By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Obama announces end of Iraq war, troops to return home by year end

great news, now we just have to wait for the Afghanistan war to come to a close.

Around the Network

Just waiting for the defense contractors to push for a war with Iran or Syria next. No way will they sit by idly while they no longer collect government money.

Fox News headline: Thousands of soldiers and defense contractors to lose jobs, thanks to Obama.

fordy said:
Fox News headline: Thousands of soldiers and defense contractors to lose jobs, thanks to Obama.

biased libral Headline:Fox News headline: Thousands of soldiers and defense contractors to lose jobs, thanks to Obama.

'bout time.

Iraq is now unlikely to collapse into anarchy, not collapsing into anarchy is about the best the US can hope for. Now they've just got to get Afghanistan to the same position...

Around the Network

Hate to ask... but who's peter?

fordy said:

Actually it'd be thanks to Bush.  This falls right in line with the Bush timeline i believe.

Kasz216 said:
fordy said:

Actually it'd be thanks to Bush.  This falls right in line with the Bush timeline i believe.

Point 1, it was a joke, and point 2, do you REALLY believe Fox News would pin this on Bush even if it WAS his fault?

Rath said:
'bout time.

Iraq is now unlikely to collapse into anarchy, not collapsing into anarchy is about the best the US can hope for. Now they've just got to get Afghanistan to the same position...

If they fall into anarchy there will be another civil war. with the cycle repeating of USA going into a country to help them out, leave with no ongoing help so they then turn into what they were  before the USA invaded.

it happened with Vietnam and Afghanistan when they helped defeat the soviets, USA will not learn from their history its a simple as that and have to go into those countries again if they want them to follow they "city on a hill" idea

Honestly I am happy by this announcement. Assuming that the Iraqi Army is capable of defending itself which I am still unsure of. Honestly the Iraqi security forces haven't been able to stop the bombings and the attacks on minorities. Christians are still being attacked often and the secuirty forces seem either incapable of doing anything or unwilling to do anything. Also Iraq not being able to do much to stop the PKK is worrying.

To many terrorist organizations operate in Iraq for the US to completely leave. I really wish the Iraqi Government the best of luck but think it may have been in their best interest to allow a single military base to be in Iraq with at least 500 sodliers who would help Iraq's security forces continue fighting Al Qaida and PKK and such.

I just hope that Obama redeploys a lot of those forces to Afghanistan. It appears that the US is rushing to leave before the job is complete. Yes the war is going way longer then we had hoped, but if the Afghan Government isn't capable of protecting its borders and people and democratic reform is not completed then we all need to stay till the job is finished!

If western forces leave Afghanistan pre-maturely we will face the same thing again in 10 years or so. The Taliban will re-assume control over a long geurilla war. Then the Taliban will host terrorist organizations who will in turn attack targets in the western world. Afghanistan needs to be a stable self sufficient democracy before we all leave!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer