By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Why did The Green Lantern do bad?

Tagged games:

Did you enjoy it?

yes 6 33.33%

no 6 33.33%

The cartoon one..yes 2 11.11%

sort of 4 22.22%

Total:18

Wasn't it bad? Besides, I think Thor and Captain America stole it's thunder.

Around the Network

This sums it up pretty nicely:

Just an observation of comic book movies in general ...

There really are only a handful of comic books that are particularly well suited to being translated into movies; and of those only a couple have had their source material treated well to have decent movies made. At the same time, the big box office results of these successful comic book movies has pushed Hollywood to make more and more of these movies. To make matters worse, Hollywood tends to be far more interested in product placement and merchandizing than making a decent movie today and large portions of any big-budget blockbuster seem to be more of a comercial than anything else.

When you add this all together, there is very little in these movies that people haven't seen before, they are less interested in these movies because they don't know the comic book and/or don't believe it will make a good movie, and the movies are generally getting much worse because the studio isn't interested in making them into good movies.

Awful choice of an actor is one of the many reasons.

I was highly unimpressed by Green Lantern, one of the worst comic book films to be released in recent history. Honestly we have been spoiled with Marvel hit after Marvel hit and these movies have been amazing (Somewhat flawed but great none the less). But this year I was disappointed I really didn't like Green Lantern and was less then impressed with Thor.

So why didn't I like Green Lantern?

-Plot, I didn't mind the plot but it didn't have enough twists and turns and didn't keep you on edge. I myself didn't read Green lantern often growing up so the nostalgia factor didn't influence my decision. To me the plot was typical of a super hero movie the whole self estime boost that a man can save the world...ladeeda.

-The CG, I would have liked to see a smaller emphasis on CG in this movie. I enjoyed some of the eye candy of other planets and such. But the suit being CG for example was just cheesy. To me the film just looked way too how do I say this (Cheap is not the word) over the top and fantastical. Outlandish and unrealistic like the creators couldn't choose between a live action movie and an animated film so they decided to try both.

- Character building, I did enjoy the little romance story. But I found myself unable to relate to Hal Jordan based on the film's lack of quality character building. I mean yes they tried very hard but the character just seemed to fall flat. Meeting all the cliches that I have come to expect from comic movies and offered no real new sense of character development. A problem I have found with several films based on comic book properties.

The one redeeming factor I liked in Green Lantern was the acting. The main characters played by Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds did amazing jobs acting their parts. I wish Ryan had improvised more and his performance in X-Men proved he is capable of playing a series action role, I liked the job he did in Green Lantern but I think he could have done something better.

In the end I was disappointed big time in Green Lantern, friends I know who read the comics more growing up enjoyed it with one thinking it was movie of the year. But he is a DC fan boy who hates Marvel with a passion and anything based on a DC property is pure gold to him. But another friend I know who saw the movie with me fell asleep during it and missed like half the film. I told him to try watching it again and he said he was just too bored.

It seems a mixed opinion!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

Man, I'm an actual Green Lantern fan and I didn't really enjoy the movie. I could see that it was based on the comic book "Green Lantern: Secret Origin" and I enjoyed that comic, too. It just didn't flow as a movie, to me. I was really hoping for this one to knock it out of the park, too. I'm a bigger fan of DC comics than I am of Marvel and everything Marvel did (Thor, X-Men, Captain America) was awesome. Too bad.

I still hope they make a sequel where Sinestro goes evil and a sequel to that sequel where they take on the Sinestro Corps. or Kyle Rayner steps in as GL, or something.

Because unless it's reallllllly good (and even then ..) if you put something out in a saturated market, something's got to give.

The same reason why Superman Returns did so poorly, they tried to incorporate too much story in a world where the characters rely on action more than story for success. They also fucked up on the villain by not giving us a fight scene that shows off the characters true potential...they should have made the movie about Sinestro teaching Hal with Hal eventually discovering that Sinestro has been abusing his ring as a conquerer, which would have resulted in a couple epic battles between them with a great finale at the end.

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Because it's a crap movie.Crap acting,failed dialog,and the list goes on.

Main components were there but they did not use them well. Specially the way they pair the main character with the main boss.