By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - I am the 1%. Let's talk!

mrstickball said:
Mr Khan said:
mrstickball said:
dany612 said:
I'm pro capitalism, I'm anti corporate greed and corruption.

So how do you enforce this 'anti corporate greed and corruption'?

-Revoke corporate personhood

-Public funding for elections (funded by a tax that would itself be lower than the amount of money large companies probably waste on rent-seeking)

-Lowered corporate tax rates across the board that are offset by a ban on all possible tax loopholes or, barring that

-VAT in lieu of a corporate tax, gauged at a level to bring in equal revenue from US-based companies as well as additional revenue from pure imports

How do the last two effect greed or corruption, exactly?

The ability to acquire loopholes or special treatment for industries x, y, or z, namely in terms of taxation or trade duties, provide the main incentive for these companies to seek influence in the first place. If all exceptions to tax payments are pushed off the table, then it would reduce the desire of corporations to lobby or try to gain influence.

If you cannot influence candidates or get tax breaks, why lobby?

The only points of government intervention i'd leave in are the possibilities for subsidies in emerging industries with a strict definition of what qualifies as an emerging industry

Also a constitutional amendment enshrining certain environmental regulations as untouchable

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
mrstickball said:
Mr Khan said:
mrstickball said:
dany612 said:

-Public funding for elections (funded by a tax that would itself be lower than the amount of money large companies probably waste on rent-seeking)

-Lowered corporate tax rates across the board that are offset by a ban on all possible tax loopholes or, barring that

-VAT in lieu of a corporate tax, gauged at a level to bring in equal revenue from US-based companies as well as additional revenue from pure imports

How do the last two effect greed or corruption, exactly?

The ability to acquire loopholes or special treatment for industries x, y, or z, namely in terms of taxation or trade duties, provide the main incentive for these companies to seek influence in the first place. If all exceptions to tax payments are pushed off the table, then it would reduce the desire of corporations to lobby or try to gain influence.

The only points of government intervention i'd leave in are the possibilities for subsidies in emerging industries with a strict definition of what qualifies as an emerging industry

Also a constitutional amendment enshrining certain environmental regulations as untouchable

And there's the anti-capitalist statement. In by doing so, you've already prevented businesses from certain activities and industries. The only regulations that must be 'untouched' is when an entity actively endangers or destroys another's property in a tangible way. In such a case, its already codified and does not need additional regulation.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
Mr Khan said:

And there's the anti-capitalist statement. In by doing so, you've already prevented businesses from certain activities and industries. The only regulations that must be 'untouched' is when an entity actively endangers or destroys another's property in a tangible way. In such a case, its already codified and does not need additional regulation.

I would hardly think that making sure future energy bills cannot subvert the Clean Water and Clean Air acts (as those damn Marcellus Shale companies can) would qualify as damaging to trade or commerce. At least not more than the public health damage they would create would ultimately offset the market (like families that, due to marcellus shale drilling, have to buy barrelled water since their water can catch on fire, and surely that barrelled water money could go towards something more productive?)

It is the job of regulation to guarantee a level playing field, make sure that business only has to bother with business and can't dick around in other sectors, and to deal with nonmarket externalities that businesses have no immediate incentive to address

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

All i have to say is USA USA USA.

Pyro as Bill said:

http://www.ustream.tv/occupythefed

Can't embed.

Evil capitalist teaches the Communists a lesson.

Occupy the Fed would be a good idea.  To help shape the Occupy movement to make a major focus on the global banking system being broken, would help a lot.  That won't happen so long as no one bothers to go out and engage constructively.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
dany612 said:
mrstickball said:
dany612 said:

Guess!

Generally, the answer usually resolves to anti-capitalist interventions and regulations.

Corruption exists when there is a sub-optimal allocation of capital, and can be masked by subsidation.

BTW, watched most of the video. Schiff totally bamboozles them. The people debating him don't know what they are even talking about. One guy alludes to Adam Smith saying he favored government intervention, yet a quick browse in Google says he believed the opposite. Crazy uninformed rubes.

The stupid commie got Keynes and Adam Smith mixed up and then tries to make Peter look the fool.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Mr Khan said:

Since the entire "corporate personhood" debate these days revolves around political speech, how do you go about revoking it without abridging freedom of the press?

OT: Did this nitwit seriously just say that we would have slavery without minimum wage laws? Peter Schiff is a fucking saint for not piledriving him on the sidewalk.

Mr Khan said:
mrstickball said:
dany612 said:

Except that really isn't the case.

Publically funded elections actually increase corruption because the funding guidelines are generally so strict so as only the main establishment candidates of the two parties can every fufill the requirements.

In primaries, those shocking outsider non-comformists never get their chance to speak... or you allow private funding of primaries, and then you've solved nothing.

With no one but the establishment able to get into power, it's easier then ever to accept "hard" bribes and get away with it and there are no reprecussions as our choices become even more divided in the future then they are now.

Instead of Obama or Romney, you have Rush Limbaugh vs Keith Olberman.

Mr Khan said:
mrstickball said:

I would hardly think that making sure future energy bills cannot subvert the Clean Water and Clean Air acts (as those damn Marcellus Shale companies can) would qualify as damaging to trade or commerce. At least not more than the public health damage they would create would ultimately offset the market (like families that, due to marcellus shale drilling, have to buy barrelled water since their water can catch on fire, and surely that barrelled water money could go towards something more productive?)

It is the job of regulation to guarantee a level playing field, make sure that business only has to bother with business and can't dick around in other sectors, and to deal with nonmarket externalities that businesses have no immediate incentive to address

But if the government is forcing companies to limit their activities in the name of clean air, at the cost of certain processes, you are essentially forcing the market to react to their demands. This happens all the time in various industries, and causes major issues in terms of cost and research, as the government, not the business, dictates the practices.

Why do they feel the need to continually add and supplement codes to the laws? Their regulatory structure is not static. They continually add new codes to the act, which continues to restrict business and innovation. If it were a simple act that was static, I could potentially understand it, but when they undermine business after business, I have to believe the motive isn't as beneficial as you might believe.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.