By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Jeremy clarkson for Primeminister

^^^ Care to elaborate on that? I am very familiar with how the EU works, or doesn't, but do explain how European leaders maintain a decent amount of authority in their own countries.

From what I've heard I do like the guy, but I haven't heard much and since I'm not British and he has no chance of being PM it's not important to learn more.

Around the Network

@albionus - you'll be pleased to know that all homes in the UK will be powered by windturbines by 2020.

@OT, I really, REALLY hope you're joking. The man is a complete jerk and a terrible actor (one of which is required, the other of which is needed but missing). He would be too irrational to lead any kind of well, anything. And he's not exactly a great image for the UK, either.

Exactly the problem Samuel, except for windswept small countries bordering much larger countries (ie Denmark) wind power is not a viable power source.

SamuelRSmith said:
@albionus - you'll be pleased to know that all homes in the UK will be powered by windturbines by 2020.

@OT, I really, REALLY hope you're joking. The man is a complete jerk and a terrible actor (one of which is required, the other of which is needed but missing). He would be too irrational to lead any kind of well, anything. And he's not exactly a great image for the UK, either.

I'm not really that serious, he will never be primeminister

@Albionus

Well, the UK has enough coast, and is next to the Atlantic Ocean. Plenty of wind and space for all the turbines needed.

I, for one, am more interested in wave power. Saw a demo of it working shown off by the inventor. Reliable, but very expensive initially, but it (apparently) should work out in the end.

Around the Network

@samuel
The problem isn't so much how much coast there is but that wind power generates from -5%-100% of its capicity (yes it can go negative) at various times. With an electric grid where supply and demand have to equal each other there are 3 options to deal with the variability,

1) have natural gas power plants on stand by ready to ramp up and down or be willing to waste electricity production from coal/oil/nuclear power plants both of which are expensive and sort of beside the point.

2) hook into to a much much larger grid where your large fluctuations are tiny and easy to handle. This is what Denmark does since it's neighbors are almost 20 times bigger than it and the Swedes/Norwegians use hydro power that is much cheaper to waste electricity for regulating wind power fluctuations.

3) just let the lights go out when wind power drops.

Option 2 is not availible to Britain. Option 1 would be very expensive and would require the very pollution wind is supposed to eliminate (except for nuclear power but that scares too many people). So basically the wind power fetish of the British govt will leave Britain either paying much more for the same power and pollution but with huge wind turbines dotting the landscape or paying a little more to have power that can go off whenever the wind dies down.

Also wind power is both much more expensive than proponents claim (seems they ignore maintanence and extra power plant expenses) and more dangerous. There have been several cases of fatigued turbine blades or towers breaking off nd landing in roads/next to houses in Germany for example.

Wave sounds promising since it doesn't have the wide variability of wind but it just doesn't seem that except for a handful of cases (small isolated islands or coastal villages) it can produce electricity at economical rates.

hehe that would be fun TopGear ftw

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

greenpeace would have a fit

highwaystar101 said:
JC - He is a journalist, he mostly drives cars and shouts POWER, he has 2 sidekicks called hammond and may who presnt a show called top gear. He has a real "make Britain great again" attitude that some people like and some hate. He has quite a few vaious political views.

Good description, he also hates anytihng green (eco friendly), health and safety rules and caravans

Played_Out said:
Jeremy Clarkson. The Enoch Powell of car shows.

Seriously, it's bad enough that he even has a newspaper column. If you've ever had the misfortune to read it you will know what I mean when I say that he is a boorish, ignorant prick with zero understanding of social issues and a complete aversion to the facts. Actually, thinking about it, that pretty much qualifies him for office.

Anyway, if he was the Prime Minister, elections would probably be rigged just like every episode of Top Gear (I'm convinced there is a clause in his contract stating that he always has to win).

If you would genuinely like to see someone like him running the country, my advice is to do the rest of us a favour and NEVER EVER VOTE!

It is entirely scripted and the winner of the challenge is also decided at the start. Nonetheless, it is entertaining