By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu 2007-04-09/ 2007-04-15

TalonMan said:
fooflexible said:
I know the Wii is huge, but despite its popularity I always saw the ps3 and the 360 fighting on a different level.
And I'm surprised to see both of them failing in Japan. I know the 360 and x-box never did well(i wrote a whole thread on it) but I figured Japanese hardcore gamers would pick one or the other, and when 360 failed I assumed they'd be jumping on the ps3, and now that hasn't happened I wonder if the 360 can get Japan's attention. I know they soon have Trusty Bell coming, they even made up a combo and with Blue Dragon out and more talk on Lost Odyessy, do they have a window? Are they waiting on the ps3's price drop and big games? Or is Japanese gamers simply going to be content with their Wii and DS. Don't get me wrong I love my DS and Wii, but I own a 360 too. I'm surprised many of the ps2 owners that are avid gamers are content with simply picking up a Wii and calling it a day in the console department. I think even Nintendo is surprised, as they often blatantly tell people their system is not for hardcore gamers and if you looking for that get one of the other two systems or pick up the Wii as a secondary system. So I'm not surprised the Wii is doing well, I'm just surprised no one else is. I don't think anyone believed Nintendo would carry the Japanese market, and so far it is.

Oh, don't kid yourself - the PS3 will eventually pick-up. But right now, what on earth is out there to compel people to drop some serious cash on that system??? The PS2 was an immediate success because it came out at a time when DVDs were the rage and people could use it as a cheap DVD player (see #1 seller - The Matrix on DVD) - but HiDef DVDs are not as big as DVDs were, so there is no secondary reason at the moment...

...I think it'll definately be successful there at some point once some decent games come out, but I think Nintendo has certainly taken enough wind out of their sails as to prevent the PS3 from becoming the dominating force the PS2 once was.

I just don't know. everyone acts like the system can make some magical bounce a year after it comes out. But no one can give examples of that happening. For example people like to talk about DS sales starting slow and picking up with the Lite, well if you match up the DS's launch with the PS3 the DS at this point sold close to triple the ps3's user base. And I remember when ps2 launched most people I knew had dvd players, and they didn't have too many good titles. Honestly so far I like the ps3 launch titles better then the ps2s. Gundam Musou didn't exactly do a whole lot for the system, and Japan isn't terribly excited about the Sony made exclusives, Lair and Heavenly Sword might be great, but they are not sequels to games people already love and can't wait to get more of. Final Fantasy and MGS are, and there is no garuantee they'll stay exclusive if Sony's system don't turn around. Not to mention 3rd parties can't wait forever, by the time these big exclusives for the ps3 launch they'll have been a number big titles anounced for the Wii that might further deter people from picking up a ps3. Might point is right now people might be waiting for better games and price, but Sony is in a window a window that every poor selling product is in, and when that window is shut the audience simply will deem the product a loser and look elsewhere. I simply can't pretend that 18 months from now ps3s can take off like a rocket.

Around the Network

In all honest I don't think the PS3 can really bounce back hugely in Japan, I think it will behave very much like the PSP, with big titles we'll see big jumps for short periods, but that's all I can really say... it isn't going to hit critical mass and that isn't going to change this year, or next (for JAPAN).

Nintendo is just too strong, the Japanese people love NINTENDO at the moment and while the Wii also has no new games at the moment it is still selling much stronger than PS3.

PS3 has so few titles coming out this year, I just can't tell what is going to happen with the platform there.  What can they do? They can't magically make new titles start to appear... while the price COULD be dropped I doubt that is going to do much for the console now...

Plus it's too big physically for Japan.

(me being a fanboy)

Dear Sony,

SCOREBOARD!

Regards,

Nintendo

(/me being a fanboy)

I think the PS3 will bounce back with a couple good exclusives (i.e. MGS4), but it won't be enough to attain dominance. I can begin to see the N64 similarities with the PS3. Even a super awesome game like GoldenEye64 wasn't able to move enough systems to dominate the market. Similarly, a super awesome PS3 game will move a bunch of systems, but those super awesome exclusives will be too far and few in between to bring it back to PS2 numbers.

fooflexible said:
I know the Wii is huge, but despite its popularity I always saw the ps3 and the 360 fighting on a different level.
And I'm surprised to see both of them failing in Japan. I know the 360 and x-box never did well(i wrote a whole thread on it) but I figured Japanese hardcore gamers would pick one or the other, and when 360 failed I assumed they'd be jumping on the ps3, and now that hasn't happened I wonder if the 360 can get Japan's attention. I know they soon have Trusty Bell coming, they even made up a combo and with Blue Dragon out and more talk on Lost Odyessy, do they have a window?  Are they waiting on the ps3's price drop and big games? Or is Japanese gamers simply going to be content with their Wii and DS. Don't get me wrong I love my DS and Wii, but I own a 360 too. I'm surprised many of the ps2 owners that are avid gamers are content with simply picking up a Wii and calling it a day in the console department. I think even Nintendo is surprised, as they often blatantly tell people their system is not for hardcore gamers and if you looking for that get one of the other two systems or pick up the Wii as a secondary system. So I'm not surprised the Wii is doing well, I'm just surprised no one else is. I don't think anyone believed Nintendo would carry the Japanese market, and so far it is.

Not only in Japan, in the US the WII sales at least 3 times more then the PS3. 28 Nintendo software titles in the top 50 and 8 Playstation titles.

@Benoit, It's a Japanese custom to apologize out of modesty 

Doumo arigatou gozaimasu, Y-Koron-san

Gyakuten Saiban aka Phoenix Wright is doing well! Thinking about to import the game myself as well, although my collection of JP DS games is getting bigger then the schedule to play them all

This profile is no longer in use, see my other profile *~Onna76~*