By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - A modest proposal to solve the homeless problem in America....

Kasz216 said:

Did you totally not read my long extensive comments about the homeless in the other thread?

There isn't really a homeless problem that can be solved by anyone without revoking someones right to refuse treatment.

The problem with what your suggesting is, of course the problem that's already happening now.

Mass crime, sexual assaults and the like.

In general there is plenty in place to help the homeless, it's just a matter of getting the chronic homeless to use the services.  Everyone else is homeless for less then 2 months, 80% less then 3 weeks.

Truth is, it's extremly hard to be homeless in the US, which is why chronic homless people tend to moslty tend to have some sort of mental problem. (See HUD reports on homelessness).

Exactly. Those who have the wherewithal to seek help can find it in not necessarily ample, but at least adequate supply from private, public, or semi-private institutions. The rest are just diseased, though my argument would be that the mentally unfit lack the right to refuse treatment even if they do not pose any sort of threat to themselves or others, because they are by their nature legally unfit to make these decisions.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

Which homeless "problem" are you trying to solve?

If it is the temporary homeless who are often working and just find themselves "down on their luck" the problem can mostly be solved by providing them with clean and safe shelter until they can find more permanent housing; and there has been success with offering one way bus tickets for these people to somewhere they have family that can support them.

For the long term homeless who tend to have mental/emotional problems that are often made dramatically worse by drugs the problem is not easy to address. These people often refuse help, make choices that prevent you from helping them, or pose a risk to the people trying to help them (or other people they're helping). In many cases, unless you take away their rights there is little/nothing you can do to help these people.

spurgeonryan said:
The homeless in Chicago make more than most Americans each day. Not sure how it is in other citiesB and these were the first homeless I ever saw so I do not know how it is anywhere else.

I do not think most Americans would do any of this though.
Volunteers and churches. Government money when it is viable. Ight now it is not.

you live in chicago? 

..and chicago doesn't have a homeless problem.  travel down south and you will realize what a real homeless problem looks like.

''Apparently my modest proposal to illegal immigration in American got locked. So, the next issue to address is homelessness in America.''

It got locked because it was one of the worst ideas ever.

This 'solution' doesn't require any collabaration from anyone, so why don't you start letting homeless druggies into your house for a shower and a hot meal?

I have modest proposal to increase the quality of the average VGChartz thread: stop making threads, Richard.

Around the Network
badgenome said:
I have modest proposal to increase the quality of the average VGChartz thread: stop making threads, Richard.

harsh but true

There must be a way to capitalize off of these vagrants.
Some kind of factory, or tv show, or self sustaining commune...man sometimes our laws suck. Why can't we pay people in alcohol?

theprof00 said:
Some kind of factory, or tv show, or self sustaining commune...man sometimes our laws suck. Why can't we pay people in alcohol?

Have them pull rickshaws

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
theprof00 said:

Have them pull rickshaws

Homeless people are more used to sitting on the floor getting drunk, not being productive.

richardhutnik said:
snakenobi said:
and who pays for maintenance of the park?

the tax payers

You have the homeless in the park be trained to take care of the park, or appoint one of the homeless a head janitor and hire some kids after school to take care of the park.  Have the place for the tents be on concrete and you don't have to worry about taking care of the grass.  You would have one elss union job this way to, which taps into what Newt wanted.  This job role, which is unpaid will teach the lazy homeless a work ethic to.  It is a win-win.

There are workarounds to avoid having the tax payers pay for things.

but then people they will get the land for free

they can work the same way and contribute and buy some land somewhere and make tents