By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - US Congress rules that pizza is a vegetable

Tagged games:

Your reaction:

LOLWUT? 54 81.82%

YESSS!! 11 16.67%

Total:65

At first I thought "Ok, it's not a vegetable, but your typical pizza would contain a portion of vegetables easily. Perhaps this is just a technicality..."

But then I saw that this was the result of frozen food industry lobbying and that is just sad news.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:

I never actually got the point of this stuff... I mean healthy food is both cheaper... and well healthy.

So why do they go out of the way to make school meals garbage?

Sure Kid's aren't going to enjoy eating meals that are largely lentils and/or Rice as much, but hell, they can bring unhealthier food if they want then.

Subsidies and regulations. Did you watch Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution? He went into the heard of the Los Angeles school district to try to get them to embrace healthier foods. No one on the council wanted it, because the government and corporations were giving them subsidies to serve horrible foods.

Comparatively, look at private schools: They have no regulations nor subisidies, and the result is much better, healthier food.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
Kasz216 said:

I never actually got the point of this stuff... I mean healthy food is both cheaper... and well healthy.

So why do they go out of the way to make school meals garbage?

Sure Kid's aren't going to enjoy eating meals that are largely lentils and/or Rice as much, but hell, they can bring unhealthier food if they want then.

Subsidies and regulations. Did you watch Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution? He went into the heard of the Los Angeles school district to try to get them to embrace healthier foods. No one on the council wanted it, because the government and corporations were giving them subsidies to serve horrible foods.

Comparatively, look at private schools: They have no regulations nor subisidies, and the result is much better, healthier food.

I'll have to look it up.  I kinda figured it had to be something like that.

It's funny when I go grocery shopping I usually buy healthy just because it's way cheaper.  It's usually like the difference between a pound of apples vs one tiny micorwave pizza.

All my unhealthy eating usually just happens from me being lazy or having a craving and picking up some fast food on the way home.

I feel like a lot of people who think it's more expensive to eat healthy just don't have broad pallets that include a lot of the healthy food out there.

I remember when my highschool went "heatlhy."  All in all I think it was really just an attempt to raise revenue.  They stopped serving Hamburgers, Pizza and French Fries as part of the standard meal but instead charged a premium for them.

Hamburgers got way better after that too actually. 

Kasz216 said:
Jexy said:
I read that. But of course is MSNBC so why tell both sides of a story?

"School districts have said some of the USDA proposals go too far and cost too much when budgets are extremely tight. Schools have long taken broad instructions from the government on what they can serve in the federally subsidized meals that are given free or at reduced price to low-income children. But some schools have balked at government attempts to tell them exactly what foods they can't serve."

It's cheaper to serve them pizza than it is to get all the other vegetables every day. Schools can't afford the healthiest foods (ever go shopping for Kosher or health nut foods? It's twice as expensive to eat healthy) and they certainly can't afford the growing number of poor kids and illegals who are given free food. It's a sign of the times we live in and many other factors including lobbyists.

Besides, kids not exercising is by far and away the biggest reason for getting fat. And yeah, I do agree that it's ridiculous. Also, the pizza schools serve tastes like ass anyway, and I always dreaded Friday's because of it.

http://casualkitchen.blogspot.com/2010/03/its-too-expensive-to-eat-healthy-food.html

All it would take is empowering seasonal buying and some more simple on site cooking and you'd actually end up saving LOTS of money.

I mean shoot, I spend way more when I eat fast food then I do buy healthy food my girlfriend and i make at our house.

I like meat.  Meat is expensive.  I eat a lot during each meal, and about 4,500 calories a day, down far from when I was into athletics every day.  I'm also anosmic.  That means I cannot smell spices, therefore they rarely translate into much taste.  I'm not going to run on vegetables.   My body doesn't work that way.   And you've never eaten Kosher obviously... which means it HAS to have a K on it, which means its already double as expensive.  And even I don't eat Kosher specific anymore.  Just saying...

Also keep in mind, we aren't talking about one person, who if they had all the time in the world to cook and drive everywhere stuff was cheapest, they maybe could spend less.   Nevermind the fact that white bread at the store here is $0.80 a loaf, where as the healthy REAL wheat bread is $3.50 at the least.  We are talking about schools.  They buy in BULK from places that even Costco and Sams club would be considered small beans compared to many times for their meats, vegetables, etc.  On TOP of that, the government subsidizes them to make the costs even cheaper.  Keep in mind, if you're going through all that trouble preparing meals for one person to eat healthy, you'd have to pay the staff at every school to stay on for double the time and actually learn how to cook, as opposed to paying them minimum wage to take food out of a freezer and heat it up.  Not to mention there doesn't exist a place that schools can get the amount they need to feed the students from any regular grocery store and especially not smaller health food stores.  They wouldn't get the delivery either.  We aren't talking fast food cheap, which is actually expensive.  We are talking dirt cheap to free for many students.   Whole meals for $2.00 or less including drinks... not to mention, the child body actually NEEDS more than adult bodies as far as variety on the food table goes. 

I understand where you're coming from so don't worry there, but your option doesn't work for every individual, and it certainly won't work for any schools.  And obviously private schools can afford it because they don't take illegal immigrant children OR poor people since only wealthy people can afford private schools, which means they can pay for more expensive and healthier meals.

BOOM!  FACE KICK!

mrstickball said:

Just so you see what I wrote:  Obviously private schools can afford it because they don't take illegal immigrant children OR poor people since only wealthy people can afford private schools, which means they can pay for more expensive and healthier meals.  Public schools NEED subsidies in order to afford the cheapest foods, and by bulk, they are not the most healthy. 

When a parent sends their kid to private school and gives them $5-$10 for lunch money, they don't think about it because they HAVE money.  That's why most 1%ers have their children in private schools.  Not public.  In many schools, kids come to school with NO money and you STILL have to feed them.  I don't see any healthy corporation willing to feed kids in school for free because... they can't afford to do that and stay in business yet.  Remember, when a company bids for a government contract they have to be the LOWEST bidder. 

BOOM!  FACE KICK!

Around the Network

That kinda reminds me how snails were classified as fish by European Comission, because French snail farmers lobbied for subsidies...

Jexy said:
Kasz216 said:
Jexy said:
I read that. But of course is MSNBC so why tell both sides of a story?

"School districts have said some of the USDA proposals go too far and cost too much when budgets are extremely tight. Schools have long taken broad instructions from the government on what they can serve in the federally subsidized meals that are given free or at reduced price to low-income children. But some schools have balked at government attempts to tell them exactly what foods they can't serve."

It's cheaper to serve them pizza than it is to get all the other vegetables every day. Schools can't afford the healthiest foods (ever go shopping for Kosher or health nut foods? It's twice as expensive to eat healthy) and they certainly can't afford the growing number of poor kids and illegals who are given free food. It's a sign of the times we live in and many other factors including lobbyists.

Besides, kids not exercising is by far and away the biggest reason for getting fat. And yeah, I do agree that it's ridiculous. Also, the pizza schools serve tastes like ass anyway, and I always dreaded Friday's because of it.

http://casualkitchen.blogspot.com/2010/03/its-too-expensive-to-eat-healthy-food.html

All it would take is empowering seasonal buying and some more simple on site cooking and you'd actually end up saving LOTS of money.

I mean shoot, I spend way more when I eat fast food then I do buy healthy food my girlfriend and i make at our house.

I like meat.  Meat is expensive.  I eat a lot during each meal, and about 4,500 calories a day, down far from when I was into athletics every day.  I'm also anosmic.  That means I cannot smell spices, therefore they rarely translate into much taste.  I'm not going to run on vegetables.   My body doesn't work that way.   And you've never eaten Kosher obviously... which means it HAS to have a K on it, which means its already double as expensive.  And even I don't eat Kosher specific anymore.  Just saying...

Also keep in mind, we aren't talking about one person, who if they had all the time in the world to cook and drive everywhere stuff was cheapest, they maybe could spend less.   Nevermind the fact that white bread at the store here is $0.80 a loaf, where as the healthy REAL wheat bread is $3.50 at the least.  We are talking about schools.  They buy in BULK from places that even Costco and Sams club would be considered small beans compared to many times for their meats, vegetables, etc.  On TOP of that, the government subsidizes them to make the costs even cheaper.  Keep in mind, if you're going through all that trouble preparing meals for one person to eat healthy, you'd have to pay the staff at every school to stay on for double the time and actually learn how to cook, as opposed to paying them minimum wage to take food out of a freezer and heat it up.  Not to mention there doesn't exist a place that schools can get the amount they need to feed the students from any regular grocery store and especially not smaller health food stores.  They wouldn't get the delivery either.  We aren't talking fast food cheap, which is actually expensive.  We are talking dirt cheap to free for many students.   Whole meals for $2.00 or less including drinks... not to mention, the child body actually NEEDS more than adult bodies as far as variety on the food table goes. 

I understand where you're coming from so don't worry there, but your option doesn't work for every individual, and it certainly won't work for any schools.  And obviously private schools can afford it because they don't take illegal immigrant children OR poor people since only wealthy people can afford private schools, which means they can pay for more expensive and healthier meals.

I don't know where you are shopping.  Where I buy my wheat bread it's 99 cents a loaf.

Aside from which, you are talking about very specific conditions which largely apply to you... and in general a diet that probably isn't that healthy and largely seems to rely on a lot of "I don't wanna's."   Your food WOULD run on vegetables, and run better.

Even then a lot of what your talking about tend to NOT apply to schools.  Afterall, schools DON'T cook Kosher.

Also, your totally overestimating what actual cooks make for a living.  Which is...  not anymore then cafetria workers on a per hour basis.  Unless your a high brow chef classically trained, you hardly make anything.   Minimum wage to about - $10 an hour is about standard for both a regular chef and a cafeteria worker.  Cafeteria workers make less on average cause they only work 4-6 hours a day.

You can hire just about anyone to work in a place like a school or nursing home and make healthy food.  For cheap.

Heck, one of my friends is an executive pastry chef, at an important restraunt and she only makes 12 an hour.

Also, no.... plenty of places WILL deliver to you healthy food... for cheap, where do you think a lot of resteraunts get their food from?  If you think a grocery store, butcher or fruit market isn't going to deliver to a school and lose out on that buisness your crazy.

Aside from which... whole meals for $2 bucks is actually pretty expensive.  Though actually the cheapest they tend to make meals for is $2.66 now a days due to inflation, in large part due to expensive transportation costs.  Which is where frozen foods tend to hurt you.

Although even if you wanted to stick to frozen foods, there are afterally, plenty of healthy frozen foods.

*Jumps off building*

Next step: americans are vegetables...

Jexy said:
mrstickball said:

Just so you see what I wrote:  Obviously private schools can afford it because they don't take illegal immigrant children OR poor people since only wealthy people can afford private schools, which means they can pay for more expensive and healthier meals.  Public schools NEED subsidies in order to afford the cheapest foods, and by bulk, they are not the most healthy. 

When a parent sends their kid to private school and gives them $5-$10 for lunch money, they don't think about it because they HAVE money.  That's why most 1%ers have their children in private schools.  Not public.  In many schools, kids come to school with NO money and you STILL have to feed them.  I don't see any healthy corporation willing to feed kids in school for free because... they can't afford to do that and stay in business yet.  Remember, when a company bids for a government contract they have to be the LOWEST bidder. 

Again.... none of that is actually true.

First off, lowest bid contracts have REQUIREMENTS.

So if say... I offer to feed children with dirt for a penny a day... they don't have to accept it.

So you know, all it takes is setting nutrition requirments.

Secondly, most private schools AREN'T for the rich... and in general, private schools spend much less per child, on everything.  The Tuition people pay to get their kids in private school is actually less then the government pays for public school.  Hence the push for school vouchers.  More rich people put their kids in private school on AVERAGE however that's because they have the money to spend on schools that work better because they tend to avoid the wastefull school bueracracies, and in somecases even the teachers unions.  The only reason more poor people don't is because they don't have the money, often due to taxes they pay for schools anyway.  (Hence again, the push for vouchers.)

Thirdly, yes still by bulk, healthy foods are the cheapest.  Heck Armark who is one of the big food distrbutors ran one of the best, cheapest and healthy cafeteria's i've ever seen.