By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Smash Bros. Brawl Online is lacking

RolStoppable said:
Vizion said:
Well, if you disconnect, then it should register as an automatic loss.

It should register as an automatic triple loss and a double win for the other person. I think that would cause disconnections on purpose to decrease by a significant margin.

Unless people make a false account to pump up their friends rankings and vice versa.  Which is a problem with granting wins vs players who disconnect in the first place.  Not to mention, hopefully there will be different types of games online in the firstplace.

If there isn't a stock battle option I won't go near it... or likely Brawl at all in that case.  Stock Battle matches involve more skill if you ask me.

Around the Network

You wont buy Brawl if you can't have stock matches on the Play Anyone online mode?

I have to say I'm pretty disappointed at N's apathy towards online in this game. I bought Mario Strikers and had a great time with the online mode (even though it was kind of basic), to the point where I completely ignored the single-player mode. I find it hard to believe that N has decided to remove rankings and as a result ranked matches(hugely important imo) and smacks of penny pinching rather than any attempt to simplify or streamline the experience, again imo.

I honestly can't think of a way N could further simplify/gimp the online function without removing it completely!

If I sound bitter it's because this game is best played against other humans and none of my friends are into video games, at least not to the point where they'd prove any competition, f**k's sake Nintendo!!

Hus said:

Grow up and stop trolling.

Kasz216 said:
RolStoppable said:
Vizion said:

It should register as an automatic triple loss and a double win for the other person. I think that would cause disconnections on purpose to decrease by a significant margin.

Unless people make a false account to pump up their friends rankings and vice versa. Which is a problem with granting wins vs players who disconnect in the first place. Not to mention, hopefully there will be different types of games online in the firstplace.

If there isn't a stock battle option I won't go near it... or likely Brawl at all in that case. Stock Battle matches involve more skill if you ask me.

There is a stock battle option, where have you been?

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
Kasz216 said:
RolStoppable said:
Vizion said:

Unless people make a false account to pump up their friends rankings and vice versa. Which is a problem with granting wins vs players who disconnect in the first place. Not to mention, hopefully there will be different types of games online in the firstplace.

If there isn't a stock battle option I won't go near it... or likely Brawl at all in that case. Stock Battle matches involve more skill if you ask me.

Has that been one of the updates?  No mention of it has me worried they may have taken it out, since the online option seeed to just be... click and your online in a game.

Around the Network
SeriousWB said:
You wont buy Brawl if you can't have stock matches on the Play Anyone online mode?

Nah, I won't buy brawl if it doesn't have stock matches on local play.  Well even then I probably will but like 99% of my time on the previous two games were in stock battles.

I won't go online with brawl if it doesn't have stock matches however.  I just don't find timed matches any fun.  I turn the timer off in all the fighting games i play too. 

Kasz216 said:
BenKenobi88 said:
Kasz216 said:
RolStoppable said:
Vizion said:

Has that been one of the updates? No mention of it has me worried they may have taken it out, since the online option seeed to just be... click and your online in a game.

Well one update talked about how you can choose which items you want on and off. The decision on whose item choices are made by a lottery...so if you want all hammers, there's likely a 25% chance you get all hammers...that's how I read it.

And if they let you choose items...how could there not be a stock option? There was a time and items button on the top right if I remember, and I'm guessing the time or stock will also be chosen by a lottery of the players' choices.

If not, it doesn't really matter to me...I'll be either playing with friends in-house, or playing against friends or acquaintances online, and there will certainly be stock matches there.  The random battles don't appeal to me as much.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

I really hate leaderboards (except with games like Link's Crossbow Training, because you don't compete with each other directly) but why are no names shown? It really enhances the experience for me when you can see you're owning Paco from Mexico's ass*

*Just an example. I actually love Mexicans and Paco is a lovely name.

Kasz216 said:
RolStoppable said:
Vizion said:

Unless people make a false account to pump up their friends rankings and vice versa.  Which is a problem with granting wins vs players who disconnect in the first place.  Not to mention, hopefully there will be different types of games online in the firstplace.

If there isn't a stock battle option I won't go near it... or likely Brawl at all in that case.  Stock Battle matches involve more skill if you ask me.

false accounts = impossible when tied to a UNIQUE wii friend code.

dgm6780 said:
does anyone understand percentages?

All the time in the world wont make your %'s any higher , unless you are playing at a really high level . Raw stats are pointless (as they are a measure of who has the most time), but comparing Wins v Losses, Kills v Deaths, K v D w/each weapon, W v L w/each character, Disconnect % are valid stats that a TOP NOTCH online game will keep and rank publicly. They measure your level of play and how much time you have spent in the game. A TOP NOTCH online game will also have a way of dealing with high disconnect % players, ie negative consequences and public consequences. Nintendo just plays it safe and kiddy when it comes to onlne play; they dont even try to make a TOP NOTCH online game.

Team Fortress 2 is one of the most popular online FPSes to date and yet it has no leaderboards. Know how they track who the best players are? By forming clans and holding tournaments like sensible people.

Not many games keep leaderboards these days because statistics gathering is going to be highly flawed no matter how it happens.

If you want to wave your e-penis at people, Halo 3 is the game for you, but if you actually want to demonstrate in an official setting that you have skill, tournaments are the only way to go. 

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks