By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu 2007-04-09/ 2007-04-15

johnsobas said:

When those systems dropped to 10k and below they were more or less screwed.  There were points where there was supply shortages though, especially for the gamecube at launch.

Well, it depends on what you mean "Screwed"

The Gamecube had 13 weeks below 10,000 units in its first year, followed by 22 weeks below 10,000 units in its second year and 29 weeks below 10,000 units in its third year (with a large number of those being below 5,000 units). The system was a living system with games being released regularly yet its sales were pretty low. The Gamecube was "Screwed" in the sense that Japan had (obviously) rejected the system in favor of the PS2.

Around the Network

yeah, that's what i meant. 

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

PS3 is slowly heading for 360 levels

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Thanks for the info...how far down can PS3 go and still knock back when FF hits? Seems for me that we soon have conted to ten.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

I know the Wii is huge, but despite its popularity I always saw the ps3 and the 360 fighting on a different level.
And I'm surprised to see both of them failing in Japan. I know the 360 and x-box never did well(i wrote a whole thread on it) but I figured Japanese hardcore gamers would pick one or the other, and when 360 failed I assumed they'd be jumping on the ps3, and now that hasn't happened I wonder if the 360 can get Japan's attention. I know they soon have Trusty Bell coming, they even made up a combo and with Blue Dragon out and more talk on Lost Odyessy, do they have a window?  Are they waiting on the ps3's price drop and big games? Or is Japanese gamers simply going to be content with their Wii and DS. Don't get me wrong I love my DS and Wii, but I own a 360 too. I'm surprised many of the ps2 owners that are avid gamers are content with simply picking up a Wii and calling it a day in the console department. I think even Nintendo is surprised, as they often blatantly tell people their system is not for hardcore gamers and if you looking for that get one of the other two systems or pick up the Wii as a secondary system. So I'm not surprised the Wii is doing well, I'm just surprised no one else is. I don't think anyone believed Nintendo would carry the Japanese market, and so far it is.

Around the Network
fooflexible said:
I know the Wii is huge, but despite its popularity I always saw the ps3 and the 360 fighting on a different level.
And I'm surprised to see both of them failing in Japan. I know the 360 and x-box never did well(i wrote a whole thread on it) but I figured Japanese hardcore gamers would pick one or the other, and when 360 failed I assumed they'd be jumping on the ps3, and now that hasn't happened I wonder if the 360 can get Japan's attention. I know they soon have Trusty Bell coming, they even made up a combo and with Blue Dragon out and more talk on Lost Odyessy, do they have a window?  Are they waiting on the ps3's price drop and big games? Or is Japanese gamers simply going to be content with their Wii and DS. Don't get me wrong I love my DS and Wii, but I own a 360 too. I'm surprised many of the ps2 owners that are avid gamers are content with simply picking up a Wii and calling it a day in the console department. I think even Nintendo is surprised, as they often blatantly tell people their system is not for hardcore gamers and if you looking for that get one of the other two systems or pick up the Wii as a secondary system. So I'm not surprised the Wii is doing well, I'm just surprised no one else is. I don't think anyone believed Nintendo would carry the Japanese market, and so far it is.

Most people are not hardcore gamers my friend

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

I just dont understand why the DS numbers never seem to be higher then around 120 and its been that for a long time now.. Some months ago, they where always at 150 and i thougt that they could hold up the production is the same level or even increase it.. Whats wrong? I friend of my that visit Japan in March told me that its still almost impossible to find a DS.

Yeah, with Pokemon P/D being released they could use a few more units for NA. A lot of people are going to be upgrading from their GBAs.

tryffel8 said:

I just dont understand why the DS numbers never seem to be higher then around 120 and its been that for a long time now.. Some months ago, they where always at 150 and i thougt that they could hold up the production is the same level or even increase it.. Whats wrong? I friend of my that visit Japan in March told me that its still almost impossible to find a DS.

Distribution to other countries AND stockpiling. Golden Week is coming up, Pokemon released in the US, and they may be stockpiling units for Xmas already (10k a week is only an extra 500k for Xmas - not enough!).

This weeks chart (IMO) is the strongest warning yet to Sony - lift your next-gen game, or become irrelevant. PSP & PS3 software sales only account for 6% of the total market (Wii almost double that - and with no titles out recently, and the big titles to come).

At the moment PS2 is still keeping Sony afloat - companies are working on their last batches of PS2 titles, and moving production to other systems (although some titles may appear for years to come).

At least PSP seems to have some legs - 30k hardware - although this isn't really translated into software sales.

Not sure what  else "big" is coming out soon, but there is a chance for complete DS/Wii domination for the next few weeks as the big titles arrive (hopefully with lots of hardware shipped as well).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

y-koron thank you very very much, you provide excellent figures each week and don't appologise your research and posts are always fantastic.

I can't believe these numbers...

When does the next PS3 game come out? I thought I heard somewhere that there are no more PS3 games being released in Japan until June???? If that is correct then I think the Hardware will drop below 10k sometime soon...

DS just has such a HUGE marketshare!!!

2 weeks until golden week.