By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Why does most music made after ~2000 suck?

Do you believe the music industry has gone downhill during the 2000s?

Yes 79 69.91%

No 29 25.66%

Maybe 5 4.42%

Total:113
sethnintendo said:
Strategyking92 said:
because you are comparing how many ever decades you want to an almost 12 year window since the millennium turned over. I love the 80's to death, but I have come to appreciate some music of the 2000's. I mean, Shaggy didn't start singing or whatever you call it (nasal grunting(?)) until 2001 and as we all know "It wasn't me" was a masterpiece.

Actually, Shaggy had a pretty big hit with "Boombastic" in 1995.  Shaggy is a little different than most pop considering he is reggae/rap.  It seems to me that rock, rap, and alternative music have had severe let downs during the 2000s.  The fall of rock just doesn't seem like it should have happened.  It is like rock is just an afterthought.  I can listen to 50s, 60s, and 70s pop and not get annoyed.  I can even listen to women sing from those decades which usually isn't the case (Fleetwood Mac being a rare exception for rock genre).  However, I consider almost any female pop "diva" annoying as hell.  Auto-tune has only made things worse.

ha, darn me typing tired. I meant that song was popular past the 2000's and it ain't so bad. I was just being cheeky there I guess, lol . Nonetheless there is some good rock though nowadays. Stone Sour, coldplay (if you call that rock), Muse, NIN, disturbed sometimes... Rock is still as popular as it once was, but it is evolving to be fused with other genre's and is diversifying as well. Crappy ass Nickelback is a freak of nature. They do not deserve any success. Also Greenday sucks inthe same way.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Around the Network

No idea how to imbed soundcloud music, but check this out!

http://soundcloud.com/ipaneema/rock-your-weapon-at-the-cinema

I wholeheartedly agree that POPULAR music since the 2000s has sucked major balls.. not all music though, as there's actually some really good stuff out there put out over the past decade that I've really enjoyed, mostly in the indie and semi-underground (for America anyway) metal scene.

Personally, I pinpoint the beginning of music industry's downward spiral midway through 1997, right around the time manufactured pop singers and groups like Backstreet Boys and NSYNC, and later Britney Spears were forced onto the public and MTV's TRL started promoting this shit to all the teens and tweens every single day. Still, the late 90s had some memorable songs, but once 2000 hit all bets were off.

There's been a couple diamonds in the rough over the past decade though... Alice in Chain's Black Gives Way To Blue was the best album by a popular rock group I've heard in years, and big releases by some of my fave metal stalwarts like Iron Maiden and Helloween keep my PC and mp3 players rockin'. I'll leave you with one of my most favorite songs of the last decade to give you hope that music isn't completely dead yet...

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

BasilZero said:
Within 30 years from now, the youth of the future will look back and say the same thing to their music...and saying the 2000s music was good lol.

Wow, than music from 2030s will reeeaaally suck. No I'm joking :) There's still a lot of good music, but general standards got a lot lower.

edit: To be more precise, standards got slowly and progressively lower after the 70s.

I've been trying to listen to the local independent radio station more in Austin (101X). There are a few songs that I do enjoy that I assume are recent. Here is one of them and I'll try to link the others.  I enjoy the beat and I suppose the lyrics.

Around the Network

He sucks these days though, all he sings now is commercial garbage. :(

sad.man.loves.vgc said:

Song has a nice beat (especially the beginning).  However, those lyrics are a little interesting.  He does some crazy sounds (considering I don't know what language that is, assuming some Arabic language?)!  Still better than most pop music.  Sounds like Aladdin music.

I'm not sure...Is it just we getting 2 old for this or what.

Take my love, take my land..

If you can't relate to any of the music of the current times it generally means one thing: you've grown old.

If you're stuck in the 70s because those were the greatest years in your memory, there are odds that your musical taste will be stuck there as well. The same can be said for virtually any decade.

And often, what was most popular in its time becomes disposable within ten years, only to resurface in Biggest Hits Of the XXs collections or in "Where Are They Now?" segments, but I think most can agree that top 40 music is hardly the best gauge by which to judge the music of any given time period.

So if you can't find music that agrees with you from any given time period (whether it's the present, the last ten years, or whenever), it's probably because you either haven't really looked, or maybe you just don't know where to look. But ignorance of what was out there at a given time is a pretty thin excuse for any sort of absolutist declarations.

Probably the easiest way to find new music, new bands/musicians that appeal to one's individual sensibilities is by finding those whose musical influences are similar to or match one's own. More often than not, it will appeal to the listener.

greenmedic88 said:

1)And often, what was most popular in its time becomes disposable within ten years, only to resurface in Biggest Hits Of the XXs collections or in "Where Are They Now?" segments, but I think most can agree that top 40 music is hardly the best gauge by which to judge the music of any given time period.

2)Probably the easiest way to find new music, new bands/musicians that appeal to one's individual sensibilities is by finding those whose musical influences are similar to or match one's own. More often than not, it will appeal to the listener.

I liked your post but I will just shorten it to these two paragraphs that I want to respond to.

1) I believe that the top 40 during the 50s, 60s, and 70s were a pretty good gauge of the talent during those years, but that is probably because I enjoy rock the most.

2) Probably the best suggestion in the thread (although I hope someone else has stated this, can't remember).  I believe it was during my time on Myspace (no longer have any social media account) that bands were adding me based on profile searches that they did of their influences.  That was probably one of the best aspects of Myspace that small bands actually tried to recruit people that enjoyed their musical influences.