By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony PS3 beats Microsoft XBOX 360 handidly!

I swear if I could invent a knife that could easily split hairs I'd be a millionare selling them on this site.

Around the Network
madskillz said:
Munkeh111 said:
@ mad skills. At the moment Sony's problem is America, software sales and hardware sales are struggling there. what sony needs is a few killer apps that appeal to the US market. You would assume Killzone would do some good, GTA IV will give it a boost, but not above the 360 which is its main competitor at the moment. They are doing very well in Europe in hardware and software, which is making up for their current woes in the US, but if they want to catch the 360, they will have to do something about the US

@ Munkeh

Oh, I agree with you that Sony is facing an uphill fight in the U.S., but take a good look at the numbers. Even in Japan, the 360 is getting beat by the PS3 by like 50K weekly. In others, it is losing 75-100K some weeks. However, it's still the holidays. I can not emphasis this enough. If the PS3 is sustaining the same kind of lead over the 360 when April hits, oh yeah, it's going for the win. However, during the holidays, folks will gladly overextend themselves to get gifts for folks. They will make huge purchases just because it's the holidays. Under normal circumstances without the holidays in play, you can't expect that many folks to drop that much money on a system. Unless you have a killer budget or a well paying job - or whip out the plastic, folks won't make an impulse buy that large months after the holidays.

Working retail for a Black Friday and into the holidays, I learned one thing - customers armed with little knowledge, much ignorance and a credit card are deadly combinations. They will buy a turd if it's packaged right.

"Here Johnny, enjoy this fresh turd!"

I don't wish ill-will on any system, but it baffles me how many folks will buy a system based on brand alone and with little to no research as to why they are buying it.

As I stated earlier, the victory dance will be rather premature if the 360 rebounds after the holidays and the PS3 settles back into preholiday numbers - and believe you me, 360 fan bois will bookmark all of these crow threads and resurrect them like they were Lazarus.

If you don't think the 360 also got a boost from this supposed willingness to overextend oneself, then you're high.

The 360 got a boost, just as the PS3 got a boost, from the lack of Wiis. The Arcade was the top beneficiary of the lack of Wiis, due to the price point.

However, MS has done one price cut in 2 years. One and it was laughable. However, it was enough to generate sales. And with MS finally making some loot, they will have even more price cuts - real ones - making it lower or at the same price point as the Wii. Sony won't be able to match it, and the holiday trend will reverse.

Sony's *success* has come at the expanse of multiple SKUs, $100 price cut, all combined with huge losses on the PS3 hardware. When the reports hit in February, you can't laugh off Sony's losses. Nor will their stock holders.

I am convinced the stock holders, not the devs or gamers, will determine the future of the PS3. Yeah, it may be selling, but as I started earlier, it's selling as BR player, not as a game console.

madskillz said:
The 360 got a boost, just as the PS3 got a boost, from the lack of Wiis. The Arcade was the top beneficiary of the lack of Wiis, due to the price point.

However, MS has done one price cut in 2 years. One and it was laughable. However, it was enough to generate sales. And with MS finally making some loot, they will have even more price cuts - real ones - making it lower or at the same price point as the Wii. Sony won't be able to match it, and the holiday trend will reverse.

Sony's *success* has come at the expanse of multiple SKUs, $100 price cut, all combined with huge losses on the PS3 hardware. When the reports hit in February, you can't laugh off Sony's losses. Nor will their stock holders.

I am convinced the stock holders, not the devs or gamers, will determine the future of the PS3. Yeah, it may be selling, but as I started earlier, it's selling as BR player, not as a game console.

You've stated it, but that doesn't make it true.

In the US, 360 has a sales rate over the PS3 of 3:1. Both AC and CoD4 sell about 3:1 in PS3 vs. 360. So, what numbers do you have to back up your assertion that the PS3 is selling as a Blu Ray player and not a games console? The only metrics that we have to go by seem to suggest otherwise.

Edit: It's worth noting that the Wii's attach rate is about on par with the PS3.  Does this mean people are also buying the Wii just for Blu Ray playback? 

I have always maintained that the PS3 will outsell the 360 this year, and every year after.

However, PS3 will not pass the 360 in WW sales in 2008.

360's yearly sales
1. ~7m
2. ~9m *due to Halo 3
3. ~8m
4+ continue to slowly decline

PS3
1. ~9m
2. ~15m
3. ~15m
4+ level off and start to slowly decline much slower than 360's rate.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
I have always maintained that the PS3 will outsell the 360 this year, and every year after.

However, PS3 will not pass the 360 in WW sales in 2008.

360's yearly sales
1. ~7m
2. ~9m *due to Halo 3
3. ~8m
4+ continue to slowly decline

PS3
1. ~9m
2. ~15m
3. ~15m
4+ level off and start to slowly decline much slower than 360's rate.

OT: is your nickname a reference to the band?

madskillz said:

Wrong.

The DS and PSP benefited from the lack of Wii's, just as they did during the 2006 holiday season. Even if someone needed something to hold them over until they could find a Wii, they'd spend $150-$200 max on a DS or PSP + a game than in upwards of $300 for a 360 plus a game.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

The only market that matters is the US and Xbox is dominating the PS3 in software and hardware sales

What are you looking at, nerd?
StanGable said:
The only market that matters is the US and Xbox is dominating the PS3 in software and hardware sales

lol !

the numbers on vgchartz is wrong 360 has sold 17.7 million well microsoft are saying so http://www.techzonez.com/comments.php?shownews=22902

it not who i am but what i do that defines me. you'll never walk alone you'll never walk alone walk on walk on.