By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Online play to be charged on ps4?

Will online play be charged on ps4?

Yes 108 47.79%

No 98 43.36%

I don't bother 20 8.85%

Total:226
Slimebeast said:
I hope they dont but I think they will.

BTW, If you play Dark Souls on X360 without Xbox Live gold, cant you play online?

You can't play online portion at all.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
Jay520 said:

No company 'cares' about their consumers, they care about their consumer's money. That's why they're called companies, and not philanthropies.

True but I believe Nintendo has gamer's best interest at heart.  They don't release hardware that has terrible fail rates.  They don't expect their consumers to fork over 600 dollars for a new system.  They haven't gotten into the DLC crap.  I am sure you can find many instances where Nintendo screwed over their consumers but it is a little harder.  One example could be the 3DS. They dropped the price to 170 but they are going to offer 10 free games for those who signed up for the ambassador program.  They could have just stuck the middle finger to those early adopters and did nothing.  They usually try to make amends when they do fuck up.  How long did it take Microsoft to even admit to RROD or allow their early adopters to get free repairs which they deserved?  How about Sony and their PS1 and PS2 hardware?  Not the most quality products (especially the first models).

I know that you are extremely biased towards Nintendo, but don't lie like that.  Nintendo had for most of this gen almost completely ignored its core fans and audience, releasing only casual low quality (and even lower production value) games like wii music, wii party and nintendogs. Till 2009 they barely even noticed their core audience. Not to mention they put up hardware barely surpassing  last gen hardware specs. Not even any kind of HD at all Their online services are also a complete and utter joke compared to competition and they totally ignored 3rd party developers.And you mention PS1 and PS2, yet forget to mention GBA and Virtual Boy fiasco, despise the latter being much more serious and widespread? Gimme a break. And while Nintendo doesn't offer any DLCs, their Wii Ware classics are expensive as hell

If PS3 had kicked arse in console sales this gen, maybe they would have. But since the've been playing catch up since day one I don't think they've got enough gamer goodwill built up to make that move.

If Nintendo starts charging for online play, then maybe Sony will follow suit. There's no point in Sony being the only one to give away for free what the other consoles are charging for. I don't think Nintendo will charge for online play in Wii U.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

mantlepiecek said:
They won't charge for online gaming. Seems 360 fans haven't known this for a while, but PSN already has an answer for paid subscription of Gold and that is called as PS +.

Common sense tells you that they won't charge for online game play. And no, there is no "service offered" when you are playing online. You are using the devs servers and your own internet connection when playing online.

'Common sense'? Huh?

Common sense sauys they could and should, they're a business, and they're throwing money down the drain by not doing so. They don't offer PSN to you for free because they love you, they do it because this generation to be on par with XBL they needed too.

PSN+ doesn't generate near the same amount as XBL. Nowhere near.

Seece said:
mantlepiecek said:
They won't charge for online gaming. Seems 360 fans haven't known this for a while, but PSN already has an answer for paid subscription of Gold and that is called as PS +.

Common sense tells you that they won't charge for online game play. And no, there is no "service offered" when you are playing online. You are using the devs servers and your own internet connection when playing online.

'Common sense'? Huh?

Common sense sauys they could and should, they're a business, and they're throwing money down the drain by not doing so. They don't offer PSN to you for free because they love you, they do it because this generation to be on par with XBL they needed too.

LOL.

Common sense says MS is the only one offering online as a subscription. Sony doesn't need to go charging for it, this is like asking if steam is going to charge for online from next-gen, answer is no.

They are a business, but that doesn't mean they will start charging for "offline play" from next gen. I mean, they could charge for offline play as well, because, you know, they are a business and all. Pay $60 or else you can't play your PS4! So much revenue generated, NOT.

PS+ doesn't make anywhere near the amount of revenue as XBL of course it doesn't. Its just completed its first year on the market. XBL gold didn't generate much in its first year either. Maybe even less than PS +.

In case you didn't know, Sony isn't doing something, weird or unique by offering free online play. They are doing what almost the entire game industry is doing, offering free online play.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:

Sony fans boast about features but don't support the company with money like Nintendo and Microsoft's fanbase.

Don't blame hardcore Sony fans for the actions of casual Sony fans.

mantlepiecek said:
Seece said:
mantlepiecek said:

'Common sense'? Huh?

LOL.

Common sense says MS is the only one offering online as a subscription. Sony doesn't need to go charging for it, this is like asking if steam is going to charge for online from next-gen, answer is no.

Steam isn't making major losses. Sony need to majorly reform every aspect of their business including the gaming division, and if I were an investor I'd be asking why they're not charging for their online when Microsoft is.

They are a business, but that doesn't mean they will start charging for "offline play" from next gen. I mean, they could charge for offline play as well, because, you know, they are a business and all.

What a ridiculous example

Pay $60 or else you can't play your PS4! So much revenue generated, NOT.

PS+ doesn't make anywhere near the amount of revenue as XBL of course it doesn't. Its just completed its first year on the market. XBL gold didn't generate much in its first year either. Maybe even less than PS +.

In case you didn't know, Sony isn't doing something, weird or unique by offering free online play. They are doing what almost the entire game industry is doing, offering free online play.

The fact of the matter is Sony can charge for online and if they don't they're not acting like a business that isn't making money hand over fist.

thranx said:
Jay520 said:
sethnintendo said:

I hope they do just to spite Sony fans. I know companies need to make a profit but paying to play online is pretty much where I draw the line. Sure, I paid a monthly fee for PSO on GC and for WoW on PC. However, I will not pay to play online ever again. I'm done with MMO because of this reason (or at least pay to play MMO). I have never been jealous of anything Microsoft Live has so I see no need to pay for basic online gaming. This is why I think companies such as Microsoft really don't give a damn about gamers.

No company 'cares' about their consumers, they care about their consumer's money. That's why they're called companies, and not philanthropies.

There are plenty of companies that care for their customers. You dont bite the hand that feeds you. While I will not argue thet they dont care about the customers money, I will say that they also care for their customer.

Exactly. Good example is Nippon Ichi.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

No they aren't going to charge.You'd have to be so stupid to think that LOL!
They are going to just offer more on PS+ and make it like live service,but the online will always be free.

Seece said:
mantlepiecek said:

LOL.

Steam isn't making major losses. Sony need to majorly reform every aspect of their business including the gaming division, and if I were an investor I'd be asking why they're not charging for their online when Microsoft is.

They are a business, but that doesn't mean they will start charging for "offline play" from next gen. I mean, they could charge for offline play as well, because, you know, they are a business and all.

What a ridiculous example

Pay $60 or else you can't play your PS4! So much revenue generated, NOT.

The fact of the matter is Sony can charge for online and if they don't they're not acting like a business that isn't making money hand over fist.

The ridiculous example is just as ridiculous as charging for online gaming.

Sony already charges for something else on their PSN, called PS+. Tell me this, how will Sony explain why they are charging for online gaming when they didn't for the last two gen? Online gaming is actually becoming cheaper as time goes.