By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do publishers and developers show obvious favor to Sony?

because nintendo always make the hardware how they feel like and force devs to adapt it....and they launch when other systems are at the peak of their sales so developers are obviously going to focus on those systems and not nintendo's.

Around the Network

Actually, I don't see this being the case of it all. Sony had to spend a couple billion dollars and research their own product that Ken Kutaragi made so complicated to get the 3rd party devs on board again. If anything, Microsoft got the most preferential treatment this generation. The exception being Japanese 3rd party games that cater mainly to the Japanese audience (ie. Valkyria, Yakuza, Atelier) Even though a monkey should be able to figure out that jRPGs wouldn't do so well on the 360, companies still made them exclusive to that platform initially (Star Ocean, Tales of Vesperia).

As for third parties not supporting Nintendo as well as you think they should, there is probably a lot more behind closed doors that gamers and fanboys don't see. It's really Nintendo's problem. They have shown they can financially succeed without major third party support. From Ninty's perspective, why should they change now?

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

RolStoppable said:
There's the ill-belief that games that sell huge take away sales from smaller games. What's actually happening is that these huge games spark interest in gaming as a whole and smaller games benefit from it. This is obvious when you think with a gamer's mind, but developers and publishers rarely do this. Which is why they think that it is a good idea to put a stop to the used games market, for example.

Nintendo has many huge games and then some still fairly big ones. Microsoft has few games, but still blockbusters. Sony has lots of games, but combined they only amount to about the same number as Microsoft published games. In terms of blockbusters, Microsoft has the lead over Sony.

Now if you are a third party and believe that huge games take away sales from smaller ones which company is the most favorable and which one is the least favorable to work with? Exactly.

so then why does MS and SOny seem to get the same treatment across the board??

Hynad said:
sales2099 said:
Guess its Sony calling in favours from the PS1 and PS2 days lol.

But it is confusing.......PSP software sales outside mega franchises sell like absolute garbage......and yet here we are now with massive 3rd party Vita support.

Developers will learn eventually....the hard way. Sony dug its own grave by missing a NA and Europe holiday release.

After the holidays, people will notice the obvious hardware gap between the Vita and the 3DS, Vita will launch in NA/Europe in a NON HOLIDAY month, leading to less then proper opening sales of software. The price gap will show, at least I think, which will lead to a 3DS like drop in hardware sales post launch.

Vita would have had a chance if it launched globally this holiday, but the point is after it launches and given all the factors, developers will switch back to the 3DS.

Of course.  Because everyone knows that the only time a system sells is during its launch window.  *facepalm*

Because everyone knows that how a product sells during the first year determines how it sells afterwards.........

Launch later then 3DS, miss the NA/Europe holidays, launch in a non shopper frenzy month, price gap, no Mario esque flagship titles. 

I facepalm your facepalm

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
Hynad said:
sales2099 said:
Guess its Sony calling in favours from the PS1 and PS2 days lol.

But it is confusing.......PSP software sales outside mega franchises sell like absolute garbage......and yet here we are now with massive 3rd party Vita support.

Developers will learn eventually....the hard way. Sony dug its own grave by missing a NA and Europe holiday release.

After the holidays, people will notice the obvious hardware gap between the Vita and the 3DS, Vita will launch in NA/Europe in a NON HOLIDAY month, leading to less then proper opening sales of software. The price gap will show, at least I think, which will lead to a 3DS like drop in hardware sales post launch.

Vita would have had a chance if it launched globally this holiday, but the point is after it launches and given all the factors, developers will switch back to the 3DS.

Of course.  Because everyone knows that the only time a system sells is during its launch window.  *facepalm*

Because everyone knows that how a product sells during the first year determines how it sells afterwards.........

Launch later then 3DS, miss the NA/Europe holidays, launch in a non shopper frenzy month, price gap, no Mario esque flagship titles. 

I facepalm your facepalm

How cute.  

History will prove you wrong.  But we'll have to take the wait and see approach.  ^_-

Seeing how the Vita is getting a lot of attention, left and right, and how Sony secured a lot of support from third parties, I wouldn't count them out so hastily like you're naively doing.  For all we know, there's gonna be a holiday season in 2012, right?  By that time, there's gonna be lots of must have titles already out.  Making purchasing the device even more worthwhile.

But you wouldn't see that since you focus only on the launch window... ¬_¬

Around the Network
darkknightkryta said:
You sound butt hurt on this (Insert you mad troll face). But seriously, Ubisoft supported the PSP early one when software was selling at its highest, same with other publishers. And that's when those half assed, misnamed, Prince of Persia games came out. Now look at the past 2 maybe even 3 years, there's no support from North American devs for the PSP. Sony probably paid to have Assassin's Creed on PSP or those Petz games. I mean do you see sequels now? Same with consoles, you make it sound like devs bent over backwards to get stuff on the PS3, yet I don't know where you were at launch, but games were getting released on PS3 a good 6 months to a year after the 360. They claimed "issues" with porting, which is true, yet when the games did release they were very half assed and makes you wonder what they did for 6 months (Except Oblivion, that came out better). Final Fantasy (A series from a company that would have been bankrupt if Sony didn't bail them), was announced as multi-platform for Microsoft's console, after years and repeatedly iterating the game was a PS3 exclusive. Capcom shifted development of Monster Hunter 3 from the PS3 to the Wii. Horii abandoned Sony and moved Dragon Quest exclusively to Nintendo. Capcom just announced Monster Hunter 4 for the 3DS, moved the PSP Resident Evil to the 3DS (I'm assuming that mind you but the PSP game disapeared). And I honestly havn't seen any Vita games other than the announced Call of Duty (Which can just as easily be cancelled) and that Bioshock game from North American devs. Namco released Ace Combat 6 (or 5, whatever it was) exclusively on the 360, a release that would have helped the PS3 in japan had it had a port. Namco released Tales of Vesperia exclusively on the 360 outside of Japan. Tri-Ace might have effectively killed Star Ocean with that 360 exclusive deal. I have a better question, why do you think devs and publishers havn't dicked Sony around for the past 5 years?

pretty much this(exluding the butt hurt part)

you say that the PSP has only 2 titles that have broken a million. Where were you when Monster sold 4 million last year and countless more titles in japan selling 100s of thousands if not breaking a million.

PSP sales were weak from Huge priacy issues, and since the target market and owners of the PSP were gamer that were more tech savy and knew how to get games from the net is a valid reason why sales in western markets of PSP games were lower than the 3DS who primary market were children and causal gamers who wouldn't know what a torrent is.

Well i dont know why developers support sony, my guess is that SONY has a proud history of supporting 3rd party developers over others especially Nintendo.

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

Ill tell you from a developer perspective its basically support, Nintendo's tools maybe the cheapest but there also the worst to use and there developer support is nothing short of tragic in comparison to Sony and MS.

Creating an online game for Nintendo is an absolute ball ache compared to the other two, as arguable the most important part of games going forward they need to sort it out ASAP.

I don't think they favour Sony so much as:

a) they see Nintendo platforms as being Nintendo titles centric and are nervous and competing with core Nintendo titles

b) Sony provides better support for third parties on its platforms

It's never black and white though, there are developers who clearly feel they know how to work alongside Nintendo and happily (and often profitably) do so. Equally there are those who don't.

Really, if you look at home consoles you can see how developers really responded to MS offering the best development tools and a lot of support, then Sony next and Nintendo last for essentially the same reasons.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Butthurt to the max. I know you are trying to desperately defend your purchase of the 3ds but let's face it. The PS vita is way more appealing to devs than the 3ds. The hardware is fantastic it puts the 3ds to shame in nearly every aspect.