By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why does the xbox360 is so LOUD when it runs? AND why.....

The 360 in idle is fine it's loud but the sound isn't so much intrusive during play WOW I seriously cannot play my 360 at night.. because I have to turn the volume up and it ends up waking people up(I don't know why I need to look into it but from my room things are louder outside from within than they are in the actual room..)

I was nervous when I first turned on my 360, I knew it was loud I'd just forgotten how loud and you'd think at least the new ones and the elite would be a little quieter...

I still like my 360 though.. my PS3 gets -somewhat- loud when accessing data but other then that it's pretty damn quiet.. my PC too.. when I first turned my PC on I had to check that it was actually running by opening the case cause I didn't believe it.

Around the Network

It also depends on what dvd drive you happen to get... Some are a lot quieter than others.

the 360 is loud because of 2 things, the x12 DVD drive, and the 2 small case fans.

the case fans will start making even less sound when the GPU finally makes it 65NM tech, but the real culprit is the x12 DVD drive and you can't make it go slower cause they will cuase loading screens to be even longer.

Any certain reason your first post is a flaming/troll post? Your likely going to get a ban real quick if you keep that up.

At any rate, 2 main reasons:

#1. The Xbox 360's DVD is faster than the PS3s, or any other drive for that matter. At 12x, it creates alot of noise.

#2. You might have an older DVD drive. The first and second generation DVD drives were louder than the newest models (BenQ).

Either way, if the DVD drive is your only complaint about a video game system, I think you have some unresolved issues somewhere :-p

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

My Elite is quieter then my friends launch premium.
Mine is Quiet.
His is a chain-saw.

SSBB: 1977-0005-2980 (JOEY) MKWii: 4382-2877-5902 (Joeykanga)
Wii:4027-0084-9432-1532             PM me if you add me.
Tag courtesy of fkusumot: Joeykanga - "Just post something once, don't ruin the thread"
Around the Network

It's not loud, it's just that you have super powered hearing. You may have heat vision too. Just keep practicing.

As for that huge power supply, evev the Gamecube had one (albeit not so big). I know it's hard to play Call of Duty 4 when all you can think about is the power supply, but tuck the thing behind your TV. Eventually, You'll forget that it's there.

While this is certainly somewhat of a trollish topic, I have to say I agree... when I first heard a friend's 360 running, I couldn't believe it. It's just much too loud.

Currently playing: NSMB (Wii) 

Waiting for: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), The Last Story (Wii), Golden Sun (DS), Portal 2 (Wii? or OSX), Metroid: Other M (Wii), 
... and of course Zelda (Wii) 

the system is fueled by the ghosts of dead babies and apple programmers, occassionally they've been known to make a little noise so you'll just have to get used to it.

The only teeth strong enough to eat other teeth.

My 360 barely makes noise. My 40 GB PS3 actually makes more noise. My 360 has only made noise when playing for a long period of time like 8-10 hours straight. I was surprised the first time I heard the 360 make noise. The thing with the 360 is its the disc drive that makes noise not the internal fan.

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus

XGamer0611 said:
My 360 barely makes noise. My 40 GB PS3 actually makes more noise. My 360 has only made noise when playing for a long period of time like 8-10 hours straight. I was surprised the first time I heard the 360 make noise. The thing with the 360 is its the disc drive that makes noise not the internal fan.

To all u GUYS SAYIN THE xbox360 isnt that loud or the PS3 is actually louder than the xbox360 is a bunch of bullsh**!! and ya'll know it!! MY NEFPHEW HAS a 360 and got it 4 christmas and i own a PS3 so i know for myself! THE PS3 is QUIET AS A KITTEN AND BY FAR DOES NOT SOUND AS LOUD AS THE xbox360!!!!! AND ITS THE FAN BLARRHING AND MAKING THE CHAINSAW NOISE AND WHEN U PUT A DISC IN AND PLAY IT,THE CHAINSAW NOISE TRIPLES!! BUT NO ONE HAS SAID Y THE xbox360 needs that big azz power adapter!! THAT SUCKA IS HUMONGEOUS!!!!! GBOWRecords?

iWillCrushAllWhoDefyMe!                                                                           PN ID- DrivenToExcell -if you want to add me to your friends list tell me where you know me from(vgchartz) www.twitter.com/driventoexcell