By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why does the xbox360 is so LOUD when it runs? AND why.....

Good Lord. The first 10+ threads are run by Sony trolls and fanboys. What the heck?

To answer your actual question:

The DVD drive runs loudly because it's faster than the Playstation 3 by a decent double-digit percentage. Because it's faster, it runs louder. Its not actually Microsoft, MrPickes, it's the various makers of the X360 DVD drives (Hitatchi, BenQ, Samsung, ect). They've made them quieter with each succuessive generation of X360 DVD Drives, but are still sometimes louder than PS3s, depending on models.

As for the power source - unlike the Playstation 3, where it's almost entirely (or entirely) internal, Microsoft favored the brick being on the outside. Ever notice the fact the PS3 is a bit larger than the Xbox 360 console? One reason is because Microsoft would prefer an external power supply, and shrink it as the CPU/GPU size gets smaller, and better.

And remember, for the 3-4 Sony trolls and fanboys in this post: This is a Microsoft forum. Tone down your anti-X360 banter (which was entirely wrong from each poster), or your getting banned. This thread will be locked in short order if the BS keeps flowing from your mouth(s), Failureisnotanoption. Posting random fanboy banter without any specific claims to back it up rather than "OMGH, The PS3Z IZ BETTERZ" will result in a ban.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

i have the wii and the 360--wii wins--and i would bet it would beat out the ps3 as well---but then again my SUPER NES wins

Simple answer: its noisy becuase its a cheaper drive, and if you want a noise-free experience, buy a newer version, which have better drives

"Posting random fanboy banter without any specific claims to back it up rather than "OMGH, The PS3Z IZ BETTERZ" will result in a ban."
Just curious - does the same apply to u, or u somehow have the right to post "claims" that have no proof or basis?

"The DVD drive runs loudly because it's faster than the Playstation 3 by a decent double-digit percentage. Because it's faster, it runs louder."

False. The Blu-ray drive speeds are pretty comparable, and there are DVD players that are as fast but quiet. The noise level is related to the quality, not speed - I have seen 18x drives that run quieter.

" As for the power source - unlike the Playstation 3, where it's almost entirely (or entirely) internal, Microsoft favored the brick being on the outside. Ever notice the fact the PS3 is a bit larger than the Xbox 360 console? One reason is because Microsoft would prefer an external power supply, and shrink it as the CPU/GPU size gets smaller, and better. "

Again, you are assuming a "reason" why MS did it. My alternative explanation - because the heat sink is so poor, MS couldnt afford to have an internal heat generating brick.
You are also trying to project that a "smaller" console with a brick (360) is better than one without (PS3). Again, a clever sleight of hand - Of all the gamers I know (owning different consoles) NONE would prefer a brick unit to another that has no brick, even if slightly larger.

My friends 360 sounds like a lawnmower...(or maybe a helicopter?) when it turns on.

Always makes me laugh. He has to actually turn the volume on the tv up higher to drown out the noise.

FailureIsNotAnOption said:
does this console need that big a** power adapter? Maybe im not the first to ask this,but WHY? The PS3 has simple plug ins and its runs SO QUIET! I luv my PS3,so simple,so quiet,so blu-ray,so many more features! Blockbuster even rents blu-ray discs,not hd dvds and sales for the week are more and more than the xbox360 hardware.PS3 is MORE BANG FOR THE BUCK!!!!!!! Driven2excel

power adapter is in the ps3 ...

and do you play games without sound or something ...

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
colinbell said:

Simple answer: its noisy becuase its a cheaper drive, and if you want a noise-free experience, buy a newer version, which have better drives

"Posting random fanboy banter without any specific claims to back it up rather than "OMGH, The PS3Z IZ BETTERZ" will result in a ban."
Just curious - does the same apply to u, or u somehow have the right to post "claims" that have no proof or basis?

"The DVD drive runs loudly because it's faster than the Playstation 3 by a decent double-digit percentage. Because it's faster, it runs louder."

False. The Blu-ray drive speeds are pretty comparable, and there are DVD players that are as fast but quiet. The noise level is related to the quality, not speed - I have seen 18x drives that run quieter.

" As for the power source - unlike the Playstation 3, where it's almost entirely (or entirely) internal, Microsoft favored the brick being on the outside. Ever notice the fact the PS3 is a bit larger than the Xbox 360 console? One reason is because Microsoft would prefer an external power supply, and shrink it as the CPU/GPU size gets smaller, and better. "

Again, you are assuming a "reason" why MS did it. My alternative explanation - because the heat sink is so poor, MS couldnt afford to have an internal heat generating brick.
You are also trying to project that a "smaller" console with a brick (360) is better than one without (PS3). Again, a clever sleight of hand - Of all the gamers I know (owning different consoles) NONE would prefer a brick unit to another that has no brick, even if slightly larger.

I agree with every response here.

@mrstickball

I assume you are a mod (with the red name),  and that might obligate you to answer his question, but in response to this:

"And remember, for the 3-4 Sony trolls and fanboys in this post: This is a Microsoft forum. Tone down your anti-X360 banter (which was entirely wrong from each poster), or your getting banned. "

The biggest offender is the OP, it's just a PS3 troll starting a flame war.

agree ban OP

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Why would you ban such a great topic starter like this, the PS3 part of the forums get trolled alot worse then this, and you all know it. We all know the 360 is louder then the PS3 even the wii is louder then my PS3.

Just so i don't get banned, the 360 is a great gaming machine, with 2007 being the best year for a console since 2001 for the PS2. The 360 also has many great titles coming out this year.

great??? :S man you are mad...
what does it matter if sony forum is trolled? it should not be allowed anyway...

Yea, the DVD drive is rather annoying when it gets moving. However, my room mate's 360 purchased this past September isn't as loud as (get ready for this) my friend's ex-boyfriend's 360 which was more of a lunch unit or around that time. When that guy's 360 started up, it was like Maverick had just requested to buzz the tower.

So it's good at least that they've tried to take care of that problem, though my room mate's 360 still announces that it's spinning the disk.