By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What do you do when you see a spider crawling in your house?

well, WHAT!?

Nothing! 10 9.90%

Kill it! 42 41.58%

Examine it! 6 5.94%

Torture it! 4 3.96%

Run Away! 5 4.95%

Jay, you have no life! 2 1.98%

Set it outside! 24 23.76%

Follow it to it's lair &... 2 1.98%

None of the above! 3 2.97%

All of the above! 3 2.97%

Total:101
Chrizum said:
Runa216 said:
I pick it up and take it outside, because I feel the need to protect it from my family members...

Seriously, it bugs me that people jump on the "It scares me so it deserves to die" bandwagon. As a race, I thought we were supposed to be 'better' than that.

Please enlighten me how we are supposed to be "above" killing spiders, it sounds interesting.

it's not a very civilized thing to do when you kill something out of ignorance.  "I don't understand this thing, or I don't like the looks of it, this means I must kill it just to be safe", it sounds like something a caveman would do, not something a supposedly civilized, advanced race would do.  killing a spider because you (irrationally) fear it is just wrong, the only reason people don't give a shit about killing needlessly is because of this misplaced opinion that human life is more valuable than the life of a bug, in spite of the fact that insects, spiders, and all sorts of smaller creatures hold a much more valuable niche in the ecosystem. 

Educate yourself, and grow above killing out of fear or ignorance.  If you live in Australia or something, then I can partically understand killing spiders because it's arguably self defense, but there are few spiders that can do more than give you an uncomfortable bumps.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
JGarret said:
Runa216 said:
I pick it up and take it outside, because I feel the need to protect it from my family members...

Seriously, it bugs me that people jump on the "It scares me so it deserves to die" bandwagon. As a race, I thought we were supposed to be 'better' than that.

Sometimes it´s not just about "it scares me"....since we´re talking about spiders..well, some of them are genuinely very dangerous, carrying poison than can kill you in minutes...depending on the kind of spider, you should be protecting your family members from it, and not the other way around...and again, depending on the kind of spider, the best thing to do would be to kill it, and not 'pick it up and take it outside'..should you find a dangerous kind in your house.

Tigers can rip your head off, should you kill them on sight? 

an elephant can gore you on its tusk or wrap its trunk around you, should you kill it on sight? 

a squirrel or raccoon can give you rabies, should you kill it on sight? 

Your own dog can go apeshit and rip your throat out, should you kill it on sight? 

your mother can stab you with a kitchen knife, should you kill her on sight?

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Runa216 said:
Chrizum said:
Runa216 said:

Please enlighten me how we are supposed to be "above" killing spiders, it sounds interesting.

it's not a very civilized thing to do when you kill something out of ignorance.  "I don't understand this thing, or I don't like the looks of it, this means I must kill it just to be safe", it sounds like something a caveman would do, not something a supposedly civilized, advanced race would do.  killing a spider because you (irrationally) fear it is just wrong, the only reason people don't give a shit about killing needlessly is because of this misplaced opinion that human life is more valuable than the life of a bug, in spite of the fact that insects, spiders, and all sorts of smaller creatures hold a much more valuable niche in the ecosystem. 

Educate yourself, and grow above killing out of fear or ignorance.  If you live in Australia or something, then I can partically understand killing spiders because it's arguably self defense, but there are few spiders that can do more than give you an uncomfortable bumps.  

Its a freaking bug dude -_-

I hate insects but I can't kill them*, I just trap in something and set it outside

*not really because I'm all "omg they're living creatures!", I'd just rather not make a disgusting mess

JGarret said:
Runa216 said:

Sometimes it´s not just about "it scares me"....since we´re talking about spiders..well, some of them are genuinely very dangerous, carrying poison than can kill you in minutes...depending on the kind of spider, you should be protecting your family members from it, and not the other way around...and again, depending on the kind of spider, the best thing to do would be to kill it, and not 'pick it up and take it outside'..should you find a dangerous kind in your house.

Maybe it's just the location I live in but.....I don't know of any spider that can kill you in minutes.  Are they that bad where you live?

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
JGarret said:
Runa216 said:

Maybe it's just the location I live in but.....I don't know of any spider that can kill you in minutes.  Are they that bad where you live?

Hey Lewis, what´s up?...well, I live in the U.S...so, not that I know here (according to this:http://www.essortment.com/poisonous-spiders-north-america-63412.html...only two types are poisonous, but not to the point of killing you in minutes....but I think there are some in Australia and/or parts in Africa who can do that).

Runa216 said:
brendude13 said:
Runa216 said:

I don't think you get it.

If somebody has a phobia of spiders (enter me), you can't leave it because you will be on the edge of your seat, some people are too afraid to pick it up or scoop it up and throw it outside and if you do that then the odds are they will be back in your house the next day. Spiders are pests, and where I live, if you don't keep their numbers under control you can end up with an infestation. I don't see the harm in killing an insect.

man up, boy!  I'm sure many people have a crippling fear of Lead Poisoning, but we still have people fighting in wars to make the world a better place!  quit being a sissy and face your fears in a non-destructive way, pansy!  

Nothing wrong with phobias, almost everybody has one.

yo_john117 said:
Runa216 said:
Chrizum said:
Runa216 said:

Its a freaking bug dude -_-

on a scale of 1-10, how offended would you be if I said "It's just a baby, I mean, not like it's done anything in it's short life to be of any value to me"? 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

brendude13 said:
Runa216 said:
brendude13 said:
Runa216 said:

If somebody has a phobia of spiders (enter me), you can't leave it because you will be on the edge of your seat, some people are too afraid to pick it up or scoop it up and throw it outside and if you do that then the odds are they will be back in your house the next day. Spiders are pests, and where I live, if you don't keep their numbers under control you can end up with an infestation. I don't see the harm in killing an insect.

man up, boy!  I'm sure many people have a crippling fear of Lead Poisoning, but we still have people fighting in wars to make the world a better place!  quit being a sissy and face your fears in a non-destructive way, pansy!  

Nothing wrong with phobias, almost everybody has one.

yep, I know, so cry me a river, build a bridge, and get over it! 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Runa216 said:
brendude13 said:
Runa216 said:

Reported for flaming