By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Official Dark Souls Thread - .....It Begins

Finished the game for the first time. GoTY, just like Demon's Souls. I'm just a bit bummed out by the ending, I mean he got the flame and that's it. Although the story is not what makes dark souls so good, i still find stories like that pretty cool. I gotta say though, had I known that touching the bonfire at gywn lord of cinder would end the game, I wouldn't have done so :( I could've gotten my +8 fire demon great machete to +10! AH well, that can wait till next playthrough.

Overall, 9.5/10. .5 deduction because of Blight town :p

EDIT: I am reading that there are 2 endings and the one that I chose is the "bad" ending? Say What?

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/ending

Around the Network
EncodedNybble said:
Time for some advice.

I haven't upgraded a single piece of armor or my shield....so, as a character who plans on going high endurance (so I can wear heavier armor and still be "light") and high dex (I just really like daggers and back stabs and priscilla's has an A scaling for dex).

What armors and shields would you guys recommend? I'm looking for a shield with good stability when maxed with 100% physical and armor that has good defense/weight ratios (as well as just best all around armor in case I want to load up on endurance and use havel's ring).

Hollow Soldier's Shield is one of the first shields you'll get and also happens to upgrade really well. The damage reductions aside from phys arn't that great but the stability goes upto 85. Black Knight Shield is the best anti-fire set. Grass Crest is good if you play aggressively and the Silver Knight Shield is probably one of the best general-purpose shields.

Armor choice is alot more flexible for dex chars - the weapons are often quick and light so you can get in, do some attacks, and get out. Unlike strength chars, the weapons you'll be using most often also tend to be really light so heavy armor won't burden you so much. I'd recommend going with heavy stuff especially if you plan on using Havel's ring.

If you don't plan on upgrading any armor, Smough's is probably the best heavy set there is. Golem set is pretty decent but has pretty much nothing for lightning def which is horrible in pvp - still perfectly fine for pve though!

If you do plan on upgrading though, Giant's Set is slightly better than Smough's without the downside of looking horribly fat. Elite Knight set makes the 2nd best "heavy" armor - it upgrades reaaaally well. Just keep in mind that each piece needs a titanite slab while Giant's set takes 40 twinkling total (much easier to get).

http://soundcloud.com/cathode

PSN: Parasitic_Link

luvtospooge said:

Finished the game for the first time. GoTY, just like Demon's Souls. I'm just a bit bummed out by the ending, I mean he got the flame and that's it. Although the story is not what makes dark souls so good, i still find stories like that pretty cool. I gotta say though, had I known that touching the bonfire at gywn lord of cinder would end the game, I wouldn't have done so :( I could've gotten my +8 fire demon great machete to +10! AH well, that can wait till next playthrough.

EDIT: I am reading that there are 2 endings and the one that I chose is the "bad" ending? Say What?

Yes, because by linking the flame you're just perpetuating the never-ending cycle of the age of fire, not allowing mankind to prosper. The Age of Dark is the true good ending, as Khaate explains.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

This game is really due for a patch. For many of the issues mentioned in this thread, and a good bit of my own, ESPECIALLY the delay glitch in the fighting system.

I would usually stop playing a game with these kind of bugs, but it's just still so awesome.

blunty51 said:
This game is really due for a patch. For many of the issues mentioned in this thread, and a good bit of my own, ESPECIALLY the delay glitch in the fighting system.

I would usually stop playing a game with these kind of bugs, but it's just still so awesome.

We need that damn patch either way lol

Around the Network
lestatdark said:
luvtospooge said:

Yes, because by linking the flame you're just perpetuating the never-ending cycle of the age of fire, not allowing mankind to prosper. The Age of Dark is the true good ending, as Khaate explains.

Well both endings don't seem that good to me, they both have downsides. Oh well, Ill make sure to choose the other ending in this playthrough.

Alright, so just to make sure (for those that have beaten the game) do the bonfires you kindle stay to the next playthrough? I ask because I haven't kindled a single one and am almost done with the game. From time to time it gets tough and kindling may be a good idea, but I don't want to waste time farming humanity (and waste the humanity itself) it the kindling isn't going to do me much good after another few hours of play.

EncodedNybble said:
Alright, so just to make sure (for those that have beaten the game) do the bonfires you kindle stay to the next playthrough? I ask because I haven't kindled a single one and am almost done with the game. From time to time it gets tough and kindling may be a good idea, but I don't want to waste time farming humanity (and waste the humanity itself) it the kindling isn't going to do me much good after another few hours of play.

Kindling and re-Kindling stay the same for each subsequent playthrough. Even those bonfires that were kindled past the 10 estus flask point to 15 and 20 also stay with the same amount, even if you don't have the Rite of Kindling in the next playthrough, so it's recommended to do any kindling before NG+.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

blunty51 said:

Patch comin out in just a few hours!

And yes, delay is gettin fixed : p

http://soundcloud.com/cathode

PSN: Parasitic_Link

Parasitic said:
blunty51 said:

Patch comin out in just a few hours!

And yes, delay is gettin fixed : p

Bleh, I got Uncharted 3, and my friend is borrowing Dark Souls because I owed him a favor..this patch better be good!!