By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Americas 15th October Up!

Good wii numbers (given the fact that nintendo didnt mind to release any good game on the system for over 8 months) the wii is just warming up... Nov-Dec numbers are going to surprise many people...
The 3DS in the other hand, well it is selling great (wii-situation again) no games no big sales... Nintendo is probably going to make a lot of money this holiday, I expect wii & Ds to have some surprising numbers, and the 3ds to explode mid november...

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

Around the Network

Poor RF:O.

Nevertheless, my ps3 copy is otw.

It's interesting, Americas has flipped from Wii to 360 almost the same as EMEAA has flipped from Wii to PS3.

Ratio of 360:Wii in Americas this week is 2.26. Ratio of PS3:Wii across EMEAA last week was 2.17.

Amazing too that 360 Americas > Wii worldwide. Has a generation had such a paradigm shift as this year?

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

The_Joker_Product said:
kowenicki said:
The_Joker_Product said:
Myrmi said:
The_Joker_Product said:
Myrmi said:
The_Joker_Product said:
jugon21 said:

Week Ending 08th Oct 2011

WII XBOX 360 PS3
BEFORE 88,376,050 56,546,401 53,479,932
NOW  88,376,050  56,603,263  53,555,446
Adjustements  0  +56,862 +75,514

Wasnt the Xbox supposed to be undertracked by 26,000 and PS3 by 100,000......

LOL? is that suppose to be the adjustment from last month?

Oh yeah i guess it was, but the gap between the 2 hasnt decreased by 74,000 like it was supposed to be.

SO they increase the console who is less undertracked more and the console who is heavily undertracked less? XD

It looks that way.

actually no

the 360 is actually more undertracked by VGC (when comparing to NPD) than the PS3 is YTD. 

So what this video game sales tracking site doesnt actually bother to correct the proper numbers and purposefully leaves them wrong and inaccurate?

In the interests of transparency and credibility I do wish VGC would put out an adjustments "press release" and at least say what, in general terms, is behind the adjustments and which markets the adjustments cover.

Sure these adjustments seem to be from NPD but there may be smaller adjustments also being incorporated for other markets.

YTD, from memory from the NPD thread, all consoles other than 3DS are within 5% of NPD or thereabouts. That's not under / over tracking. That is within tolerance / margin for error given both are estimates. As has been said repeatedly, the only hard data is quarterly shipment numbers. It's only when VGC is way out of whack with the shipment numbers that one can really claim significant over or under tracking. But even then there's a fairly decent margin. No console has shipments running exactly in parallell with consumer demand, so stock on shelves / in warehouses will fluctuate, sometimes the fluctuations are quite wide. It's only when VGC LTD > shipments LTD that you know there is an absolute error which demands adjustment.

You need to appreciate that weekly sales error > yearly sales error > LTD sales error. I'm pretty confident that LTD sales here on VGC for all the consoles (except maybe 3DS given it's early days for that console) is within a few percent of actual sell through. It all depends on what statistical accuracy you want as to whether you're prepared to take VGC numbers at face value. For something as unimportant in the grand scheme of things as sales of gaming consoles I'm happy with a 95% confidence in a 90% accuracy. I imagine though that given VGC is trying to sell it's data to investment analysts and other people in the business of making money out of video games they'd be wanting something more like a 99% confidence in 95% accuracy. I would think that on a multi-year moving average the yearly data, for HW at least, would give a 99% confidence in 95% accuracy, and for LTD it probably well exceeds 95% accuracy with 99% confidence.

What's 99% confidence in 95% accuracy? As we are in the Americas thread we'll look at the most popular console. 2010 (latest full year) 360 = 8,308,470. So if VGC numbers are to be reasonably credible then we should be 99% confident that the true (but unknown by anyone) 2010 360 sales in Americas was somewhere between 415K above or below that figure. If we look at LTD of 33,565,446 then we should be 99% confident that the true sales figure is within  1.68 million either side of that figure.

Sales for any given week have nothing against which you can verify or check accuracy, because no independant organisations outside of Japan routinely report weekly console sales. So VGC could be out by 20% on some weeks and there's no way to detect that error.

If people are here expecting 100% accuracy then they're either stupid, ignorant or unreasonable, or a combination of the 3. And we all know the word for people who are dismissive of the potential error in once console and bitterly complain about the potential error in another console.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
The_Joker_Product said:
kowenicki said:
The_Joker_Product said:
Myrmi said:
The_Joker_Product said:
Myrmi said:
The_Joker_Product said:
jugon21 said:

Week Ending 08th Oct 2011

WII XBOX 360 PS3
BEFORE 88,376,050 56,546,401 53,479,932
NOW  88,376,050  56,603,263  53,555,446
Adjustements  0  +56,862 +75,514

Wasnt the Xbox supposed to be undertracked by 26,000 and PS3 by 100,000......

LOL? is that suppose to be the adjustment from last month?

Oh yeah i guess it was, but the gap between the 2 hasnt decreased by 74,000 like it was supposed to be.

SO they increase the console who is less undertracked more and the console who is heavily undertracked less? XD

It looks that way.

actually no

the 360 is actually more undertracked by VGC (when comparing to NPD) than the PS3 is YTD. 

So what this video game sales tracking site doesnt actually bother to correct the proper numbers and purposefully leaves them wrong and inaccurate?

In the interests of transparency and credibility I do wish VGC would put out an adjustments "press release" and at least say what, in general terms, is behind the adjustments and which markets the adjustments cover.

Sure these adjustments seem to be from NPD but there may be smaller adjustments also being incorporated for other markets.

YTD, from memory from the NPD thread, all consoles other than 3DS are within 5% of NPD or thereabouts. That's not under / over tracking. That is within tolerance / margin for error given both are estimates. As has been said repeatedly, the only hard data is quarterly shipment numbers. It's only when VGC is way out of whack with the shipment numbers that one can really claim significant over or under tracking. But even then there's a fairly decent margin. No console has shipments running exactly in parallell with consumer demand, so stock on shelves / in warehouses will fluctuate, sometimes the fluctuations are quite wide. It's only when VGC LTD > shipments LTD that you know there is an absolute error which demands adjustment.

You need to appreciate that weekly sales error > yearly sales error > LTD sales error. I'm pretty confident that LTD sales here on VGC for all the consoles (except maybe 3DS given it's early days for that console) is within a few percent of actual sell through. It all depends on what statistical accuracy you want as to whether you're prepared to take VGC numbers at face value. For something as unimportant in the grand scheme of things as sales of gaming consoles I'm happy with a 95% confidence in a 90% accuracy. I imagine though that given VGC is trying to sell it's data to investment analysts and other people in the business of making money out of video games they'd be wanting something more like a 99% confidence in 95% accuracy. I would think that on a multi-year moving average the yearly data, for HW at least, would give a 99% confidence in 95% accuracy, and for LTD it probably well exceeds 95% accuracy with 99% confidence.

What's 99% confidence in 95% accuracy? As we are in the Americas thread we'll look at the most popular console. 2010 (latest full year) 360 = 8,308,470. So if VGC numbers are to be reasonably credible then we should be 99% confident that the true (but unknown by anyone) 2010 360 sales in Americas was somewhere between 415K above or below that figure. If we look at LTD of 33,565,446 then we should be 99% confident that the true sales figure is within  1.68 million either side of that figure.

Sales for any given week have nothing against which you can verify or check accuracy, because no independant organisations outside of Japan routinely report weekly console sales. So VGC could be out by 20% on some weeks and there's no way to detect that error.

If people are here expecting 100% accuracy then they're either stupid, ignorant or unreasonable, or a combination of the 3. And we all know the word for people who are dismissive of the potential error in once console and bitterly complain about the potential error in another console.

Excellent post! I hope more people will understand this issue, thanks to you.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
Nsanity said:
D-Joe said:
ethomaz said:
Iveyboi said:
LOL ethomaz you had to throw in the GT5 numbers haha.

Yeah... after the price drop the game just go from 3,500 to 5,500 .

I could tell undertracked... but people here think that's annoying... even when I was right (aka. NPD September).

wow you're...normal man

remember what you said in NPD June thread?

What did he say?

PS3 under... 360 over... the real NPD showed both under .

MARCUSDJACKSON said:

yea those are going to be very interesting adjustments. you know the one thing i've noticed (or maybe i don't stay in the sells thread long enough and with the exception of today)is that not one Sony fan in resent wks to my knoleged has said anything about adjustments for PS3.

considering last yr you heard it being said every wk. but really there was something very off about vgc PS3 numbers but i let it go because it was the americas but for some strange reason i don't think vcg will be up todate on sells for the rest of this yr.

I stopped saying this because vgcharters were saying I was annoying .

Americas and Japan is the most accurate region here in VGC... so the EMEAA is the real problem... if Americas was under I can't say how much EMEAA is too.

The price cut effect for PS3 is GREAT... different from what everyone thought in the past weeks because of wrong numbers .

menx64 said:
Good wii numbers (given the fact that nintendo didnt mind to release any good game on the system for over 8 months) the wii is just warming up... Nov-Dec numbers are going to surprise many people...
The 3DS in the other hand, well it is selling great (wii-situation again) no games no big sales... Nintendo is probably going to make a lot of money this holiday, I expect wii & Ds to have some surprising numbers, and the 3ds to explode mid november...

I'm just curious, you always appear as extremely optimist for Nintendo products, always predicting great things for them and lying to yourself about the weekly numbers.

Could you share your expectations for the Wii, DS and 3DS? You seem so sure about the mega success and Nintendo destroying the competition this holidays, that you surely have made an analysis of it and have got some numbers in your possession that will shock and scar people for life. Come on, surprise us now with your beforehand knowledge, I want to know by how much Wii is going to outsell the competition this Holiday.

Please tell us as well about another prediction of yours that said that Wii was going to reach 100M before this FY ends.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

trestres said:
menx64 said:

I'm just curious, you always appear as extremely optimist for Nintendo products, always predicting great things for them and lying to yourself about the weekly numbers.

Could you share your expectations for the Wii, DS and 3DS? You seem so sure about the mega success and Nintendo destroying the competition this holidays, that you surely have made an analysis of it and have got some numbers in your possession that will shock and scar people for life. Come on, surprise us now with your beforehand knowledge, I want to know by how much Wii is going to outsell the competition this Holiday.

Please tell us as well about another prediction of yours that said that Wii was going to reach 100M before this FY ends.

ok, lying myself every week?... I dont think so, I do believe the wii is still selling a lot more than what actually deserves (at least in the west) given the fact that nintendo didnt bother to sell any games for at least 8 months, I mean I understand no third party games, thats almost a given now (unless nintendo moneyhats DQX, MH) but no first party games? And even though I love the wii, I dont think the wii is going to sell more than the 360/ps3 this year, it is going to have good numbers but not as good as last year.

The DS in the other hand is a very interesting case, while it is not going to sell in the same levels as previous years, the ds is still going to sell very well, good price + lots of great games = success.  

As for the 3ds, sells are not as good as anybody was probably expecting, but this is the wiicase again, no games no sells, OoT & starfox are both great games, I bought them day 1, but the 3ds needs its own brain age game (not brian age itself, but a flagship title) its own NSMB game... I think the mario 3ds land/mario kart 7 tandem is going to skyrocket it.

100 million before FY?... I think I was being too positive there...

predictions: between nov7 and january 2 

wii:  4-5.5 millions ww

DS: 3-3-5 millions ww

3ds: 5 millions ww

Yours?

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

menx64 said:
trestres said:
menx64 said:

ok, lying myself every week?... I dont think so, I do believe the wii is still selling a lot more than what actually deserves (at least in the west) given the fact that nintendo didnt bother to sell any games for at least 8 months, I mean I understand no third party games, thats almost a given now (unless nintendo moneyhats DQX, MH) but no first party games? And even though I love the wii, I dont think the wii is going to sell more than the 360/ps3 this year, it is going to have good numbers but not as good as last year.

The DS in the other hand is a very interesting case, while it is not going to sell in the same levels as previous years, the ds is still going to sell very well, good price + lots of great games = success.  

As for the 3ds, sells are not as good as anybody was probably expecting, but this is the wiicase again, no games no sells, OoT & starfox are both great games, I bought them day 1, but the 3ds needs its own brain age game (not brian age itself, but a flagship title) its own NSMB game... I think the mario 3ds land/mario kart 7 tandem is going to skyrocket it.

100 million before FY?... I think I was being too positive there...

predictions: between nov7 and january 2 

wii:  4-5.5 millions ww

DS: 3-3-5 millions ww

3ds: 5 millions ww

Yours?

I'll have to think about them, haven't really done any analysis for the year, but I replied to your post since last time you said Wii was going to sell 12 million from October '11 to March '12, that's why I wanted to find out what was your reasoning.

Those predictions of yours look reasonable though now, but drastically different from what you recently predicted, at least on the Wii side.
3DS might be a bit on the low side, it will explode in Japan, NA is the only tough card to predict.

Sorry if I came by as an asshole, I admit my tone was somehow condescending.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies