By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony PS3 beats Microsoft XBOX 360 handidly!

$100 price drop and first holiday in Europe for PS3 of course it outsold the 360. But we'll see how long it can continue now that the holidays are over.

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:
I wouldn't be so quick to hit the victory button. It wasn't that long ago when the PS3 beat the Wii in Japan and there was a similar thread. It didn't take that long for Nintendo to completely turn the tables and dominate Japan again.

Why can't you let us enjoy some positive ps3 news for once

zackblue said:
@felman x

Well you must be mad.

I could be

krik said:
I'm still impressed by the 9M (-80k) for PS3... amazing. It's official all X360 users can now buy a PS3 and wait with us for MGS4, FFXIII, KZ2, LBP, etc... move on guys, join the free PSN, lets see if we can crash it ;)

9 mil. It's great, isn't it? I predicted 8.5-9 mil. months ago, but most people thought I was crazy.

I also made a thread in the sales forum back in September that discussed how brand loyalty was a major factor behind the ps3 selling so well despite it's high price and meager software line up (at the time), and how price cuts and the killer '08 line up including major franchises like MGS, GT, Tekken, and Socom would push sales well past the 360. Let's see if that holds true.

I'm still predicting that the ps3 will catch up to the 360 in world wide sales by 2010-11.

I wonder how much money Sony LOST due to selling so many consoles this holiday season. There earnings for the quarter should be interesting.

Around the Network
zackblue said:
@felman x

Well you must be mad.

according to some numbers I got on another thread, 360 outsold PS3 by about 450,000 for the entire 07 year. Would you have pridicted that 6 months ago? 9? 1 year?

Well in just one year Sony has Sold almost 9 million systems. They've only been in Europe/PAL Regions for 9 months. If you divide the 360 sales in half (after a world wide launch), its not 9 million. I think Sony will sell 12 million next year, bringing them to 21 million by end of '08. The 360 will sell 8-9 million, bringing them to 24-25. The Wii...hell if I know. As many as Ninty can make!!

@whatever

On the contrairy they might have made a profit with psp sales and ps2 sales, and software for all the systems.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

Bucket of Ice water:

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 07th Jan 2007 to 30th Dec 2007:
Console PS3 X360
Total 7,687,478 8,070,407

Formatted for easy copy & paste into spreadsheets and other websites!

Seems 360 won 2007

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

This week’s numbers really show a trouncing. Can anyone explain how the PS3 went from beating the 360 by just under 40k the previous week, to now essentially annihilation numbers of over 110k the subsequent week? I don’t understand how in the space of a week they can have such massive favoritism, seemingly from no significant event. Good on them though.

These numbers really gives strength to the PS3 getting the coveted 140k weekly margin numbers required to essentially ‘catch up’ to the 360 at the end of this year. The 360 clearly needs a price cut and better marketing in Europe and the other ‘Others’ nations…