It was okay. 4 7.55%

It didn't like it. 10 18.87%

See results. 4 7.55%

Total:53
Chrizum said:
blunty51 said:
Chrizum said:
freebs2 said:

in M64 when you enter a level you don't have a forced objective, you can go for the star you prefer.

That's actually not true at all. You still had to choose a star before you start a level just like in all other 3D Marios after it. Banjo Kazooie had more freedom than any Mario game.

Yes, but you still had more freedom in M64 than any other even if you choose a star in the beginning. In most cases you basically had the same stage structure/design no matter what you choose, enabling you to get any star, whereas after M64 it got too specific. This is actually good, AND bad.

I agree that the structure of the levels remained largly the same regardless which star you chose, but in SM64 you could only get the star you picked in the beginning, any other star would be blank and thus wouldn't count to your star total. That's a design decision I never understood.

Hmm...has it really been so long that I haven't played SM64? I could have sworn you could get almost any star even if you choose one at the beginning of the level. Ah well, kinda makes me wanna play it again for old times sake.

Around the Network

The best game of this generation to date, the best Mario game ever made, and one of the best games ever made, in my opinion.

The linearity isn't a flaw at all for me, it saves me time wandering around searching and compresses the levels into tightly structured packets of platforming goodness, just like the 2D Marios.

Guys, I made a new poll related to this thread, if you want you can check it out: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=134940

blunty51 said:
Chrizum said:
blunty51 said:
Chrizum said:
freebs2 said:

in M64 when you enter a level you don't have a forced objective, you can go for the star you prefer.

That's actually not true at all. You still had to choose a star before you start a level just like in all other 3D Marios after it. Banjo Kazooie had more freedom than any Mario game.

Yes, but you still had more freedom in M64 than any other even if you choose a star in the beginning. In most cases you basically had the same stage structure/design no matter what you choose, enabling you to get any star, whereas after M64 it got too specific. This is actually good, AND bad.

I agree that the structure of the levels remained largly the same regardless which star you chose, but in SM64 you could only get the star you picked in the beginning, any other star would be blank and thus wouldn't count to your star total. That's a design decision I never understood.

Hmm...has it really been so long that I haven't played SM64? I could have sworn you could get almost any star even if you choose one at the beginning of the level. Ah well, kinda makes me wanna play it again for old times sake.

I just checked; that guy is wrong. For most stars you could get them on any star. Stars would only be 'blank' if you'd already collected them which is obvious.

There were certain stars only accessible on their 'own' star or sometimes a 'later' on (e.g. Snowman's Lost His Head and the penguin race requires you to click on it) but on that same level (Cool Cool Mountain), any star 1-6 allows you to get Stars 1,2, 4 and 6. It was mostly non-linear though and I remember getting many stars out of order.

In Sunshine, Galaxy and Galaxy 2 it became completely linear. There was an easter egg in Sunshine where you can get Star 2 of Bianco Hills from Star 1 (and the NPC says something funny when you do) but that's the only one I recall.

As to this thread I think 2D and 3D Mario are different series and should be kept so; I like 2D linear and 3D open-world exploration and started to dislike Galaxy's style once it got to the second game and 3D Land is the first Mario game I will not be buying (and I have MANY)

Soleron said:
blunty51 said:
Chrizum said:
blunty51 said:
Chrizum said:
freebs2 said:

I just checked; that guy is wrong. For most stars you could get them on any star. Stars would only be 'blank' if you'd already collected them which is obvious.

There were certain stars only accessible on their 'own' star or sometimes a 'later' on (e.g. Snowman's Lost His Head and the penguin race requires you to click on it) but on that same level (Cool Cool Mountain), any star 1-6 allows you to get Stars 1,2, 4 and 6. It was mostly non-linear though and I remember getting many stars out of order.

In Sunshine, Galaxy and Galaxy 2 it became completely linear. There was an easter egg in Sunshine where you can get Star 2 of Bianco Hills from Star 1 (and the NPC says something funny when you do) but that's the only one I recall.

As to this thread I think 2D and 3D Mario are different series and should be kept so; I like 2D linear and 3D open-world exploration and started to dislike Galaxy's style once it got to the second game and 3D Land is the first Mario game I will not be buying (and I have MANY)

Thanks for clearing that up, it was ages ago when I played SM64, but back then I made up my mind that Banjo Kazooie was superior to SM64 because of that. Seems I was wrong. Now I feel like getting SM64 on Virtual Console...

Around the Network
freebs2 said:

I love both, still as you said they aren't as good as Mario64 for many reasons.
What SMG needed is more freedom, in M64 when you enter a level you don't have a forced objective, you can go for the star you prefer. Also, and more important, in M64 you aren't forced to do a anything in the way the designers have tought, almost every platform and action in the game can be perfomed in the way you like it, I can't think of other 3D games giving you this kind of freedom. This video explains better than words.

As for future 3D marios, I'd like Nintendo to bring back some focus on exploration on WiiU. On 3DS, I'm ok with a more immediate type of game (like 3D land  should be).

Yup you are spot on on the freedom.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Level1Death said:
Overall the Galaxy games were good. Even though the platforming was nice, I agree with you on the linear issue. The games could have been better if more freedom were allowed. The worlds were good for the most part, but like you said none of them were memorable.

I don't know about the future of 3D Mario. There's no doubt 3D Land will be a good game but I feel that 2D has more potential, especially if Nintendo takes a page from Donkey Kong Country Returns in terms of level design.
The Galaxy games have run its course, so Nintendo shouldn't release a third one because it's simply not needed.

Agreed. DKCR powned NSMBWii imo.

e=mc^2

amp316 said:
Both of the Galaxy games are great, but I felt that Super Mario 64 was better. I preferred that they were more non linear as has already been mentioned. I feel that the 3D Mario games should be more open, while the 2D Mario games should be about getting from point A to point B.

Dito.

e=mc^2

Soleron said:
blunty51 said:
Chrizum said:
blunty51 said:
Chrizum said:
freebs2 said:

Spot on.

e=mc^2

I didn't expect only two thirds of the poll to like it

e=mc^2