By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - US Congress rules that pizza is a vegetable

Tagged games:

Your reaction:

LOLWUT? 54 81.82%

YESSS!! 11 16.67%

Total:65
Galaki said:
Well, at least they got to spend time to pass an important bill such as this. Unlikely those stupid annoying jobs/budget bills, such complete waste of time for unimportant issues.

Many people died pizza's were eaten trying to pass this bill... it was a worthy cause...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network
NiKKoM said:

btw... isn't Tomato a fruit? >_>

It is a fruit and a vegetable. 

A fruit because it contains the seeds of the tomato plant and a vegetable because it is the edible part of the plant.

megaman79 said:
mrstickball said:

Subsidies and regulations. Did you watch Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution? He went into the heard of the Los Angeles school district to try to get them to embrace healthier foods. No one on the council wanted it, because the government and corporations were giving them subsidies to serve horrible foods.

Comparatively, look at private schools: They have no regulations nor subisidies, and the result is much better, healthier food.

And yet Britain has much less of a problem. Honestly, sometimes i can't even tell if you're serious mrstickball.

You got a source on healthy food being served exclusively at private schools, because i was under the impression that private colleges serve pizza too.

I don't get your point you are trying to make.

America has a massive systemic issue with schools and regulation because of both state and school government. It yields worse results at higher prices. You say Britian has less of a problem, and I fully agree. They spend less on their schools and get more than we do. Heck, we've had recent TV documentaries on French schools which have trained chefs who make healthy food for the kids - yet they spend significantly less per student than we do.

Private colleges serve whatever they want to. Some do serve junk, but they are also allowed and free to serve healthier meals as well. I can look at my niece's menu at her school, and it consists of pre-made foods which are essentially junk foods: chicken nuggets, frozen pizzas, hamburgers and fries and so on. These foods are not cheap. Things that schools pay a premium to purchase, because the preparation is going on elsewhere.

Again, did you even WATCH Jamie Oliver's food revolution? The end result of the show is that LA essentially cans him from doing anything, and the ONLY school that lets him work on making food healthier is a charter school.

The reality is that if schools had the flexibility and willpower, they could make better and more nutritious meals for their students, but they choose not to. It does not cost any more to make a nice rice dish with plenty of veggies than it does a hamburger and french fries, or a homemade sub vs. a nasty pre-made pizza.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Jexy said:

$5-$10 bucks for a cookware set?  Where the hell are you shopping?  Sounds awesome, assuming I don't get flakes from that crap cookware in my food.  Pots and pans are not that cheap.  Nevermind the spoons, measuring crap, spices, etc.  And if you want the variety that you get with instafoods and fastfoods, then you have to buy a whole array of cookware. 

Question, I used to eat those healthy choice meals (had to have 3 of them to satisfy per meal).  Would you consider those healthy overall?  Obviously healthy compared to fast food, but would they go into the healthy category?

I'm not saying it's impossible, and it would be nice if more people had your knowledge of places to go and what to get to eat "healthy" but reality is reality.  How will people gain the ability to have EASY access to healthy foods? Who will give them the knowledge to know what their body really needs?

Also, you admit that junk food tastes better.  Keep in mind most people have only good tasting food as a luxury.  That is their relaxation for the day.  The industry needs to work on making healthy food taste better.  They have done a decent job, but more needs to be done.  If some fatso wants to relax with some chocolates, doritos, or pastries at the end of the day, it would be nice to have an alternative to relax to instead.  Sure a person can spend 30 min to an hour preparing and cooking food to taste good, or he can spend 1 second opening a bag of chips.  Time is money too.  Can't forget that. 

1) Even if you do spend money on a decent cookware set, the expense is greatly offset by the savings of making your own food vs. purchasing pre-made garbage. One of your arguments were about Healthy Choice meals. In general, you are going to spend $3 on those types of meals, when you could easily make the same thing for under $2. That is a net savings of $1 per meal. Over the course of a year, you would save a significant amount of money - more than enough to buy a brand new cookware set.

2) When I moved out, I knew almost nothing about cooking. Yet I make 99% of meals for my wife and I. All I did was go to AllRecipes.com or borrow cookbooks from the library. Cooking is very easy to do. It just takes the desire to apply yourself to reading and repeating the instructions. If people cannot cook, then they are to blame. There are too many resources out there to prevent anyone from making homemade, nutritious meals and saving huge on monies.

3) Generally, the junk food is significantly more expensive. Yesterday, I splurged on a bag of salt & vinegar chips and a mountain dew. The cost? $4. If I made the chips at home and instead made a Mt. Dew substitute like kool-aid, my actual cost on the entire endeavour would of been $1 plus my time. Given fact that I could of made a large batch of kool aid, I could of easily saved myself $10/hr by preparing the food myself. Quick? Not entirely. But we live in a society that no one wants to bother learning to do anything for themselves. That is what is killing us. No one can survive by themselves, and would rather export doing something to someone else. Let me tell you: It feels awesome when you can cook, repair your car, fix a leak, or any of those things by yourself. You also invariably save a lot of money doing it yourself, too.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:

1) Even if you do spend money on a decent cookware set, the expense is greatly offset by the savings of making your own food vs. purchasing pre-made garbage. One of your arguments were about Healthy Choice meals. In general, you are going to spend $3 on those types of meals, when you could easily make the same thing for under $2. That is a net savings of $1 per meal. Over the course of a year, you would save a significant amount of money - more than enough to buy a brand new cookware set.

2) When I moved out, I knew almost nothing about cooking. Yet I make 99% of meals for my wife and I. All I did was go to AllRecipes.com or borrow cookbooks from the library. Cooking is very easy to do. It just takes the desire to apply yourself to reading and repeating the instructions. If people cannot cook, then they are to blame. There are too many resources out there to prevent anyone from making homemade, nutritious meals and saving huge on monies.

3) Generally, the junk food is significantly more expensive. Yesterday, I splurged on a bag of salt & vinegar chips and a mountain dew. The cost? $4. If I made the chips at home and instead made a Mt. Dew substitute like kool-aid, my actual cost on the entire endeavour would of been $1 plus my time. Given fact that I could of made a large batch of kool aid, I could of easily saved myself $10/hr by preparing the food myself. Quick? Not entirely. But we live in a society that no one wants to bother learning to do anything for themselves. That is what is killing us. No one can survive by themselves, and would rather export doing something to someone else. Let me tell you: It feels awesome when you can cook, repair your car, fix a leak, or any of those things by yourself. You also invariably save a lot of money doing it yourself, too.

Yes, well if only those things were taught in school.  Art and music get cut first along with shop class and all that fun stuff.  I know I never had a cooking class (that would be sexist teaching women how to cook, despite men being in the class), and we weren't allowed to work on cars and stuff because of "safety" ... All it takes is one kid getting hurt and lawyers prevent all of that from happening ever again.

Also keep in mind that 5 bucks here and there seems a lot cheaper than $100 all at once.  When you live check to check, you can't afford to go too into debt, and people can't see anything thats not right in front of their face, like the future prospect of saving money down the road.  And like I said before, time is a big issue.  Most people don't have the patience to cook for a long time after working all day and probably being pissed off because their job sucks.  People can't learn if they don't know where to go to be taught.  Keep in mind, the less money people have, it probably means the less educated they are, and the less internet savvy they are.  It's just how it goes. 

BOOM!  FACE KICK!

Around the Network
mrstickball said:

America has a massive systemic issue with schools and regulation because of both state and school government. It yields worse results at higher prices. You say Britian has less of a problem, and I fully agree. They spend less on their schools and get more than we do. Heck, we've had recent TV documentaries on French schools which have trained chefs who make healthy food for the kids - yet they spend significantly less per student than we do.

This is true.  The beauracracy is so bad here.  That's why it costs about $47,000 a year to house a prison inmate in the United States.  Just look at this crap: http://www.ehow.com/about_5409377_average-cost-house-inmates-prison.html

Yet we say to ourselves... shoot, $47 grand?  It doesn't cost me half that much to live on my own, so where the hell is all that extra stuff going? 

Same with our schools.  Same with just about every government regulated department.  Everytime dems scream at the top of their lungs for repubs cutting funds from schools, saying things like how can we do this to our children?  Our test scores are so terrible because we dont spend enough bla bla bla... We want to throw more money at the problem.  And everytime we do that, it NEVER works.  Because the schools never see the money. 

BOOM!  FACE KICK!

Jexy said:
mrstickball said:

Yes, well if only those things were taught in school.  Art and music get cut first along with shop class and all that fun stuff.  I know I never had a cooking class (that would be sexist teaching women how to cook, despite men being in the class), and we weren't allowed to work on cars and stuff because of "safety" ... All it takes is one kid getting hurt and lawyers prevent all of that from happening ever again.

Also keep in mind that 5 bucks here and there seems a lot cheaper than $100 all at once.  When you live check to check, you can't afford to go too into debt, and people can't see anything thats not right in front of their face, like the future prospect of saving money down the road.  And like I said before, time is a big issue.  Most people don't have the patience to cook for a long time after working all day and probably being pissed off because their job sucks.  People can't learn if they don't know where to go to be taught.  Keep in mind, the less money people have, it probably means the less educated they are, and the less internet savvy they are.  It's just how it goes. 

I don't know, I'm from a different country and all that, but to me te idea that poor people wouldn't have a stove and some pans or know how to cook is ludicrous. Either you're very out of touch (and I don't mean that as an offense) or our definitions of poor are far too different. Be that as it may, getting cookeware and learning to cook is not that big obstacle you make it out to be. Fact is that eating is kind of really important and as people get poorer it's importance is made all the more obvious. So poor parents teach their kids these kinds of things, who in turn help them out.

I realise what you're referring to as poor are probably not people at any risk of actually going hungry. But just as the miserable cook, so could them. It's their option not to.

But none of this really matters when discussing meals on schools. Getting cooking equipment wouldn't be that expensive, specially not if the mid term is seen, provided they can cook cheaper than they can buy frozen pizza, let alone the long term with all the possible health ramifications.

So the only question really is wether they could. Now, maybe you guys have amazingly cheap frozen pizza around, but in most poor places in the world it seems like it's pretty obvious to people that the more local and less processed your food, the cheaper. So if the cheapest of the cheapest people do it, it sounds kind of non-sensical that it's too expensive to be done, while fast food kind of stuff is not.

Then again, I don't really know what is actually served or any of that, but as a principle it should hold.

Oh, nothing really much to do with this, but a few days ago we were buying things for a barbecue and this girl wanted to buy some Ruffles. The price of that shit is scary. I calculated it, and it was as expensive as twice it's weight of bacon. A couple days earlier I had bought sardines by the pound (well, kilogram actually) and they were just shy of nine times cheaper, pound by pound, than that "economic" bag Ruffles. Wtf, who buys this shit :P

tombi123 said:
NiKKoM said:

btw... isn't Tomato a fruit? >_>

It is a fruit and a vegetable. 

A fruit because it contains the seeds of the tomato plant and a vegetable because it is the edible part of the plant.

What? It's not a vegetable period.

"it is considered a vegetable for culinary purposes (as well as by the United States Supreme Court), which has caused some confusion" - link

Scientifically speaking, it's definitely a fruit

What a joke.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Do people still believe in those Jokers?