By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Warner paid 500$ to be BR exclusive !!!

Ok. I give up, Sony paid WB off, and BD sux

Around the Network
Blip said:
Dno said:
elnino334 said:
ok im sick of theWHo cares is not our money. If anything HD-DVD only made someone or a company lose half a million dollars out of their billions LOL. About time they got aggressive. Seriously Blu-ray aka Sony thought that they where just going to run shit without even trying. We all know digital distribution is where the future is headed so they lost a great opportunity to eliminate hd-dvd early on and now have to hope somehow Blue-ray takes off before digital distribution is here. It will become just like mp3's where people will just download things into their computer or TV etc and not want to deal with physical media.

ok im sick of this download movie shit. People ITS NOT GONNA HAPPEN. blu-ray will be the future intill EVERYONE gets high speed contection and Hardrive space. i mean how long has itunes been out and the CDs STILL sell better.

movies its a lot different because im NOT gonna watch a 1080p movie on my 17inch pc. i will watch it on my 40 inch 1080p HD TV will sourrond sound and thats only possibile on blu-ray. and lastly itunes is out already and its popular. there is not ONE movie download service as popular as itunes and face it will all download our songs for free yet CDs STILL sell in the millions. Movies take longer and you need more space and our current broadband can hardly run Xbox live with out it failing (in the x-mas season google it if you havent heard) so huge downloads will not make a impact for another 10 years

It may have won the battle between the two hd formats, but I still think it does not have a future.  As someone who has bought around a thousand dvds over the last decade, I can tell you in all certainty I will be damned if I ever buy a BluRay product.  Not only because of my disdain for Sony, but having purchased quite a few HDDVD's I have realized that  HD is just not worth it (and yes, I've got 1080p).  I am not replacing my movie library again just so I can see moles on peoples skin and such - dvds are most certainly good enough. Considering I actually took the plunge and have come up with this conclusion, I can imagine that it will be rejected by most casual dvd buyers.  I know quite a few people who did not give up on their vhs until the last couple of years.  To convince them that they have to start all over again for not that much advancement is folly.  I feel quite confident that by the time the dvd market has played out, the technology for downloading will be in place.  I think there are other factors at play here such as the world's march towards going green.  The millions upon millions of plastic wrapped paper and plastic cases that will not have to be manufactured and shipped, not to mention that our gas prices keep going up and when one can save a trip to the store with a few clicks over the internet, I absolutely think a push for downloading will be embraced.  Also with a likely recession in place or on the way, I think this will futher impede any embracement of higher priced HD product, not excluding the big tvs and perhaps the more expensive of the video game consoles.  Temporary - yes, but any delay of full embracement of the hd format is just another day closer toward downloading.

And you are correct to point out the cd vs. downloading market.  Yes cd's still sell millions, but the argument should be that it is actually dvds that will continue to sell millions during the period of  the physical distribution's decline.  The decline is already beginning.  Look at the video rental stores closing left and right, the vast bargin dvd bins in most stores.  I think the dvd industry is just grasping at straws in hopes of avoiding what the music industry is going through now.  I am sure 10-15 years ago, very few, myself included  would believe the state the music industry is in right now.  I thought when I first starting hearing about music downloading that it would be a fad and who would want to give up the liner notes and album art.  The movie industry doesn't even have that going for them - it is just a matter of time.

yea but blu-ray will have mad sony MILLIONS by time anyone gets it right. you no the 50% or americans dont have high speed internet right? that means blu-ray will be here for another 6-7 years bet on it.

In response to news article: Well duh, of course they were paid off! Companies don't usually make bottom line hurting decisions out of "the goodness of their hearts".

Who cares... Money changes hands all the time both physically and virtually for these types of deals... The timing of the announcement kind of indicates that something may have been up...

But, this is not the first time nor the last that decisions are made for money... Its called business... Like it or not...

Onimusha12 said:
DMeisterJ said:
@ Onimusha12

I am a sony troll!? Wow, Armageddon must be near. My argument is right there, you are celebrating a rumor as if it's true. It's like you get some sort of sick pleasure when you are able to say anything horrible about sony, and are severly bitter when something their way happens, and must say something to try to bring down people from being happy. You genuinely do not like Sony as a company, for no other reason than that you own a competing console, and feel compelled to post in any thread that sheds sony in a good light. You troll the sony games databases, and post negatively about games in there, because you have nothing better to do. You are a blatant troll. Also, I was banned for a not-smart reason. I called someone dumb. People have called me and many members on this thread more than that, but I got banned, didn't make multiple accounts, took my week off from this site, wasn't a nuisance and came back.

I see nothing good is going to come of furthering this fruitless game. You claim I'm celebrating a rumor when I've done nothing by state its likelihood. You claim I've raided the PS3 game database with trolling when I've maybe only commented on one or two games. You're clearly of a hypocritical double standard disposition here so any attempt to reason with you will just further your own dellusions of victimization.

You'd better shape up if you don't want a second ban.

Wow so after not being able to win an arguement you start issuing subtle threats

We don't need to waste any more words here in this thread. The ever improving ps3 sales will speak louder than words. And Sony wining the format war will only push the console more. I suspect this is the reason why you are so vexed.

Around the Network
epsilon72 said:
In response to news article: Well duh, of course they were paid off! Companies don't usually make bottom line hurting decisions out of "the goodness of their hearts".

Eps, supporting both formats was hurting their bottom line. The HiDef war was supressing support from both consumers and retailers. Having to tailor the same titles to 3 differnet formats increases production costs. It encourage WB to flush money down a blind alley by developing a hybrid disc (compatable with BR and HDDVD), which it had to abandon because no other studio was willing to support it (I think Paramount had signed on, but pulled out when they contacted to be HD exclusive).

If there was really a net profit in supporting both format, WB would not have been the only studio still in this position.

Onimusha12 said:

Desperate moves like this are not new to Sony and the other companies invested in Blu-Ray. This is to be expected and explains quite clearly the recent resurgance in Blu-Ray exclusivity. Either way, more money in the hole, wonder if Sony and their constituants will ever see a profit

Onimusha12 said:

I'm perplexed as to why you call my posts trolling when they're far more constructive and relevant than most of yours. Unlike you I've also never been banned for my actions so I really don't see you in a position to lecture.

You're also the one exagerating, not I, I bashed no companies, merely pointed out their behaviors as being typical and responded to the winings of people in this thread which I see you made no attempt to address for the very reasons you allegedly chose to single out my posts. It would appear you've painted your own bias here.

yes what you are doing is considered trolling, though you are bordering between being a troll and being plain guillible. there is no proof that BDA actually paid off warner and your stating it as if it were fact. warner joining blu-ray is a very logical step. Warner said that they  wanted to choose only one format and that they would let the consumer decide.
blu-ray has been outselling HD-dvd by 2:1.
which side would warner choose?

then suddenly out of the blue,according to some HD-dvd fansite with secret reliable sources, warner decides to back up HD-dvd but was paid off by BDA at the last moment.

as i have stated before, this is probably just some diehard HD-dvd fan dribble trying to comfort HD-dvd's lost by saying they would have won if BDA didnt cheat, that BDA didnt win through their own merits.

as an analogy

how would you feel if you won gold in the 100 meter dash olympics through years of hardwork and training only to have people accuse you of using drugs to win. That you would have lost if you didnt cheat, and no matter how much you and the judges try to deny it, the public would not listen to you but would rather blindly listen to your rivals diehard fans with secret sources that said you cheated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

also am i the only one noticing how jaded ps3 owners have become?
its like everytime theyre in an argument they just give up and say
"playstation sucks and so does blu-ray" or something to that extent.

that is not healthy practice...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

So lets say you are trying to get one of the biggest media holders to jump on the side of your format. How do you make it more attractive? You give a longterm discount on licensing fees. Now as long as your format looks like it will be the victor this is a huge savings, and would encourage them to be exclusive.

Now take some insider who takes an estimate of the huge media company and all their possible products and guesses what the total savings might be. They might come up with a number like half a billion. Now that is a tasty tidbit.

In this scenario someone was paid off, but as they said there was no pile of cash given. It was a backroom deal, but it was sound business. So everyone in this thread is right. Huge profits for Warner but only because they have so much to contribute and only because they realized that Blu-Ray had won.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

halil23 said:
Dno said:
elnino334 said:
ok im sick of theWHo cares is not our money. If anything HD-DVD only made someone or a company lose half a million dollars out of their billions LOL. About time they got aggressive. Seriously Blu-ray aka Sony thought that they where just going to run shit without even trying. We all know digital distribution is where the future is headed so they lost a great opportunity to eliminate hd-dvd early on and now have to hope somehow Blue-ray takes off before digital distribution is here. It will become just like mp3's where people will just download things into their computer or TV etc and not want to deal with physical media.

ok im sick of this download movie shit. People ITS NOT GONNA HAPPEN. blu-ray will be the future intill EVERYONE gets high speed contection and Hardrive space. i mean how long has itunes been out and the CDs STILL sell better.

movies its a lot different because im NOT gonna watch a 1080p movie on my 17inch pc. i will watch it on my 40 inch 1080p HD TV will sourrond sound and thats only possibile on blu-ray. and lastly itunes is out already and its popular. there is not ONE movie download service as popular as itunes and face it will all download our songs for free yet CDs STILL sell in the millions. Movies take longer and you need more space and our current broadband can hardly run Xbox live with out it failing (in the x-mas season google it if you havent heard) so huge downloads will not make a impact for another 10 years

That where I see the future going too! Still early for digital distribution. Good posts :P

I myself am perplexed  on how people genuinely expect digital downloads to become mainstream.
maybe in a few decades but not in this format war's era.