By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sold my wii for a PS3. I have a Q though.

So, I just sold my Wii bc i realized it just collects dust bc im a harcore gamer and have finished with Zelda and Mario, and all that was left for me was SSB, which i can play at friends houses, bc the online will be horrible. With these exra funds from Ebay I can't resist buying a PS3 that finally has some nice looking games now, and coming soon. I think I'v decided on getting the 40 gb version bc I wont need a ton of storage space (having trouble filling up 40 bg of my Elite's hardrive). So i have been looking at the new chips coming for the Ps3 and have come away from Google completely comfused. So my Q is, do the 40 gb versions of the PS3 have the new 65 nm chips? are they coming soon? do all models have them? are the 45 nm chips coming soon? 

This is to decide when to buy it bc if the newer smaller chips are coming soon then i will wait till then. 

And plz no "I think they are 45nm"  Only FACTS Plz. Thx. :) 

I am just taking in all the benefits of the console war.

Playing: Halo 3/Eternal Sonata (360), MP3 (Wii)

Live Tag: ipwndurmom69

Around the Network

Does it really matter? My 60gb doesnt even warm up.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

In all honesty, it doesn't really matter when it comes to the Playstation 3 in terms of hardware reliability. If you're concerned however about power usage than I can tell you that Kaz Hirai stated that the 40GB Playstation 3 SKU's feature 65nm chips.

Shoulda kept the Wii. Buy Metroid Prime 3. It is an awesome FPS. Well... Have fun with your PS3.

The 360 won't bomb, the Ps3 won't sell out past 100 million, the Wii will. Over all predictions, NINTENDO IS BACK IN FIRST BITCHES!

Oh, never mind. Didn't read the bottom

The 360 won't bomb, the Ps3 won't sell out past 100 million, the Wii will. Over all predictions, NINTENDO IS BACK IN FIRST BITCHES!

Around the Network

For the 40GB model, the Cell processor is 65nm but the RSX GPU is still 90nm. That's enough to drastically reduce the power consumption.

It (PS3's market share) might hit 30%, but definently not more. ~ Neo

Flaming (Calling another user (any user) a fanboy is flaming.) ~ Machina-AX

The 40 gb has the 65nm CPU, but the graphics chip is still the same size at the original. I think sometime later this year they will reduce the size of that as well.

Don't worry about it though, as all it does is reduce the manufacturing costs for Sony. It will not make your system any better. I do think the 40 gb PS3 is the best if you are not worried about backwards compatibility (although I bet some day in the future, a patch will re-add that ability). Due to the smaller die, it uses less fans (or the same number at lower RPM's), and thus is quieter. I see you have a 360 though, and any PS3 in comparison will sound super silent next to it. If the fan noise of the 360 does not bother you, then no worries on what PS3 you get.

Just get it now man, i wouldn't worry about a smaller chip.

Your questions are answered already but just to clarify, the 40Gb has a 65nm CELL and a 90nm GPU.

The 45nm CELL is probably 1 year away... regarding the RSX only God knows since Nvidia is still working on a the 65nm :(

BTW: Congratulations on your decision, I'm going to buy a 2nd PS3 in a couple of weeks (got the Sony Card so I'm going to get a PS3 for $299 with 12 month no interest). I'm going to get a 40Gb, it runs almost completely silent which is awesome :)

PSN ID: krik

Optimistic predictions for 2008 (Feb 5 2008): Wii = 20M, PS3 = 14M, X360 = 9.5M

dosnt matter my 60gig been working since dec 25 2006 and it still works
i dont know why your worryed about a small chip

sony and nintendo supporter

i  do not trust microsoft they screwed me over the last time with vista