By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why I want HD DVD to fight back!

Untamoi said:
If HD DVD would remain in the fight the result would be that BOTH formats will die out without reaching mass market. The reason why stand-alone Blu-ray players are expensive is because almost no-one buys them. Most models sell around 1000-5000 WW and some even less than that. Most consumers simply wait until unified format. If there won't be unified format they will simply keep their DVD's and skip HD formats altogether. Of course if dual format players become affordable, consumers will simply buy them instead.

Just think, DVD is a unified format and DVD players are very cheap now. DVD players too were very expensive for several years because there was no mass production. PS2 did drop the prices of DVD players because it was one of the cheapest DVD players at the time but first DVD players came out years before PS2 was even released. First DVD players were released as early as march 1997. Here is link about history of the DVD:

http://www.e-articles.info/e/a/title/DVD-History

Well, if both standards die before taking off, superseded by a better optical media, holographic perhaps, It wouldn't be bad at all, I would pass from DVD burner to Holo burner directly, saving 90-100 euros (the price range which I buy burners when they reach it) for the intermediate blue laser step.  I don't think this will happen, but i think I'll buy a dual standard burner to avoid risks, if HD-DVD won't be already dead when burners will cost 100 euros. I think this grim destiny is more likely for Win Vista, as Vienna is getting closer as Vista is still generally hated and despised.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

HD DVD has already lost, get over it. Soon Universal and Paramount will go Blu just like Warner and New Line.

Blu-Ray is the way to go. Digital downloads are a ways off. Not many people above the age of 30 are going to get into the download stuff. Going in to a store in buying movies is what people want to do, and they will continue to do it.

How about HD DVD NOT fight back so it can end consumer confusion, allow us to have one format, and let us move on with our lives when it comes to our media.

Currently playing:

Unreal Tournament 3, Warhawk, Rock Band, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy XII, DMC2, then 3, and Radiata Stories

"Stop the presses// It's been a while but I'm back in session// And in the past time my flow's matured more than adolescence// It's time to learn a lesson// So get you pen and your pad out, listen close, and take heed to this blessing"

inFamous. said:
No, we as consumers lose if hd-dvd attempts to "fight back".

Hd-dvd has nothing left, Warner companies NBC and HBO HD will soon go Blu and I will finally be able to purchase Entourage in 1080p. Let's all get behind one format, BLURAY.

Technically you can all do us a favor and get with the program (support bluray)..or continue wasting all of our time with hd-dvd...it's THAT simple.

HD-DVD has been a big win for consumers so far in that prices have dropped significantly.  If HD-DVD sticks around, gets another studio, and starts competing on price of discs, we'd see a *huge* win for consumers but it would also be very bad for Sony's bottom line.

Around the Network

At this point a single HD format will drive down prices quicker than two competing formats.

Warners comments make it clear they want to kill having two formats though, and they together with the other content owners will stick with this now I think - so it's out of consumers hands anyway - HD DVD will be removed from retail space, it will lost new content and that will be that.

BTW download or stream ain't gonna be mainstream for a long, long, long time.

I'd like it - but I'm realistic enough to admit that I'm in a tiny minority (really tiny to be honest) vs global marketplace for media on physical storage.

Do any of the single format supporters know anything about business?

Let me give you a scenario: Mom and Pop store sells said item for $15. Wal-Mart comes into town and sells the same item for $7.50. Mom and Pop store can't take that much of a loss, so they lower said item to $10. Wal-Mart lowers item to $6 and guess who wins? Wal-Mart. Why? The mom and pop store can't compete with a giant. Eventually, Wal-Mart offers sooooo many items at lower prices that local businesses fold. Guess what happens then? Without a direct competitor, Wal-Mart sets prices even higher because they can - and no one has a real choice.

The only reason the BR camp lowered prices was to counter HD DVD's charge to the $100 HD player. Had they kept player prices higher, the HD DVD would have expanded the margin of dominance even further. And in the standalone market, HD DVD is absolutely KILLING the BR camp. However, since the PS3 is a BR player, it is added in the sales figures, boosting BR's number.

Had Sony went with a DVD system and not BR, HD DVD would be killing BR, but the PS3 would be knockin' hard on the 360's door.

Competition = good for consumers... Basic economic principle... I just cant understand the people who want Blu Ray to win. They say it'll end consumer confusion but  its really  not confusing. For example..

Employee: Hi how can I help you?

Consumer: I wanted a high definition player but i'm so confused..

Employee: Well there are two competing types. Much like the betamax and vhs wars.

Consumer: oh yes i remember that

Employee: The main difference is Blu Ray has larger discs, and Hd Dvd have lower prices.

Consumer: well do movie companies make movies for both formats?

Employee: Here is a list of what companies back each format. Pick the companies you like and decide if the corresponding player is in your price range.

Consumer: Well thank you, that was not nearly as confusing as the Blu Ray fanboys were making it seem. Good thing my IQ is about 12

"""Why I want HD DVD to fight back!"""

==> because u know the Xboat is in danger ?
I m not joking, this my answer to your question.
It is why so many people are happy : they want, as me, the PS3 to win.

If u truly wanted to buy a PS3, you will not push so hard the "MGS4/FF" coming to Xbox360.

Also remember that the BR is still fighting versus the King DVD so they still need to drop the price to allow people to switch to HD.

Time to Work !

Wow, this is perhaps the most exciteable I've seen the Sony crowd since the PS3 launched. Expect alot more flamming and bannings in the near future on the boards.