By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata Unsure if Nintendo Will Sell Wii U At a Loss

Do you like this news?

Yes 27 22.31%

No 17 14.05%

Neutral 29 23.97%

Oh no! Something is wrong 10 8.26%

They deserve this 15 12.40%

I hope they don't sell it at a loss... 23 19.01%

Total:121

In stark contrast to Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo generally sells hardware at a profit, but the recent 3DS price drop has clearly caused the company to reconsider that stance. At a recent investor Q&A, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata revealed he's not yet sure if Nintendo will sell Wii U at a profit from day one.

"I have no definitive information on whether we will sell the Wii U in the red or on the suggested retail price for the hardware at this stage. I hope you understand that we are trying to take appropriate measures to handle the various issues we are aware of concerning the launch of the Wii U."

Source

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Around the Network

Crazy stuff when you think about it. This would've been unthinkable 3 years ago

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

They can soften the blow somewhat with the right type of Mario game headlining the launch.

Japan timed exclusive...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Lol, I knew this was gonna end up happening. The Wii was a subpar system that relied heavily on the motion controls out the box with the Wii titles. Later on they dealt a smart hand by releasing a mainline Mario title finally to keep it selling like gangbusters. Now the problem they face is that not only their "next gen" system having to be more powerful (considerably) than the HD twins, but also finding the right price point AND gimmick OR innovative side of things that differentiate it from the other systems while appealing to their core (which kept them alive even during GC days) as well as the blue ocean. Needless to say the next year will be interesting, but as usual Nintendo will be fine. Just release another pokemon game and a Wii series game and they will do just fine.

Make games, not war (that goes for ridiculous fanboys)

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.

Around the Network

$249 to $299.... cost will probably be around $300 I'd wager... or close to it.

Level1Death said:

They can soften the blow somewhat with the right type of Mario game headlining the launch.

I wonder if Super Mario Bros Mii will be a launch title

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Selling hardware at a loss could prove to be better, financially speaking, for them overall. I'm not concerned in the least about this.

What matters is whether or not they can deliver on their products. If they can do that, they'll be fine.

EDIT: Besides, if Nintendo sells their console at a loss, that means I'm getting more bang for my buck! I hope it has a nice jump in power. =D From a consumer standpoint, this is nothing but positive news I'd think!

Level1Death said:

YEAH...bring on GALAXY 3!

mushroomboy5 said:
Level1Death said:

YEAH...bring on GALAXY 3!

As good as the Galaxy games are, we all know Galaxy 3 really isn't needed. So, I'll take your comment as a joke.