By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should i buy Skyrim? I did not like Oblivion or New Vegas

Should i get skyrim for the 360?

Yes it's a fun game 48 59.26%

No it's boring 21 25.93%

maybe, the game has its ups and downs 12 14.81%

Total:81
Icyedge said:
zuvuyeay said:
its hard to imagine people liking skyrim if they didn't like oblivion as it is the same gameplay and set in the same fantasy world

but no harm in giving it a go if you are thinking about it,it is definitely worth popping into skyrim if you like a fantasy rpg world and doing quests

Beside being open world I dont think they are that similar personally.

really,you don't think the gameplay is similar to oblivion

Above & Beyond

Around the Network
zuvuyeay said:
Icyedge said:
zuvuyeay said:
its hard to imagine people liking skyrim if they didn't like oblivion as it is the same gameplay and set in the same fantasy world

but no harm in giving it a go if you are thinking about it,it is definitely worth popping into skyrim if you like a fantasy rpg world and doing quests

Beside being open world I dont think they are that similar personally.

really,you don't think the gameplay is similar to oblivion

Similar as a wRPG is similar to another wRPG yes.

No, just no. Personally, I hated oblivion (About 3 hours clocked in), loved Fallout New Vegas (55+ hours of gameplay) and I'm having mixed feelings on skyrim so far (12 hours in) It's a good game but it was way over hyped for me. Everybody was saying it was the next coming of christ and it is just not that great. It's bleak, monotonous and it the fighting is pretty simplistic TO ME (so far) I pop oakflesh on myself, courage on my companion and whip out a two handed and just destroy everything.  I have yet to find an enemy that I have to really strategize for.

Still, it has a pretty cool story, good dialogue and voice acting. Not to mention the scenery, although i little lacking in color for my taste, is pretty breathtaking in certain areas. Also, the dungeons i've gone so far into are actually pretty cool, especially if they lead to a big boss fight, like the dwarven temple/cave i went into with a giant golem at the end. It was pretty damn cool. All I can say is rent for a weekend or so, when you really have the time to sit down and play for hours. Then make your own call on this one

In your case, I would not recommend buying it without trying it.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Areym said:

No, just no. Personally, I hated oblivion (About 3 hours clocked in), loved Fallout New Vegas (55+ hours of gameplay) and I'm having mixed feelings on skyrim so far (12 hours in) It's a good game but it was way over hyped for me. Everybody was saying it was the next coming of christ and it is just not that great. It's bleak, monotonous and it the fighting is pretty simplistic TO ME (so far) I pop oakflesh on myself, courage on my companion and whip out a two handed and just destroy everything.  I have yet to find an enemy that I have to really strategize for.

Still, it has a pretty cool story, good dialogue and voice acting. Not to mention the scenery, although i little lacking in color for my taste, is pretty breathtaking in certain areas. Also, the dungeons i've gone so far into are actually pretty cool, especially if they lead to a big boss fight, like the dwarven temple/cave i went into with a giant golem at the end. It was pretty damn cool. All I can say is rent for a weekend or so, when you really have the time to sit down and play for hours. Then make your own call on this one

In your case, I would not recommend buying it without trying it.

I think I might end up renting.

Also, I agree with your song of the year choice.

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

pezus said:
binary solo said:
Barozi said:
binary solo said:
I'm like you I didn't like Oblivion at all. I kinda want to try Skyrim, but given most people are syaing it plays more or less like Oblivion (both fans and haters) I don't think I'll be getting it. SOme people say the 3rd person mode is way better than the 3rd person in Oblivion. But I just don't trust it to be so. I really hate the concept and the implementation of first person in fantasy RPG.

Good story RPGs: Dragon Age: Origins, and way better gameplay (IMO) than Oblivion. For 360 console exclusive games I believe the Fable series is worth a look.

It's muuuuuuch better. Haven't you seen any videos ?

3rd person was horrible in Oblivion and Fallout because the animations were just so incredibly stiff. Looked like a totally broken mode back then

It's not just the animations. It's the actual 3rd person gameplay. If you tell me the 3rd person gameplay is as smooth and fluid as Demon's Souls then I might just give it a go. No I haven't seen many videos of 3rd person play, but what little I have seen is unconvincing.

It isn't. First person is still way better than 3rd person in Skyrim

I figured it would be. The game is designed to be played in FP mode and it seems like it's just too time consuming to alos make a 3rd person mode which is equally fluid to play. My decision to give it a pass seems to be the right one for me.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix