By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2011 Discussion Thread

#19 Dragon Age: Origins played on PS3, released 2009

A great step in the right direction for rpgs. I completed 4 play throughs which is pretty rare for my doing. The best part of the game for me was the group dynamics. The characters are the stars of the game. I loved talking to them at camp, to find out about their background and thoughts on the current situation. The banter between them while exploring really drew me in and made me want to experiment with all the different character combinations. The best thing about it was that it was all believable, mainly because they were ongoing conversations, unlike other games where characters just spew the same few lines the entire game.

The choices you make during the game are very well done too. Not simply good or bad, but situations that really make you think about the decision. The choices had real consequences too. In 1 of my play throughs I was left with only 4 characters at the end. The rest had left me on moral grounds.

The world is well realized, it actually had me interested enough to read all the background info. Quests and dungeons were great with plenty of variety. Cities and villages were all unique with plenty of things to do.

My favorite part of the game was exploring the deep roads. That is the best dungeon experience I've had in a long time. Crossing the bridge deep underground and following the scraps of Hespith's rhyme are the most immersive and memorable moments in gaming this gen for me.

After completing Skyrim I can still confidently say this is my favorite RPG this generation. It's a shame that DA2 is such a trainwreck compared to the first one. My dream game would be a Bioware RPG, DA: origins style, set in an openworld crafted by Bethesda.

List

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
snfr said:

20. Mario Kart 64 (N64)

In my opinion the best MK ever made. Sure, later MKs had more content, but none was as much fun as MK64.

It's not about content so much as balancing. This game's rubberband AI was the most egregious of any in the series (though i'll admit never playing Super Mario Kart). That said, it's the highest ranked MK on my list too, but won't come up for a bit still

My number 20 is Kirby 64

Same here, Mario Kart 64 is the best of them all, and to my knowledge, no other Mario Kart has 2 player Grand Prix. How else am I suppose to unlock tracks/characters, alone? Bah! that defeats the purpose of Mario Kart.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Michael-5 said:

Sadly, I'm in exam mode, so I'm going to request to be banned until the 21st. So the least I can do is catch up before I ban myself. I better see some comments when I come back, adding these 10 games took forever, and I think the represent the best in the buisness.

31. Super Smash Bros (N64)

Note: I play as Blue Kirby, must always be blue. Favorite character in all 3 Smash Bros. My favorite level is also the Zelda Temple, and the Starfox ship.

30. Super Smash Bros Melee (GCN)

Note: Super smash Bros Brawl did not make my list, but it's because I haven't played much of it yet. Haven't even had my Wii a year, so next year expect a few more Wii games, and likely Brawl.

Also, I still play as Blue Kirby, but Bowser and MewTwo are my secondary characters. Favorite Level is the Starfox ship (the remake from the N64 version) and the new Hyrule temple.

29. Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising (GBA)

28. Mass Effect (360)

27. Mario Kart Wii (Wii)

26. Kirby's Dream Course (SNES)

25. Pikmin (GCN)

24. Gears of War (360)

23. Forza Motorsport 4 (360)

22. Advance Wars: Dual Strike (DS)

21. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest (SNES)

RIP Rare.

Couldn't get myself banned.

No one quoted me? Doe no one find my favorite games interesting?

I thought someone would comment on Kirby, Dream Course is the best Kirby of them all, and one of the least known....would make a great Wii game...hmm...

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Machina said:

#20 - Gran Turismo 2 (PS1)

A real nostalgia pick. I went back and played this about a year or so ago and it's aged dreadfully, but it was fantastic for its time and I put hundreds of hours into it.

Gran Turismo 3 was the racing sim that started to turn me into a car nut. Had Sony released a steering wheel I'd have bought a PS2 steering wheel (didn't want an unofficial one, but I didn't know better back then).

Didn't play much GT2, but I've put well over 100 hours into GT3, and probably about 100 hours into Forza 3, 60-80 hours into Forza 2, 40 hours into GT5, 20 hours into Forza 4, GT1, GT4 and GT PSP. Car nut now, thanks to this game (well GT1 & 3), and Top Gear.

Michael-5 said:
Machina said:

#20 - Gran Turismo 2 (PS1)

A real nostalgia pick. I went back and played this about a year or so ago and it's aged dreadfully, but it was fantastic for its time and I put hundreds of hours into it.

Gran Turismo 3 was the racing sim that started to turn me into a car nut. Had Sony released a steering wheel I'd have bought a PS2 steering wheel (didn't want an unofficial one, but I didn't know better back then).

Didn't play much GT2, but I've put well over 100 hours into GT3, and probably about 100 hours into Forza 3, 60-80 hours into Forza 2, 40 hours into GT5, 20 hours into Forza 4, GT1, GT4 and GT PSP. Car nut now, thanks to this game (well GT1 & 3), and Top Gear.

GT3>>>>GT2 FACT!

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
Mr Khan said:
snfr said:

20. Mario Kart 64 (N64)

In my opinion the best MK ever made. Sure, later MKs had more content, but none was as much fun as MK64.

It's not about content so much as balancing. This game's rubberband AI was the most egregious of any in the series (though i'll admit never playing Super Mario Kart). That said, it's the highest ranked MK on my list too, but won't come up for a bit still

My number 20 is Kirby 64

Same here, Mario Kart 64 is the best of them all, and to my knowledge, no other Mario Kart has 2 player Grand Prix. How else am I suppose to unlock tracks/characters, alone? Bah! that defeats the purpose of Mario Kart.

In MKWii you could create your own GP for up to 4 players, and it's possible to unlock all characters and some of the bikes without doing the GPs at all. (ie playing online)

29 - Battlefield Bad Company 2 (pc)

28 - Overlord (pc)

27 - Infamous (ps3)

26 - Bioshock 2 (ps3)

25 - Empire Earth (pc)

24 - Mass Effect (pc)

23 - Uncharted (ps3)

22 - Counter-Strike: Source (pc)

21 - Age of Mythology (pc)

20 - God of War II (ps2)

19 - Portal (pc)

19. Sonic the Hedgehog (Mega Drive)

I have something of a love/hate relationship with Sonic games, in that I love some of them and hate others. The original remains the stand-out game in the series, and the iconic first Green Hill Zone is possibly the best zone in the series as well. Going through that first level for the first time was a memorable moment, as you speed through the level collecting rings, jumping on enemies and zooming through loops. But of course, there was more to it than that, as the rest of the game was pretty damn good as well.

VGChartz

19. God of War: Ghost of Sparta (PSP)

My favourite PSP game of all time and furthermore my 3rd favourite God of War game.

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

#19: Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii)
Release Date: March 9, 2008
Last Year: #21

Super Smash Brawl's hype train was absoultely massive. I checked SmashBrosDojo every night to see what new features Sakurai and Co. were implementing into Nintendo's newest brawler. Even before that everyone was giddy with glee when Snake arrived on the scene... and we all knew we were in for a treat. I knew the game was going to be something special when Sonic the Hedgehog was announced as a playable character... and when March 9th came around I was in line for the midnight opening, waiting to get my mits on the game. More than 500 hours later (my most played Wii game), Brawl is my favorite game in the series and my favorite fighting game of all time. Awesome new characters, a single player that was, while flawed, still a great experience, more stages (including a stage creator), an incredible soundtrack, and Final Smashes made this the Brawl to end them all. Yeah, tripping is lame, and the online was mediocre at best (all about the local multiplayer anyways), but Super Smash Bros. Brawl is a game of endless fun.

Main: Toon Link
Favorite Final Smash: Super Sonic

Too many dragons in your league...

But i'm quoting because your number 19 is the same as mine

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.