By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - If the Wii never existed, what would the market look like?

The PS2 would benefit the most
There would be much more PS3's sold in Japan
There would be a larger gap between Xbox360 and PS3 in NA
Not sure about EU....

Around the Network

I wouldn't have a console, I skipped last gen and I would have skipped this one too.

if nintendo was out of the market i think the market itself would've crashed exept for the pc market then no more consoles would be made after this gen.

dick cheney loves me, he wants to take me hunting

mkwii code- 1977-0565-0049

About the same. The PS3 and 360 both may have seen slightly more sales, but I doubt much. The Wii is a different console aimed at a different market.

Finally a new topic! Hooray for That Guy for being creative!

On topic: I think it'd be much the same because of the different markets the consoles have, the HD vs. the non-HD console. Some Wii owners would buy a PS or XB but it would be overall less sales, since Nintendo has reached the casuals. People would still be fat without Wii fit, and We would have had nothing to make fun of the title of a system. (I Still can't get over it being called Wii). I think it'd be different, but whether or not it'd be worse or not, no, it would be less casual.

Around the Network

If the Wii didn't exist, the PS2 would have another 5-year lifespan.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

i wouldn't buy any of them, since I wasn't a gamer until the Wii launched (the last console i had had was ps1, and i didn't use it so much) i wouldn't care about gaming, maybe i wouldn't be on this site :(.

I think the most likely scenario would be that I didn't own a console right now at all. But I would be considering buying an Xbox360

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

I'm not sure about what the market would look like today, but there sure would have been a lot less giggling in 2006!

Honestly, I likley have a 360 now. I had an XBox (and GCN) last gen, and am dying to play Mass Effect and Bioshockand am very curious about Banjo Kazooie 3. It would also matter which console got the bulk of Nintendo games (or did they cease to exist too?). As it is, I am reluctant to spend over $300 on a new system, so there's also a good chance that I'd be waiting to purchase my next system.

Without Wii

360 - 70% of market

PS3 - 30% of market and rising