By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Do you think Sony will ever make a net profit from the PS3?

Dno said:
NJ5 said:
Sorrow880 said:
Once again though...it is hard to measure the true losses. If blu-ray is very successful in the future, that will be because of the ps3. However, that won't be included in the ps3's #'s. Also, how much does the ps3 help Sony's other departments? e.g. HD tv's, etc.?
As I said, it's the only reason I bought my Sony HD tv. W/O my ps3, I wouldn't have bothered going HD or even getting a Sony if I did (probably would have gotten a Samsung or Toshiba)

Regarding Blu-Ray, I'm a bit confused. Sometimes, Sony fanboys say that Blu-Ray is not only Sony's format, and that the numerous other interested companies from the Blu-Ray association will make its cost go down even without competition from HD-DVD. Then some other times, we hear people saying that Blu-Ray's royalties will make Sony recoup their massive losses with the PS3.

Which one is it, does Sony get a big share of Blu-Ray's royalties or don't they?

if they didnt they would not have almost lost the console war to keep it going.........duh....

What is this, proof by assumption of smartness?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
Sorrow880 said:
Once again though...it is hard to measure the true losses. If blu-ray is very successful in the future, that will be because of the ps3. However, that won't be included in the ps3's #'s. Also, how much does the ps3 help Sony's other departments? e.g. HD tv's, etc.?
As I said, it's the only reason I bought my Sony HD tv. W/O my ps3, I wouldn't have bothered going HD or even getting a Sony if I did (probably would have gotten a Samsung or Toshiba)

While you are right, this brings us into very tricky math that none of us will ever know the answer to for certain.

Remember that Blu-ray up to this point has also been a financial burden on Sony. There is no way their current sales are making up for R&D costs, advertising (who pays for the Blu-ray PS3 commercials... SCE or the Blu-ray division?), and a whole slew of other factors.

Considering that it's still far from certain that Blu-ray will actually be a success in the market (there's always the possibility that it will be the next LaserDisc) and how much Sony went in the hole to make the format viable, things are very much in the air.

If Blu-ray does succeed, it will certainly offset the losses on the PS3... But it could take years. Hard to tell, really. We just don't have enough information on the subject.

I agree wholeheartedly...There are a lot of "ifs"....like "if" blu-ray is successful...and "if" it lasts for "x" amount of years, etc. (And as NJ5 brought up, if they are getting royalty payments for each blu-ray sold, how much per disc? etc.)

There are no gaurantees for profitability, I just wanted to point out that many are being VERY narrowminded when they discuss the ps3 and profitability (or lack thereof).

Unfortunately, the TRUE loss or gain on the ps3 may never be determined because its effects are so far reaching.

The PS3 itself, software, blu-ray (which IF successful is a direct result of the ps3), brand name, TV sales, etc., etc...

Brand names bolster sales for the company as a WHOLE.

In layman terms...I own my own business and go to a few convention shows each year.   The one show cost around $12,000.  I NEVER sell anything directly at the show, so is it a $12,000 loss?  Directly to the books and eyes, yes, it's a loss.  But is it truly?  The brand recognition and advertising from the show MAY result in many sales for my business over the next few years, but it is impossible to measure.  Overall though, I feel promoting company name is well worth it.  This is just one of the extra ways the ps3 supports Sony's business as a whole.

The blu-ray media is another whole separate agenda, but COULD possibly make the console business seem small down the road, the losses insignificant according to many analysts such as Michael Pachter.

Sony's other divisions COULD see similar boosts due to the ps3,e.g. increased HD tv sales, increased blu-ray player sales, increased software sales, increased stereo/home theater equiptment sales, etc...  It's nearly impossible to measure.

Well, I now only have access to a PS3 & 360...Plan on buying a wii soon (lol, if I can ever find one available!) but will probably wait until some of the major RPG's come out like Dragon Quest & Tales, etc.

Anyhow, I'm so far behind in games to play that I'm not in a huge hurry (lol, haven't even gotten a chance to finish God of War II yet!) 

rukusa said:
Lol, kinda ironic that I clearly remember the same kind of thread about the 360 about a year ago.

Of course it will, if the 360 is proof of anything, then it takes time for a newly arrived console to gain profit.

Its awkward that people are questioning it about the PS3.

Actually, MS if DEEP in the whole for the XBox project (and even just the 360.)  They JUST started making a quarterly profit, which means they JUST started cutting in to the huge loss they have sustained.

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X
CrashMan said:
rukusa said:
Lol, kinda ironic that I clearly remember the same kind of thread about the 360 about a year ago.

Of course it will, if the 360 is proof of anything, then it takes time for a newly arrived console to gain profit.

(1)Actually, MS if DEEP in the whole for the XBox project (and even just the 360.) (2) They JUST started making a quarterly profit, which means they JUST started cutting in to the huge loss they have sustained.

(1) err.. what? I think you need to rephrase something here.

(2) Which is exactly what my point is. That can be added as an example.

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

RolStoppable said:
Parokki said:
Not that I'm doubting you guys, but could someone give me a source for how much money Sony made with the PS2? It'd be nice to have more than "some very credible guys told me on a very credible forum" if I later quote the numbers and someone asks me where they're from. =P

If you have them handy, then I'm also interested in the same numbers for Nintendo and Microsoft (-4bn$ wasn't it?) as well, but don't strain yourselves for little old me.

Renar filtered out the most important information of the financial reports for Sony's gaming division, so I am just going to quote him. Credit to him for doing the work.

http://www.sonet.co.uk/SonyInfo/IR/financial/ar/Archive.html

Sony Annual Reports Game Operating Income
YearEnd Mar 31 Yen(B)

2006 8.7
2005 43.2
2004 67.6
2003 112.7
2002 82.9
2001 (51.1)
2000 77.4
1999 136.5
1998 117
1997 57
1996 (5)

PS1 era (1996-2000) made 383B yen. PS2 era (2001-2006) made 264B yen.

PS2 *was* (and still is) profitable, but not as much as the PS1. Sony sold PS2 for too little to make as much as the PS1, before the next gen. box came along.

For Fiscal Year 2007 and 2008

Q2 (96.7)
Q1 (29.2)

2007 (232.3)

So far the PS3 era (2007-now) has lost (358B yen). So, they have now lost all they made on the PS2 (including what PS2 made the last year and a half), and are working on losing the PS1 profits as well.

Still all together for the last 12.5 years, Sony is up 289B Yen . At 115 yen/$ = $2.5B.

Hey Rol... how did you (or Renar) get the gaming division operating profit for 96-98? because I have just been looking through those reports and I couldn't find anything other than revenue and sales for gaming division... all the operating profits were lumped together for the company rather than being seperate.

anyhow.... I copied some of the charts from various reports to build up a picture... so this shows the sales revenue and operating profit from 1999 onwards, but also revenue for 95-98.

There seems to have been a change in their reporting methods between 2000 and 2001 by the way, because the lower left chart is from 2000, but shows lower sales than the 2001 chart (which i put on it's side).... I believe they may have reported sales to retail pre 2001, before changing back again recently.

Also I don't know what operating margin is, so don't ask me.

------
and finally, I guess the numbers Renar has given you do not include the R+D costs for the PS1, which will probably have been in the 95 or 94 report... so Sony won't have made 383billion Yen in the PS1 era.

and according to the 1997 report the xchange rate then was 124 Yen to $1... but unless it went up a lot before coming down recently I don't suppose that makes too much difference.

Around the Network
rukusa said:
CrashMan said:
rukusa said:

(1)Actually, MS if DEEP in the whole for the XBox project (and even just the 360.) (2) They JUST started making a quarterly profit, which means they JUST started cutting in to the huge loss they have sustained.

(1) err.. what? I think you need to rephrase something here.

(2) Which is exactly what my point is. That can be added as an example.

(1) Oops, whole = hole >_<

(2) My point is that the XBox 360 has yet to make a net profit.  So there is no guarentee that it even will, so I fail to see a correlation between the 360 and the PS3 being profitable.

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X
CrashMan said:

(2) My point is that the XBox 360 has yet to make a net profit.  So there is no guarentee that it even will, so I fail to see a correlation between the 360 and the PS3 being profitable.

Well some people believe it is gaining profit. And I can respect that so I see the same outcome for the PS3. Essentially I think it will go in the footsteps of the 360 in terms of profit. If they couldn't see a forecast of profit on either console then I doubt neither would be in production right now.

rukusa said:
CrashMan said:

(2) My point is that the XBox 360 has yet to make a net profit. So there is no guarentee that it even will, so I fail to see a correlation between the 360 and the PS3 being profitable.

Well some people believe it is gaining profit. And I can respect that so I see the same outcome for the PS3. Essentially I think it will go in the footsteps of the 360 in terms of profit. If they couldn't see a forecast of profit on either console then I doubt neither would be in production right now.

I don't see the PS3 necessarily having the same history as the 360 in terms of net profit, for several reasons:

1- The PS3 has had many more price cuts than the 360. The PS3 is the more expensive machine by far, yet it's being sold at almost the same price as the 360.

2- PS3's first party games have been extremely expensive to develop, yet some sell miserably to the point of being flops. This doesn't happen for the 360.

3- The 360 has had the RROD problem (partly cancels out the factors above, but it should be pointed out in this comparison for fairness).

4- Xbox Live subscription fees. There's no corresponding revenue source for Sony.

If you look at these factors alone, you can see that you're comparing two totally different situations.

NJ5 said:

I don't see the PS3 necessarily having the same history as the 360 in terms of net profit, for several reasons:

1- The PS3 has had many more price cuts than the 360. The PS3 is the more expensive machine by far, yet it's being sold at almost the same price as the 360.

2- PS3's first party games have been extremely expensive to develop, yet some sell miserably to the point of being flops. This doesn't happen for the 360.

3- The 360 has had the RROD problem (partly cancels out the factors above, but it should be pointed out in this comparison for fairness).

4- Xbox Live subscription fees. There's no corresponding revenue source for Sony.

If you look at these factors alone, you can see that you're comparing two totally different situations.

(1) Are you friggin kidding me? Yeah, seems like it. The PS3 has had 2 price drops thus far, while the 360 has had more than 2 through out the 2 years its been on the market. Get your facts straight, man. Its embaressing. In b4 you say "yeah but 2 price cuts through its first year, thats not good!" :P

(2) Bold assumption, nothing solid, so there goes that theory though. Aside from this since that topic has already been addressed by some large game developers, stating that next gen game developement in general lies around 20+ million or so. I dont see it be any different for the Sony's part. Maybe they look they're expensive to you since they are quite graphically advanced ;).

(3) Err, alright.... ain't doing me a favour though lol.

(4) Suddenly there's no such thing as DLC or Downloadable games on PSN. Yeah, tha-... oh wait ;)

The way I see it,  they're not different. This business as it stands now, is a competition. They're definitely the most alike in this field. Its really naive to put them into a proces where they have to get the same stand on each point to believe that one or another won't catch onto the other. Both of them take use of different strategies which they consider to be efficent and effective. So the possibility for profit, for both is existent.

rukusa said:
NJ5 said:

(1) Are you friggin kidding me? Yeah, seems like it. The PS3 has had 2 price drops thus far, while the 360 has had more than 2 through out the 2 years its been on the market. Get your facts straight, man. Its embaressing. In b4 you say "yeah but 2 price cuts through its first year, thats not good!" :P

(2) Bold assumption, nothing solid, so there goes that theory though. Aside from this since that topic has already been addressed by some large game developers, stating that next gen game developement in general lies around 20+ million or so. I dont see it be any different for the Sony's part. Maybe they look they're expensive to you since they are quite graphically advanced ;).

(3) Err, alright.... ain't doing me a favour though lol.

(4) Suddenly there's no such thing as DLC or Downloadable games on PSN. Yeah, tha-... oh wait ;)

The way I see it, they're not different. This business as it stands now, is a competition. They're definitely the most alike in this field. Its really naive to put them into a proces where they have to get the same stand on each point to believe that one or another won't catch onto the other. Both of them take use of different strategies which they consider to be efficent and effective. So the possibility for profit, for both is existent.

1) No, are YOU friggin kidding me!? The 360 has had a single price cut of $50 / 50 €, while the PS3 has had several price cuts (depending on the region) for a combined $200 / 200 €. As you said, "get your facts straight".

2) Read what I wrote, it's not just about development cost.

4) I said "subscription fees". Again, read what you're replying to, especially when you're so eager to demolish others' arguments.