By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Gas prices in your area?

Once hybrid cars become more mainstream will gas prices go down?

Yes 4 5.41%

NO 26 35.14%

why would they? 14 18.92%

Maybe 4 5.41%

Once the demand for it is gone...yes 6 8.11%

China and other developin... 12 16.22%

other 0 0%

see resultz 8 10.81%

Total:74
Kasz216 said:
phinch1 said:
Kasz216 said:
phinch1 said:
Kasz216 said:
phinch1 said:
Kasz216 said:
DarkCronos said:
you guys are lucky to live in america. in europe gas prices are way higher. the cheapest i can find around my area is 1.558 €/liter but the majority of gas stations are already over 1.600 €. with the conversion € - > $ and liters -> gallon it should be about 8$ /gallon

Luck has nothing to do with it.

Europeon gas is so expensive because of Pro-enviroment laws.

Like for example the German tax on gas is like $1.70 per Litre... which is like $6.29 per Galon.

The US Federal Gas tax is like...  $0.18 cents a galon.

So really, if anything,  the US is probably getting ripped off since taxes removed, our gas is more expensive!

hmmmm really? at the end of it when it comes to paying for it over the counter compare to other countrys you actually feel america is getting "ripped off"?

Sure.  I mean other countries voted in polticians who favored expensive gas taxes to curb gas usage and global warming.

We should be paying the same rate europeons pay including the taxes seen as our average car in america Drinks way more fuel than in the EU

Think gas is too high?  Put in politicians to lower or repeal the tax.

Fixed

Nah, if anything that's why we shouldn't pay europeon style taxes on it.

That and the fact that you actually need a car to survive in the US.

Can't even get a job in a lot of places if you don't have a car.

Oh....you mean like everywhere else? a lot of people who are searching for jobs in the UK can't get them in the same town and need to travel

if you feel so hard done by in the US how about you pay my petrol bill and ill pay yours? i'd gladley swap

No, not like everywhere else.  In the US in a lot of parts in the country you can't even get to a job in the same town or if your lucky, a 20 minute walk to catch 2-3 busses that take around 50 minutes a piece.

As for switcing gas bills.  Taxes excluded?  Sure.

Think about it rationally for a second.

Say I live in an area that puts a $250 dollar tax on TVs, and buy a TV for 450.

You don't have such a tax and pay 250.

You are clearly getting ripped off by $50.

Why should you feel bad I'm paying more for a tax that my area passed by supporting the policies that inacted it?

Do you actually think America is THAT different? Ive just said a lot of people travel to other towns, we also get trains and bus's to travel to work, college or uni in other major cities, aha and don't get me started on electronics, when you were paying $299 on a ps3 in america we were paying £249, not going to use a converter but off top of my head thats about $480

Around the Network

personally i'd have to side with kaz on this one about petrol prices,its the tax in europe and the usa is a much more car centric culture,the country is gigantic

also i think all the enviromental tax and policies are a crock of shit over here and utterly pointless with china,brasil,russia,india etc developing as economies

of course humans can make a difference of both good and bad and they will

Above & Beyond

phinch1 said:
Kasz216 said:
phinch1 said:
Kasz216 said:
phinch1 said:
Kasz216 said:
phinch1 said:
Kasz216 said:
DarkCronos said:
you guys are lucky to live in america. in europe gas prices are way higher. the cheapest i can find around my area is 1.558 €/liter but the majority of gas stations are already over 1.600 €. with the conversion € - > $ and liters -> gallon it should be about 8$ /gallon

Like for example the German tax on gas is like $1.70 per Litre... which is like $6.29 per Galon.

So really, if anything,  the US is probably getting ripped off since taxes removed, our gas is more expensive!

hmmmm really? at the end of it when it comes to paying for it over the counter compare to other countrys you actually feel america is getting "ripped off"?

Sure.  I mean other countries voted in polticians who favored expensive gas taxes to curb gas usage and global warming.

We should be paying the same rate europeons pay including the taxes seen as our average car in america Drinks way more fuel than in the EU

Fixed

Oh....you mean like everywhere else? a lot of people who are searching for jobs in the UK can't get them in the same town and need to travel

if you feel so hard done by in the US how about you pay my petrol bill and ill pay yours? i'd gladley swap

No, not like everywhere else.  In the US in a lot of parts in the country you can't even get to a job in the same town or if your lucky, a 20 minute walk to catch 2-3 busses that take around 50 minutes a piece.

Why should you feel bad I'm paying more for a tax that my area passed by supporting the policies that inacted it?

Do you actually think America is THAT different? Ive just said a lot of people travel to other towns, we also get trains and bus's to travel to work, college or uni in other major cities, aha and don't get me started on electronics, when you were paying $299 on a ps3 in america we were paying £249, not going to use a converter but off top of my head thats about $480

I'm not talking major cities.

I'm talking anywhere from cities to small towns that can't afford many if any buses...

and I KNOW is that america is different because i've taken urban planning classes.

A much larger percentage of US areas were built after the car became a common place everyday item.

As for the bolded.  Kinda exactly my point.  When you don't count taxes were paying more for gas then you are.... and we don't have the same excuses the UK does, like a smaller market.

Kasz216 said:
phinch1 said:
Kasz216 said:
phinch1 said:
Kasz216 said:
phinch1 said:
Kasz216 said:
phinch1 said:
Kasz216 said:
DarkCronos said:

Fixed

I'm talking anywhere from cities to small towns that can't afford many if any buses...

and I KNOW is that america is different because i've taken urban planning classes.

A much larger percentage of US areas were built after the car became a common place everyday item.

As for the bolded.  Kinda exactly my point.  When you don't count taxes were paying more for gas then you are.... and we don't have the same excuses the UK does, like a smaller market.

1.Have you ever been to a place like wales where you can find an od cluster of houses 20 miles away from anyone, no busses no trains, just there cars, the car that they need to survuive, America is NO different from the rest of the world and i know its NO different because Ive seen the big wide world and have travelled.....a lot

2. Ok i get it you pay more for the basic rate of petrol minus the tax, but at the end of the day when we both hand over our money (including tax's) to the chashier, who would you rather pay for mine or yours?

phinch1 said:
Kasz216 said:
phinch1 said:
Kasz216 said:
phinch1 said:
Kasz216 said:
phinch1 said:
Kasz216 said:
phinch1 said:
Kasz216 said:
DarkCronos said:

Fixed

1.Have you ever been to a place like wales where you can find an od cluster of houses 20 miles away from anyone, no busses no trains, just there cars, the car that they need to survuive, America is NO different from the rest of the world and i know its NO different because Ive seen the big wide world and have travelled.....a lot

2. Ok i get it you pay more for the basic rate of petrol minus the tax, but at the end of the day when we both hand over our money (including tax's) to the chashier, who would you rather pay for mine or yours?

1.  I'm not saying such places don't exist.... i'm saying they're MUCH rarer.  This has some stuff on it...

http://alttransport.com/2011/06/u-s-vs-europe-car-culture-debate-plays-out-in-the-new-york-times/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_the_automobile_on_societies#United_States

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/27/science/earth/27traffic.html?_r=3&pagewanted=1&hp

Us Car culture is a whole big thing.  A LOT of jobs won't even hire you if you don't own a car, no matter where you live!

2.  Mine, though it doesn't mean i'm getting a deal afterall.  I mean if we passed a $500 TV tax, you wouldn't feel better about what you pay for your TV... would you?