By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - DICE: Battlefield 3, RAGE "As Good As It Gets This Gen"

-Newcloud- said:
Thats a shame because RAGE doesnt look that great

You are one Moogle hair away from being legally blind.

Around the Network

Ha... NO

superchunk said:
Attoyou said:
Pretty much, but from what i have seen Uncharted 3 looks better then both on consoles.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/10/14/uncharted-3-new-tv-spot-with-never-before-seen-footage/

From that trailer and solo player trailers of BF3... BF3 looks better. I hope you're not comparing it to BF3's multiplayer (and especially not its beta...) as that will of course be slightly worse and I'd argue the trailers I've see for that still look better than what I've seen in Uncharted 3 thus far.

I've actually never understood the fascination some have with Uncharted's visuals. I see all kinds of things that I think are terrible. Like whites and textuer overlaps between various platforms/walls/anything that is supposed to joined in the shot.... while it still looks great... I've seen many others I think are just as good on my PS3. (and yes play through HDMI to 1080p sony tv)

Additionally, there's a lot more than just graphics. The full destruction is a generation ahead of anything else.

The bolded is so true. Sometimes it's like if there's a lot going on they think it's the graphics engine while the animators are really good at what they do. The cinematic feel of Uncharted has no equal but graphicaly it's not mind blowing like number 2 was simply because there are prettier games out there. It's the same thing as MGS4 when people kept saying the game had the best graphics but when you looked at the textures on walls and other characters it was nothing beyond other impressive titles.

Superchunk, you better pray BF3's final version looks an ENTIRE GENERATION ahead of what was released in the BF3 beta on the PS3, because if it's not, it won't even touch UNCHARTED 1 visually

mM

well my 2 cents on the graphics

Battlefield 3 Graphics- realistic looking dirt
Uncharted 3 Graphics- pretty looking dirt

depends what you like. do you really want games to look realistic as possible? I always felt uncharted graphics looked more like computer animation (Pixar!) so i found the visuals to be more appealing. It was just better and prettier to look at.

Now Battlefield 3 Graphics.... there is realistic looking dirt in my backyard

Around the Network
superchunk said:
Attoyou said:
Pretty much, but from what i have seen Uncharted 3 looks better then both on consoles.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/10/14/uncharted-3-new-tv-spot-with-never-before-seen-footage/

From that trailer and solo player trailers of BF3... BF3 looks better. I hope you're not comparing it to BF3's multiplayer (and especially not its beta...) as that will of course be slightly worse and I'd argue the trailers I've see for that still look better than what I've seen in Uncharted 3 thus far.

I've actually never understood the fascination some have with Uncharted's visuals. I see all kinds of things that I think are terrible. Like whites and textuer overlaps between various platforms/walls/anything that is supposed to joined in the shot.... while it still looks great... I've seen many others I think are just as good on my PS3. (and yes play through HDMI to 1080p sony tv)

Additionally, there's a lot more than just graphics. The full destruction is a generation ahead of anything else.

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

SpartenOmega117 said:

I think the reason people like realism is because it is a lot like the real world... but you can do things in it that you can't in our real world. People like the idea of being in a world that looks real and being able to do crazy/spectacular things in it.

wfz said:
SpartenOmega117 said:

I think the reason people like realism is because it is a lot like the real world... but you can do things in it that you can't in our real world. People like the idea of being in a world that looks real and being able to do crazy/spectacular things in it.

I understand... but i also thinks that one of the things that Uncharted does so well, for me at least, is that it has a very nice blend realisitc looking graphics/pretty graphics. Battlefield 3 always just looked sooo...whats the word....realistic sidewalk?

-Newcloud- said:
Thats a shame because RAGE doesnt look that great

Trust me, it really does look that good...but only at a distance, if you get close up the textures are very muddy.

OT: Uncharted 3 will be the game that is "as good as it gets this gen"

Battlefield 3 looked like ass but it was only the beta so I'll wait until I play the actual game before I make my judgement.

I toattally agree.

I'm sure people will try and jump in and say gears 3 is better or uc3 looks better. The fact of the matter is technically they are not even close.
Gears 3 looks amazing and I still agree with that. However after playing rage on my setup 5 days ago, its very clear that rage shoves a shotgun Harrell up its arse and pulls the trigger. The smoothness, the detail, death animations basically how everything comes together makes any other game imo barking up the wrong tree.

I'm not impressed when I see unhcarteds semi cinematic semi gameplay sequences or purely cinematic scenes. If drake was having a huge full gameplay firefight against 20 enemies whilst moving at 60 fps and have the sand move like that then wow. But the actual gameplay I've seen of uc3 doesntt cut it. Same for gears 3. To be fair gears 3 is throwing around alot during gameplay. But the fact that rage looks better and runs at twice the framerate to me says half you guys here are smoking something.

I picked up forza 4 yesterday, and the ibl lighting is better than bloody godrays and the usual light and shadow found jn gears or uncharted. In forza for example depending on the level of light and the angle the colour of red on a car a for example changes shade.

Its this forward motion in technical level during gameplay that's amazing. Not like the first party studios going look how good our not actual gameplay bits look. Or the bits where nothing at all happens then tone it down when a firefight starts.

Psshhhh. Wake up people.

Idtech 5 is a brilliant engine. So is frostbite 2.0. Much more advanced than the engines behind uncharted and gears.
Its fairly simple actually.