By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Where would the World be without America?

Do you just mean if the American Revolution never happened and you guys remained a British colony similar to Canada, or are you talking more along the lines of North America was never discovered by explorers and remained in control of the aboriginals?

Well in the first case (America being a British colony) there would have been a lot less slavery. Slavery ended in America in 1861 if I remember correctly, but it was more around 1810 (give or take a few years) in Britain. So that would mean probably a lot less African Americans living in America. Also America probably would have joined both World Wars sooner if under British influence which would mean we would have done even better in WWII since America could have joined in 1939 instead of the very end of 1941. America's support early could have given the allies a lot more momentum, maybe France wouldn't have fallen right away, etc. Basically we could have clobbered the Germans if America was there right away.

But if you are referring more to American never having been discovered, then hard to say how the world would be now. I guess the world would just be a lot more Europe-centric nowadays instead of being US-centric.

Around the Network

Die meisten Europäer wären Deutsch sprechen

much better off... in fact it goes beyond european colonies like america and all the way back to european countries, who established their colonies in the first place to basically rob countries of their resources and land

Less fat.

spurgeonryan said:
Marks said:
Do you just mean if the American Revolution never happened and you guys remained a British colony similar to Canada, or are you talking more along the lines of North America was never discovered by explorers and remained in control of the aboriginals?

Well in the first case (America being a British colony) there would have been a lot less slavery. Slavery ended in America in 1861 if I remember correctly, but it was more around 1810 (give or take a few years) in Britain. So that would mean probably a lot less African Americans living in America. Also America probably would have joined both World Wars sooner if under British influence which would mean we would have done even better in WWII since America could have joined in 1939 instead of the very end of 1941. America's support early could have given the allies a lot more momentum, maybe France wouldn't have fallen right away, etc. Basically we could have clobbered the Germans if America was there right away.

But if you are referring more to American never having been discovered, then hard to say how the world would be now. I guess the world would just be a lot more Europe-centric nowadays instead of being US-centric.

I mean whatever you want it to mean. Just no America.

I guess I mostly mean as it is rigght now. 

You think Great Britain would be able to handle it over the years? Or would other countries take over American land and do stuff entirely different? Mexico, Canadab Russia, China,France, etc....

Well that's a good question. I think if the US had not had their revolution in the 1770's then they would have gained their independence peacefully like Canada did late in the 19th century. Since France had no impact on Canada (besides Quebec) I doubt France would have any influence on America, nor would Mexico. 

I think where the most change in the world (without America as we know it) would occur would be during the cold war. USA was the biggest opponent to the USSR, so I've gotta think the Soviet Union could have done more without America challenging their every move. Maybe we'd all be communists today if not for America. We certainly wouldn't all be Germans (like Americans like to think) but we could all be Russians...

But if America were to suddenly just disappear from the map tomorrow I have no idea what would happen to the world. I guess China would become the world's superpower without America so I don't like the sound of that. I think without America here China would theoretically take over a good part of the world. 

Around the Network

Worse off.

That's hard to say as the last 200 years of human history would be completely rewritten.

Tv would be boring and Germany would have had a much bigger Impact on the World ? Without America Japan would have attacked Russia full force. We would have had two or maybe three Empires The German one
The Japanese one and the British one (If Uk would have agreed to end the War, Hitler respected the british people and didnt want to go to war with them). He aimed for Russia all along and with Japan taking over the Asian side the Russians would have had massive troubles.

But the absence of america would maybe block the rise of Hitler. Because the Black Friday would never have happened and the outcome of WW1 would maybe different.

We never know what would have happened but its safe to say everything would be totally different.

Tv would be boring and Germany would have had a much bigger Impact on the World ? Without America Japan would have attacked Russia full force. We would have had two or maybe three Empires The German one
The Japanese one and the British one (If Uk would have agreed to end the War, Hitler respected the british people and didnt want to go to war with them). He aimed for Russia all along and with Japan taking over the Asian side the Russians would have had massive troubles.

But the absence of america would maybe block the rise of Hitler. Because the Black Friday would never have happened and the outcome of WW1 would maybe different.

We never know what would have happened but its safe to say everything would be totally different.

Serbia would have been much bigger/stronger country, thats for sure