By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - New Xbox getting Blu-ray?

o_O.Q said:
Lyrikalstylez said:
You guys know sony probably owns less than like 10% of blu-ray revenue right?

before you mentioned that who else in this thread said anything about sony? why even bring that up?

ot anyway what a lot of people don't realise though is that bluray does have some drawbacks like the slow read speed... i hope that next gen if it becomes a standard format for consoles that they sort those issues out or otherwise find some other alternative

it's in the op...

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Blood_Tears said:
Lyrikalstylez said:
You guys know sony probably owns less than like 10% of blu-ray revenue right?

The BDA group consists of 17 companies :

CyberLink Corporation
Dell Inc.
Hewlett-Packard Company
Hitachi Ltd.
Koninklijke Philips Electronics N.V.
LG Electronics Inc.
Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd. (Panasonic)
Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
Pioneer Corporation
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Sanyo Electric Co., Ltd.
Sharp Corporation
Sonic Solutions
Sony Corporation
TDK Corporation
Victor Company of Japan (JVC, minority owned by Matsushita), Ltd.
Warner Home Video Inc.

Sony definately owns more then 10%, likely high 20's in that aspect, just under 30% according to this article.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9874317-1.html?tag=cnetfd.mt

The top 4 ip holders of Blu-ray are Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, and Warner

yeah more than 10% of the ROYALTY REVENUE.. a lot less than anywhere near 10% of blu ray revenue.

Royalties have dropped dramatically and for discs are bugger all now...

Blu-ray royalty rates are expected to plunge with the formation of a global independent Blu-ray licensing company by industry heavyweights Sony, Panasonic and Philips.

A new license system will be established by mid-2009 as a "one-stop shop" for device makers, representing the interests of all Blu-ray patent holders. Licensing will be managed by an as yet unnamed new company, headed by Gerald Rosenthal - former head of intellectual property at IBM. Offices will be spread across the United States, Asia, Europe and Latin America.

As a result of the new licensing systems, royalty rates will drop by 40 percent for individual Blu-ray Disc, DVD and CD format licenses.

The fees for the new licenses will be $9.50 for a Blu-ray player and $14 for a Blu-ray recorder. Making Blu-ray Disc will cost 11 cents for read-only, 12 cents for recordable discs and 15 cents for rewritable discs.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/15591-B...vestories_week

So.... if they get 20% of the royalty, they are looking at 2 cents for every game disc and $1.80 for a player inside a gaming machine.

so, if the nextbox sells as much as the 360, they would pay sony about 11 mil in royalties for discs, and about 100 mil for the hardware.  I don't know, I think Microsoft would see that 111 mill figure and try and figure something else out.  

selnor said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
i would laugh hard at how many xbox fans will be like 'blu ray is the best! look my xbox has bluray' after all the shade they threw at sony.. it would be interesting..

It wouldnt bother me. If they use it for games so be it. I still wont be buying bLU Ray films. I have 1080p films on Xbox Live. Al of them which are impossible to scratch or break. Wy would I go backwards in my technology just because its there.

Personally, I prefer the 5.1 and 7.1 uncompressed audio and the extras you'd find on an optical disc.  So having more content and higher quality audio going backwards in technology?  You must be humoring yourself.

Highly doubt it.

I wouldn't see why not. Microsoft doesn't like to make up their own formats like Nintendo does, and Blu-Ray is really the option out there

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
MasterVG71782 said:
kowenicki said:
disolitude said:
Microsoft will be smart to avoid it as I am sure they will...

By next gen, bluray and any disc media in general will be a data bottleneck. Looks like Bluray will top out at around 12X read speed and even at that speed, most blurays have a maximum transfer rate of 350 megaBITS per second(44 MB). This is slower than most newer 7200 RPM hard drives. Not to mention that bluray or whatever drive just adds to the cost of the console which I'd rather have Sony or MS invest in to a better video card or more ram.

PS Vita has the right idea as does the 3DS when it comes to game storage. Solid State memory should be used with a minimum of 100 MB/s data transfer rate. Now we will see if SSD prices can be driven down enough to be used as gaming storage.

yep

blu ray is already old and slow tech... go solid state please.    Blu ray and any spinning media just holds games back.    

SSD plus downloads is the future.

Isn't solid state memory still quite expensive to be used in something like a gaming console? Also, I still wouldn't rely on a download-heavy console/handheld just yet, especially considering that not everyone has access to a very fast internet speed.

LivingMetal said:
selnor said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
i would laugh hard at how many xbox fans will be like 'blu ray is the best! look my xbox has bluray' after all the shade they threw at sony.. it would be interesting..

It wouldnt bother me. If they use it for games so be it. I still wont be buying bLU Ray films. I have 1080p films on Xbox Live. Al of them which are impossible to scratch or break. Wy would I go backwards in my technology just because its there.

Personally, I prefer the 5.1 and 7.1 uncompressed audio and the extras you'd find on an optical disc.  So having more content and higher quality audio going backwards in technology?  You must be humoring yourself.

Aren't Bluray discs supposed to be pretty hard to scratch, unlike CDs and DVDs...

MasterVG71782 said:
LivingMetal said:
selnor said:
PlaystaionGamer said:

Aren't Bluray discs supposed to be pretty hard to scratch, unlike CDs and DVDs...

They aren't impossible to damage, but they are far more scratch resistant than CDs and DVDS.

LivingMetal said:
MasterVG71782 said:
LivingMetal said:
selnor said:
PlaystaionGamer said:

They aren't impossible to damage, but they are far more scratch resistant than CDs and DVDS.

I haven't heard of many reports anywhere saying people have had their Blurays scratched all to hell and back, like with CDs and DVDs :P

Of course, I take extra special care of my discs, so maybe I'm just the exception.

MasterVG71782 said:
LivingMetal said:
MasterVG71782 said:
LivingMetal said:
selnor said:
PlaystaionGamer said:

I haven't heard of many reports anywhere saying people have had their Blurays scratched all to hell and back, like with CDs and DVDs :P

Of course, I take extra special care of my discs, so maybe I'm just the exception.

And I still have plenty of CDs and DVDs, and they all work fine.  Doesn't the Xbox 360 employs DVDs as a game storage medium?  So wouldn't settling for the Xbox 360 over the PS3 would be going backwards in technology according to Seece's logic?