By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Vita screen uses Samsung AMOLED

source

PlayStation Vita Screen Uses Samsung AMOLED Tech, Reports Korean Paper

1hr 4m ago / Anoop Gantayat / 1 Comment

A report from Korean newspaper Hankyoreh reveals that the PlayStation Vita screen uses technology from Samsung.

In an article headlined "S.Korean IT firms expand market dominance," the paper writes that Vita is expected to use an AMOLED (Active Matrix OLED) screen from Samsung Mobile Display.

Other products using Samsung AMOLED screen technology include Samsung's own Galaxy tablet series, and phone sets from Nokia and Motorola, the paper writes.

You can read the Hankyoreh report in English here.

As NGP-Gears, the site that picked up this story, writes, Samsung has a number of AMOLED-based product. The latest Galaxy S II tablet uses Super AMOLED Plus technology. Based off Hankyoreh's report, it's unclear which generation of AMOLED technology the Vita uses.

[via Hachimaki]

How come they don't use their own tech? Weird.

Around the Network

"expected to", that's not exactly confirmation now is it. It has been known that the screen will be OLED, I presumed Sony's own, but maybe cost wise it makes more sense to buy the screens from the mass producer samsung no?

ithis said:
"expected to", that's not exactly confirmation now is it. It has been known that the screen will be OLED, I presumed Sony's own, but maybe cost wise it makes more sense to buy the screens from the mass producer samsung no?

They could reduce the cost at their own pace when it's getting cheaper.

Also, wouldn't it be wise to make your own tech visible, so that they could get some buyers to use their own OLED tech?

would be great since amoled has the best colors/contrast. black is really black not only dark grey. love my super amoled display

I wonder why the vita doesn't have a higher resolution for its giant screen. It would make me feel impressed.

Around the Network

because it would use more power and the developers would have to make their games worse then with worse graphics, lower fps or whatever? and since you won't see a big difference of the resolution if you don't play with the nose on you display it's a very good decision

Galaki said:

source

To give online forumers like Galaki more material to post more threads that serve their agenda of finding and posting anything negative about Sony?

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

As long as it is the best move financially, I am for it. Sony needs to get a money maker, and they need it quick. After that they can focus R&D, and switch to their own tech.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

What is really weird is you thinking it's weird.

hatmoza said:
Galaki said:

source

To give online forumers like Galaki more material to post more threads that serve their agenda of finding and posting anything negative about Sony?

Yup. You figured it out. I spent every waking moment to scour the webz for negative Sony news. I went as far as forcing them to use Samsung tech just so I could make a post about it.