By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Looks like the PS2 will hold one more record forever!

well it was real games...

Most are pirated games but look at GTA4 sales, it shows there is a big overseas market for such games.

Around the Network

you will never really know, as most smaller countries aren't tracked and pirating is rampant.

PS2 is undertracked (impossible for us to get its SW right) and likely has like, 300 million sellers.

WOW! So many more million sellers on all platforms this gen than the previous gen! The whole 'expand the market' thing really worked!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs

PS2=Beast

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
BasilZero said:
lordmandeep said:
Yeah like for example I went to India in 2009 and went to a game store and people were buying the most random PS2 games...

I wonder if those sales are noted...

I think in some countires, some sales are unaccounted for unfortunately, would be nice to see a full fledged list of actual numbers.

I guess if those games were not bootlegs then at least the shipped numbers would be there i am sure all games are eventually sold at some price.   just picked up 4 GC sports games from FYE for about a dollar each.

@ onyide

Would you happen to know how many gaems came out for the PS2? The wii and DS just had so many games I think the sales were spread thin. Too many options.

@rainbow yoshi

First off will you be the first new user ever to get the newcomer ofthe year award two years in a row?

Secondly its total million sellers.

according to the Wiki page there are 10,828 titles.  THe Wii list has 1,219 and is incomplete. DS 1,150.  Going by those numbers, your theory doesnt hold much water. PS2 had that much more games than those systems. So either A) the PS2 library is that much better or B) THe PS2 is just that dominant that it ate alot of software sales, compared to WIi which didnt have the same total domination or DS which is a portable so I imagine that alot of people will only but so much games for it. Im going with B its less subjective

PS3 will probably end up beating the Wii but no way any console this gen will come close to the PS2. 360 Has to launch at least 75 games next year and they all have to sell over a million units for them to even think of getting that record.

spurgeonryan said:
BasilZero said:
PS2 wont be beaten in this generation in both hardware sales AND software sales, I can see that lol.

Well we already had a thread on that recently. Some say you are right. As of right now  the DS seems to have the lead in total sales, just not in shipments. i just think the DS will have plenty more shipments as well. Especially since the DSXL is still the same price as the 3DS( also a recent thread). So in a year when the XL is at 99 dollars we will see.

That's just because the PS2 is greatly undertracked here.  As of Sept '11, the PS2 is 4.5 million ahead of the DS in shipments.  It's most likely the same for sales, as well, since most stores aren't keeping much more stock of it than they need.  And last quarter, the PS2 and DS shipped the same amount of consoles, so there is a pretty good chance the PS2 may keep the crown of highest selling console.

I don't know and don't care. The XBox 360 & PS3 aren't going to sell over 120 million consoles anyways like the PS2 has, so I don't think it's a big deal. If these consoles were closer to say 100 million sold, then I could see someone taking a look at this record, but it's pretty much senseless to look at it now. There were over 100+ more developers within the market at the time of the PS2, so the comparison is pretty much mute. If this generation happened at the same time period as the PS2, the WIi would already be past 100 million sold and the PS3 and XBox 360 would be close to 75 million by now. Having a recession and less games being made, does make a significant difference.

'gaming till I'm gone'

spurgeonryan said:
thismeintiel said:
spurgeonryan said:
BasilZero said:
PS2 wont be beaten in this generation in both hardware sales AND software sales, I can see that lol.

Well we already had a thread on that recently. Some say you are right. As of right now  the DS seems to have the lead in total sales, just not in shipments. i just think the DS will have plenty more shipments as well. Especially since the DSXL is still the same price as the 3DS( also a recent thread). So in a year when the XL is at 99 dollars we will see.

That's just because the PS2 is greatly undertracked here.  As of Sept '11, the PS2 is 4.5 million ahead of the DS in shipments.  It's most likely the same for sales, as well, since most stores aren't keeping much more stock of it than they need.  And last quarter, the PS2 and DS shipped the same amount of consoles, so there is a pretty good chance the PS2 may keep the crown of highest selling console.

That is kind of strange that both consoles have shipped around the same amount last quarter when the Ds has been out selling it for a while now. Even with the 3DS out the DS has been easily out selling the PS2. Do you think all these extra shipments are the ones that are going to the new markets that Sony is pushing?

I'm sure a lot of the PS2s are being sold in regions that are relatively new to gaming.  The problem is they are harder to track.  ioi has already admitted that they have the PS2 greatly undertracked, but says it would be too hard to figure out where those sales go.  They are just striving to be more accurate with the new sales for it.  So for DS outselling the PS2, lifetime sales, the only real way to know for sure is to go by shipment numbers.  DS may have a great Christmas this year, so it may come closer to passing the PS2.  We'll just have to wait til late Jan-early Feb of '12, when Nintendo and Sony release their financial reports, to know for sure.