By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The most powerful console plagued by delays and loss of games??????

koopatrooper said:
n64 cartridges could hold a maximum of 512 mb ocarina of time for example

That's Mb - as in Megabit. That results into 64MB - as in MegaByte

Edit: Beaten... 

Around the Network

for cartridges weren't there also the problem of long production times, so if there were stock issue it would take a while to sort it out

RolStoppable said:

FFVII didn't have voice acting and the music wasn't CD sound. The vast majority of disc space was taken up by FMVs and prerendered backgrounds and of course there was a lot of redundant data on the 3 CDs.

Indeed.  If FFVII had been produced for the N64, it wouldn't have featured FMV, it would have featured realtime cutscenes in the 3D engine like other N64 games (OoT, for example).

Wait so the gamecube was supposed to be more powerful than the PS2?

Space isn't an issue that kept developers from making FFVII on the N64, the issue if price. even the 3 CDs were pretty much cheaper than a single cartridge. and now we'd need to get 13 times that in order to put it on N64? Not going to happen

On the other side, lets take a look at DVD R vs BD R

I took a look around wholesale sites.
http://www.tapestockonline.com/bluraydisc.html

BluRay Recordable cost $14 - 25GB capacity

http://www.checkoutstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DVDR8WI

DVD R cost $0.23 - 4.5GB capacity(technically 4.7)

It would take 5(22.5GB) to 6(27GB) for a DVD R to match the storage capacity of a single BR R.

6 discs cost less than $1.50.

A DVD can be read at how much faster than a Bluray disc towards the edges? Cause I KNOW there are longer load times when the data isn't right in towards the center of the disc. Switching out the disc can be inconvenient, but at least you're doing something to distract you from the time being lost switching out the discs, the same can't be said for agonizingly slow loading bars, or really long elevators, from what I hear.

So on a cost effective basis, you can get all the storage space you want while still being 9 times less than the cost of sticking it on a Bluray disc.
In terms of actual physical footprint, a standard game case today is the same size as a DVD case, which can easily hold 3 discs without any customization(just need to add one of those wing flaps in the middle of it, which are actually quite common). 6 DVDs would only take up twice as much physical space on your shelf as a single Bluray disc

Sorry folks, when going from Cartridge to CD, there was both a space, cost and convenience issue. With going from DVD to BluRay, there is ONLY a convenience issue, and that's ONLY if the amount of storage space needed takes up more than 3 DVDs.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Around the Network

The PS2 may have been difficult, but when it sold 800k in the opening weekend in Japan, there was no way any developer wasn't going to jump onboard. With that kind of opening sales, it must have been a real wakeup call for developers.

@jandre02
yes, u can compare resident evil of ps2 and gamecube
gamecube's version looks a lil bit nicer

Actually, there was no TRUE limit to how much an N64 cart could hold. It just came down to a price issue. They could always use some sort or bank-switching method, like NES games did, to get around the address space limits, but throwing more and more ROM chips into the cartridge starts to get cost-prohibitive(as has been mentioned).

@ grey, how come there are no loading scenes on Uncharted after you start?

Munkeh111 said:
@ grey, how come there are no loading scenes on Uncharted after you start?

uh, because that data, being at the beginning of teh game, could likely be also at the beginning of the disc as well. If I can take this moment to quote myself
"Cause I KNOW there are longer load times when the data isn't right in towards the center of the disc."

Thank you 

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her