 would be a distant 2nd.

For me (& i know its not in english so probably doesnt count) it was Atelier Meruru, not to sound too Kanye West on it but it was one of 'the greatest games of all time' (imo obviously) haha

Western (released in English) gaming wise it'd have to be Ratchet and Clank All 4 One

Please tell me you're joking on both of those counts...Neither was even remotely close to being game of the year material (as a hardcore, diehard Assassin's Creed and Ratchet and Clank fan who did in fact enjoy both games).  

First of all both were glitchy and rushed, second of all there was no innovation or breakthroughs, there was just...nothing there that qualifies as GotY material.  

Its no joke. Assassins creed is glitchy in a way that all open world games are. There are no load times in the entire map *unless you enter a building* and the developers went bat shit insane with the detail to portray the city and era. How would you even know it was rushed? Ubisoft is huge and they put in atleast 3 teams to finish the game. As for innovations, who gives a shit. There is no game on that list that is as innovative as the asssasins creed series this generation besides skyrim or portal. oh and batman. Either way though, portal is an extremely short puzzle game with great narrative. Skyrim is a glitch fest that has the worst physical combat i have played this year. It plays like fallout without a vats system. Batman  would be goty for me, but assassins creed shits on it in the story aspect. And i like the gameplay more.

its an opinion, if you dont like it then too bad. 

radiantshadow92 said:

Its no joke. Assassins creed is glitchy in a way that all open world games are. There are no load times in the entire map *unless you enter a building* and the developers went bat shit insane with the detail to portray the city and era. How would you even know it was rushed? Ubisoft is huge and they put in atleast 3 teams to finish the game. As for innovations, who gives a shit. There is no game on that list that is as innovative as the asssasins creed series this generation besides skyrim or portal. oh and batman. Either way though, portal is an extremely short puzzle game with great narrative. Skyrim is a glitch fest that has the worst physical combat i have played this year. It plays like fallout without a vats system. Batman  would be goty for me, but assassins creed shits on it in the story aspect. And i like the gameplay more.

I Wrote the review for Assassin's Creed: Revelations AND Ratchet and Clank: all 4 one...I played both all the way through and played all of their modes, I did research to understand everything hat happened, and I can assure you both were massive disappointments to the series' they represent.  The only 'innovations' in Revelations is that stupid Tower Defense minigame...which was almost universally disliked.  The game had plenty of animation and gameplay glitches (one of the other team members played it and said the same thing), and it just wasn't that significant in any way.  Yeah the world was gorgeous, but it was glitchy as could be.  and no, not "glitchy like all open world sandbox games', there were none of these problems with ACII or Brotherhood.  It's a huge step down from the previous games in quality, and while I loved them, they weren't GotY either. 

Ratchet and Clank was just....had the same issues.  Wasn't bad but a huge step down from the previous games which weren't GotY material either.  I wish I could agree with that statement since Assassin's Creed and Ratchet and Clank were both two of my favorite franchises, but they were both massively lackluster and have no place on a "GotY vote" in a year when there were dozens of better games. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
radiantshadow92 said:

I Wrote the review for Assassin's Creed: Revelations AND Ratchet and Clank: all 4 one...I played both all the way through and played all of their modes, I did research to understand everything hat happened, and I can assure you both were massive disappointments to the series' they represent.  The only 'innovations' in Revelations is that stupid Tower Defense minigame...which was almost universally disliked.  The game had plenty of animation and gameplay glitches (one of the other team members played it and said the same thing), and it just wasn't that significant in any way.  Yeah the world was gorgeous, but it was glitchy as could be.  and no, not "glitchy like all open world sandbox games', there were none of these problems with ACII or Brotherhood.  It's a huge step down from the previous games in quality, and while I loved them, they weren't GotY either. 

Ratchet and Clank was just....had the same issues.  Wasn't bad but a huge step down from the previous games which weren't GotY material either.  I wish I could agree with that statement since Assassin's Creed and Ratchet and Clank were both two of my favorite franchises, but they were both massively lackluster and have no place on a "GotY vote" in a year when there were dozens of better games. 

thats a nice opinion u got there. 

Around the Network

Saw UC3 was leading o.O, awesome.

Had to throw in my cents = My vote is obviously.. WHAT WILL IT BE? Oh .. you've already seen my avatar and signature..

XD Uncharted 3!

But to the AC: Revelations,
It wasn't really a dissapointment from me. Then again I skipped brotherhood so Revelations felt kinda' fresh for me. The story was really intruigin and I can understand anyone that really loved it.

Well Revelations has the lowest meta of the series. I became bored with Brotherhood - AC has just become stale to me. After seeing the meta I'm definitely not getting Revelations.

WII Code: 1732 3363 1704 6441

mitlar37 said:
Well Revelations has the lowest meta of the series. I became bored with Brotherhood - AC has just become stale to me. After seeing the meta I'm definitely not getting Revelations.

I recommend getting it 6 months down the line when it's 20 dollars in the bargain bin, by then the glitches should be fixed.  If you're at all a fan, the story is worth seeing and the gameplay is good aside from some issues, but right now it's certainly not worth 60 dollars. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

The Witcher 2.

My GOTY would have to be Dark Souls. It would have been Skyrim, if not for the bug that makes the game unplayable after having a game save over 7mb.