By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - New Xbox getting Blu-ray?

MasterVG71782 said:
Unless they're coming up with their own format, I see them going with Bluray. DVD has been showing its age this gen, especially with the fact that some multi-platform titles come on one Bluray and multiple DVDs. I'm sure there are some developers hoping MS adopts the Bluray format.

And they're getting more common. Although there are exactly huge numbers, more and more major releases are having to uses more than one DVD, and pretty sure it used to just be RPGs. Now there are racers (Forza 3 and 4), shooters (Battlefield 3, Halo 3: ODST, Dead Space 2) and whatever LA Noire is classed as, in addition to your RPGs like Mass Effect 2 and Skyrim (I'm assuming that will be a multi-disc game).

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
disolitude said:
Microsoft will be smart to avoid it as I am sure they will...

By next gen, bluray and any disc media in general will be a data bottleneck. Looks like Bluray will top out at around 12X read speed and even at that speed, most blurays have a maximum transfer rate of 350 megaBITS per second(44 MB). This is slower than most newer 7200 RPM hard drives. Not to mention that bluray or whatever drive just adds to the cost of the console which I'd rather have Sony or MS invest in to a better video card or more ram.

PS Vita has the right idea as does the 3DS when it comes to game storage. Solid State memory should be used with a minimum of 100 MB/s data transfer rate. Now we will see if SSD prices can be driven down enough to be used as gaming storage.

yep

blu ray is already old and slow tech... go solid state please.    Blu ray and any spinning media just holds games back.    

SSD plus downloads is the future.

downloads are the future, but right now, its still optical disks,

I'm at university and get a horrible connection at the best of times, quite a few students have the same problem, so potentially, thats a lot of consumers (because university students are a group which play quite a few games), lost already because of how hard and awkward it is to download the games

i would laugh hard at how many xbox fans will be like 'blu ray is the best! look my xbox has bluray' after all the shade they threw at sony.. it would be interesting..

PlaystaionGamer said:
i would laugh hard at how many xbox fans will be like 'blu ray is the best! look my xbox has bluray' after all the shade they threw at sony.. it would be interesting..

It wouldnt bother me. If they use it for games so be it. I still wont be buying bLU Ray films. I have 1080p films on Xbox Live. Al of them which are impossible to scratch or break. Wy would I go backwards in my technology just because its there.

PlaystaionGamer said:

The problem is Sony went to it too soon. It made their console too expensive thus hurting the Playstation brand and ultimately put them billions in the red. It even allowed MS's Xbox brand to thrive.

What does Sony have to show for it? A piece of bluray royalties. Unfortunately, movie sales have dropped due to digital competition, rentals, and piracy. I don't even know anyone that buys movies anymore.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
mchaza said:
MS have come out and said that they can stream 1080p videos anyways now and waiting catchup on peoples internet before moving into it fully (around 2013-2016 is when Microsoft, amazon, apple, google all start moving on cloud gaming i believe) and also just because your friend works at Gamestop doesn't mean he has a edge over you when it comes to these things, if your friend was a engineer over at MS then the rumors have some credibility and even if MS have stated there plans to gamestop there wouldn't be no company wide email to all employees stating that they have spoken with MS and that here are there planes.

i know he dont have a edge but he did go to vegas and play all the new games coming out and talked to a lot of companies so makes me think he could be right.. he always talks about xbox when im a ps3 guy so who knows

if they do get it i think it'd be for their games, we all know they need more space on disc so they wont have 3 disc games and can make the games look better also

kowenicki said:
disolitude said:
Microsoft will be smart to avoid it as I am sure they will...

By next gen, bluray and any disc media in general will be a data bottleneck. Looks like Bluray will top out at around 12X read speed and even at that speed, most blurays have a maximum transfer rate of 350 megaBITS per second(44 MB). This is slower than most newer 7200 RPM hard drives. Not to mention that bluray or whatever drive just adds to the cost of the console which I'd rather have Sony or MS invest in to a better video card or more ram.

PS Vita has the right idea as does the 3DS when it comes to game storage. Solid State memory should be used with a minimum of 100 MB/s data transfer rate. Now we will see if SSD prices can be driven down enough to be used as gaming storage.

yep

blu ray is already old and slow tech... go solid state please.    Blu ray and any spinning media just holds games back.    

SSD plus downloads is the future.

Isn't solid state memory still quite expensive to be used in something like a gaming console? Also, I still wouldn't rely on a download-heavy console/handheld just yet, especially considering that not everyone has access to a very fast internet speed.

Lyrikalstylez said:
You guys know sony probably owns less than like 10% of blu-ray revenue right?

before you mentioned that who else in this thread said anything about sony? why even bring that up?

ot anyway what a lot of people don't realise though is that bluray does have some drawbacks like the slow read speed... i hope that next gen if it becomes a standard format for consoles that they sort those issues out or otherwise find some other alternative

sweatface7 said:

so my friend who is the manager at gamestop where i live says the new xbox will be getting blu ray... who else has heard this? i have a hard time believing this bc blu ray is owned by sony and 2 other companies...

if anyone has word of this... POST IT!

Not this again....  >.<

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.