By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony stock 24 year low. "No turnaround in sight".

Turkish said:
Seece said:
Turkish said:
Seece said:
Turkish said:
Seece said:
Turkish said:
I'm sure Sony will overcome this, they're the leader in electronics, generations of entertainment and consoles only start when Sony says so: PS2, dvd, blu ray, PS3, walkman etc.

Your posts are so embarssing, I swear you're a parody

Embarssing? Thats so embarrassing, I swear you're a parody.

Do you even know what that is? And your predictions are terrible too!

Probably know it better then you since I spelled it correctly. Oh you're so predictable crying about my predictions. I think my 10 months old predictions  are quite good, I probably made the most daring and gutsy predictions. Who are you anyway bitching about my posts, I don't even know you. Why'd you pop out out of the blue and annoy me.

I was talking about parody, and becuase you're one of the worst people on the site at the moment with your ridiculous posts.

'It doesn't start until Sony says so' rofl

And no, your predictions are just like every other sony fans on this site, optimistic.

"Worst people on the site"

You're really breaking my heart! What's with the immature and egregious insult? We're talking VIDEO GAMES here. If video game talk makes you so angry that you have to degrade the conversation and yourself into calling people "worst", "a parody" and probably carry on like a juvenile delinquent, I suggest you STOP talking about video games sir.

None of that was needed or necessary. I suggest you Control yourself and get a proper perspective order. I won't waste my time with you.

Because your posts and entire presense are a joke with lol posts like the one you made earlier. It doesn't make me angry, actually you make me laugh hence the parody comment, I thought you were trying to take the piss out of the SDF.

Around the Network
Seece said:
Turkish said:
Seece said:
Turkish said:
Seece said:
Turkish said:
Seece said:
Turkish said:
I'm sure Sony will overcome this, they're the leader in electronics, generations of entertainment and consoles only start when Sony says so: PS2, dvd, blu ray, PS3, walkman etc.

Probably know it better then you since I spelled it correctly. Oh you're so predictable crying about my predictions. I think my 10 months old predictions  are quite good, I probably made the most daring and gutsy predictions. Who are you anyway bitching about my posts, I don't even know you. Why'd you pop out out of the blue and annoy me.

I was talking about parody, and becuase you're one of the worst people on the site at the moment with your ridiculous posts.

And no, your predictions are just like every other sony fans on this site, optimistic.

You're really breaking my heart! What's with the immature and egregious insult? We're talking VIDEO GAMES here. If video game talk makes you so angry that you have to degrade the conversation and yourself into calling people "worst", "a parody" and probably carry on like a juvenile delinquent, I suggest you STOP talking about video games sir.

None of that was needed or necessary. I suggest you Control yourself and get a proper perspective order. I won't waste my time with you.

Because your posts and entire presense are a joke with lol posts like the one you made earlier. It doesn't make me angry, actually you make me laugh hence the parody comment, I thought you were trying to take the piss out of the SDF.

I suggest you don't call people you don't know emberassing or worst people on the site anymore. SDF or the Trey Brotherhood don't exist anymore, they were a natural response in a very hostile environment back 06-09 years, since there is no biased hatred against PS3 in the media anymore(or like it used to be), the SDF died out. Ofcourse there are splinter groups like General G on youtube, wich I'm a staunch fan of becuz he provides many lulz.

War, war has changed.

Turkish said:
Seece said:
Turkish said:
Seece said:
Turkish said:
Seece said:
Turkish said:
Seece said:
Turkish said:

I suggest you don't call people you don't know emberassing or worst people on the site anymore. SDF or the Trey Brotherhood don't exist anymore, they were a natural response in a very hostile environment back 06-09 years, since there is no biased hatred against PS3 in the media anymore(or like it used to be), the SDF died out. Ofcourse there are splinter groups like General G on youtube, wich I'm a staunch fan of becuz he provides many lulz.

War, war has changed.

SDF was a joke site made by Xbox fanboys to make fun of PS fanboys.  It was done by the same guy who did the Wii60 forums - a forum dedicated to hating the PlayStation brand.  But if you meant the general banding of PS fans back in the day - I understand.  There was a time when the media used any chance to try to trash the PS3 and when Xbox fanboy Gamestop employees harassed PS3 owners in their stores.

And no, I don't think Sony (or whomever buys them out) is going to stop making PS hardware as quickly as some people would like them to. 

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

ahh looks like the financial experts of the forums are out in force again!

So much ignorance being thrown around it's rediculous!

Look at The source's post for a bit of reason on the subject. Sony's losses aren't so much coming from the Playstation brand and sector of the company there main losses are down to the TV market and cost from buying other companys and R&D for uncoming projects. Sony usually sell at the higher end of the market these days they are never going to be the market leader in times of economic slump they tend to pull in high profits when the markets are good.

In no way is Playstation (the only bit generally we care about) brand going away this is nothing like the Sega saga compairing the two would be like compairing the co-op to tesco (small supermarket to Walmart)

the overseas currency is the problem.
Kowen's solution? Stop making hardware.

Around the Network
TheSource said:

It's true that Sony is losing a lot of money, but don't be overdramatic with these figures. A company that brings in tens of billions of dollars per year and makes everything / provides nearly everything under the sun could simply sell off its fatty worthless parts to sustain the elements of the company that continue to provide useful goods and services. Sony also has another advantage, if a big war were to come to East Asia, you'd better believe that Sony would be thrust into a General Motors like roll, as they can make just about anything the Japanese government would want from them. That's probably a long way off but all the currency bullshit going on globally typically comes before really big wars since it prevents people from making enough money to live happily en masse.

In theory its actually easier to defeat a company like Microsoft or Nintendo because they really only do one or two things well. If everyone started using phone OS and office software that wasn't made by Microsoft they'd be disrupted pretty severely, and if people stop liking Nintendo software, they'd be disruptable too. Problem is people like Windows, Office, Mario & Pokemon and no one has really figured out how to stop people from liking those things.

Unfortunately one of the biggest problems with "do it all" companies, is that they are good at a lot of things, but great at none of them, and in some cases, absolutely stink at others.  You state this yourself, in your first paragraph by saying Sony "could simply sell off its fatty worthless parts.".

Microsoft and Nintendo on the other hand have fewer, "fatty worhtless parts": they are more efficient companies IN THIS RESPECT as they have a tighter focus on what they want to deliver.   However, this does not make them weaker or easier to defeat, on the contrary it makes them the stronger competitor in a hostile environment. 

For real world examples of how this plays out, you need look no further then thier latest balance sheets: the more divirsified company is bleeding losses while the other two are in compartively, much better positions.  I would also argue that most business analyst would recommend to Sony that they tighten their focus on the things that they can become great on, and shed the rest.  NOT because this makes them easier to defeat, as you suggest, but because it makes them stronger.

That doesn't mean I agree that Sony is "doomed" or will be unable to turn this around, and I can dig you trying to re-frame the discussion in a way that isn't overly dramatic - I just don't agree with the reasoning you used to try to illustrate that.

kowenicki said:
theprof00 said:
the overseas currency is the problem.
Kowen's solution? Stop making hardware.

Your timing was piss poor.  I havent said that, not anywhere.  My last post also doesnt say that.

Look at my last post and construct a proper response if thats at all possible for you.

It's right in the OP.

"Heres an idea... could Sony become a software provider/publisher first and foremost?  Movies, Music and Games."

And why should I respond to your backtracking posts? You provide solutions with even more difficult obstacles, which makes me think that you're really just trying to say that Sony is fucked. You're not as diplomatic and business oriented as you make yourself out to be.

yo_john117 said:
goforgold said:
yo_john117 said:
kivi95 said:
Lyrikalstylez said:
So how the hell are they going to have the funds to launch both vita and ps4?
I suppose if either of these fail, than Sony might have to leave the console business all together

The day I will leave gaming :(

I've never really understood this line of thinking. 

Why would anyone quit gaming just because a company stops making games. You know if Sony somehow dropped out of the console race that there would be another company to take it's place.

It's not like there would be a lack of quality games coming out.

the difference between someone who cares about a console more than the games and someone who is a true gamer who goes wherever the games are and doesn't bother so much with console wars BS.

yes, there seriously would be a Severe lack of quality games

OT: they really need to sort that yen out and soon

No really there wouldn't be because there would be another console maker with all new games to take it's place and many of the games from the Playstation consoles would most likely find their way to the remaining consoles on the market.

I fixed the bolded for you to make it more accurate

care about a console more than games.........is such a thing even possible

and at the bold, how do you know...answer, you don't and it's just wichfull thinking, but the fact remains that without the above situation, a SEVERE lack of quality games would be the result of the industry depending only on MS and Nintendo

yeah wait all year to those three games that only release every OTHER holiday, and of those you'd be EXTREMELY lucky if just one is a new ip, I'm sorry but fuck that shit

pezus said:
I'm getting a serious deja vu here. I think I saw a similar thread here in 2007/2008, but then they were talking about the Playstation division and now it is reversed.

Well, I think Kowenicki took NJ5's place in the "diplomatic businesslike" Sony is doomed speils. 

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

kowenicki said:

You see this is exactly what I am talking about....

I'll forgive the terrible and numerous spelling mistakes.... but...

The "analysis" in your post is just ill-informed nonsense.  Their losses are due to a business model that DEPENDS on a weaker yen.  The TV losses and others are just symptoms of that approach and ongoing problem.  Their profit margin has always been very, very low and is now negative due to the Yen.  The Source is partially correct, but again is massively over-simplifying the problem.  He doesn't seem to factor in exchange rate issues that will remain and doesn't factor in the large debt that Sony have to re-finance over the next few years with a worsening credit rating that will further drag on the profit margin.  He also doesn't factor in Korean and Chinese wishes to replace the Japanese electronic giants, which to be frank they can do at will it seems. 

The whole business model needs reviewing.  Luckily Sony (unlike their "fans") realise this and are trying to do it.... but they really have their work cut out.

Playstation may be better off a stand alone business along the lines of Nintendo... but you have to wonder how and where the R&D input would come from.

The last point is the question that would defeat the notion of the PlayStation division which, while it brings in profits in the long run, requires the presence of other profitable divisions to remain functioning in the short run. E.g. Sony makes most of its money in the latter three quarters of the devices life, rather than the first quarter, but how much of that money would they burn in R&D if that's all they had to play with?

The PlayStation business model would need significant rewiring if it were to function independently

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.