By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii U vs PS4 vs Xbox One FULL SPECS (January 24, 2014)

HoloDust said:
JEMC said:

The PS3 numbers have always been that high. The problem is that such power can not be properly used for videogames and ends being wasted.

Oh, it just seems that numbers for its GPU are too high in wiki - I found on other places it's actually 211.2 GFLOPS.

Epic said PS3 have ~250 GFLOPS real usable from the 400 GFLOPS theoretical... you have 400 GFLOPS but can use at max 250 GFLOPS in PS3.

Around the Network

Some more numbers do guesstimates.

32MB eDRAM = 37.12 mm^2
Wii GPU + eDRAM = 156.21mm^2

So 119 mm^2 for the GPU only... which GPU in AMD catalog fits in ~119 mm^2???

ethomaz said:
HoloDust said:
JEMC said:

The PS3 numbers have always been that high. The problem is that such power can not be properly used for videogames and ends being wasted.

Oh, it just seems that numbers for its GPU are too high in wiki - I found on other places it's actually 211.2 GFLOPS.

Epic said PS3 have ~250 GFLOPS real usable from the 400 GFLOPS theoretical... you have 400 GFLOPS but can use at max 250 GFLOPS in PS3.

Yeah, that's the other number I saw around (255 if I recall it correctly) - I was guessing that it's very hard to squeeze all the theoretical juice from those vector4 shaders - perhaps Quantic is succeeding, but on ovreall, that Epic's figure is probably much more true. Gonna fix the table later. Thanks.

ethomaz said:

32MB eDRAM = 37.12 mm^2

Turks are 118mm^2 - so I'm guessing that e6760 rumour might be true after all (or equivalent, something like 7590m, but with DDR3)?

HoloDust said:
ethomaz said:

32MB eDRAM = 37.12 mm^2

Turks are 118mm^2 - so I'm guessing that e6760 rumour might be true after all (or equivalent, something like 7590m, but with DDR3)?

Remember that the 156mm^2 is a superficial number. These guys measured the chip carrier dimension, not the die size. (the "real" die is protected inside the ceramic carrier). Usually there is a (sometimes quite large) safe area around the border of the carrier. People may also not count the pad area on the die. Die size of the GPU probably is in the <120mm^2 range (unless they really risk it).

Around the Network
drkohler said:
HoloDust said:
ethomaz said:

32MB eDRAM = 37.12 mm^2

Remember that the 156mm^2 is a superficial number. These guys measured the chip carrier dimension, not the die size. (the "real" die is protected inside the ceramic carrier). Usually there is a (sometimes quite large) safe area around the border of the carrier. People may also not count the pad area on the die. Die size of the GPU probably is in the <120mm^2 range (unless they really risk it).

Thanks for clarification - I was leaning toward Redwood (it's 104mm^2 @40nm), but now I''m thinking they might've gone with 6550D - I think that's pretty much the same chip, just shrank to 32nm, and put into their A8 APUs.

HoloDust said:
drkohler said:

Thanks for clarification - I was leaning toward Redwood (it's 104mm^2 @40nm), but now I''m thinking they might've gone with 6550D - I think that's pretty much the same chip, just shrank to 32nm, and put into their A8 APUs.

Not likely.

AMD have said that WiiU's GPU was a 40nm one, and only GloFo (that I know) had gone with the 32nm with the whole GPU chips industry (basically TSMC) skipped the 32nm process and went straigh from 40 to 28nm.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

The Wii U is 40nm like JEMC said.

Seems like he knows what he's talking about...

I'm seriously getting worried about Wii U. Could it actually be so weak that it won't be able to play next gen games???

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

DanneSandin said:

I'm seriously getting worried about Wii U. Could it actually be so weak that it won't be able to play next gen games???

Weak? No. The Wii U just can't handle next gen content... for this gen content it will do better than PS360.