By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is the Scariest Game You Have Played This Gen?

So VGChartz, do you have a "scariest" game you have played this gen? The gaming site, Kotaku recently did a study on what gamers thought was the scariest game out on Xbox 360. They narrowed it down to 4 games and tested them with casual gamers and more hard core gamers. The Casual gamers were obviously more frightened than the hard core gamers. This was due to hard core gamers being more familiar with the suspenseful environments. The game that won as the "scariest" to gamers was Dead Space 2. Read article below.

http://kotaku.com/5838626/science-determines-the-xbox-360s-scariest-video-game

So what in your opinion is the scariest game you have played. Maybe games don't frighten you easily, but maybe there is a game you could name that kept your heart pumping.

Also as a side question, how do you think the suspense in today's generation of games compare to older generations. Would you say games are less suspenseful in general or more suspenseful? I would personally claim that games in general are more suspenseful due to better graphics, more life like environments, and better overall story immersion. I could also argue that some franchises have lost their "scary" edge. This would include Resident Evil in my opinion. Resident Evil seems to have gone from intense suspenceful gaming to more action/shooter oriented.

Please, give your thoughts on this matter. 

Around the Network

I guess Dead Space i dont play many horror games.

It was either Dead Space or Dead Space 2 for me. I don't remember that much of the first one, but Dead Space 2 made me jump a number of times.

I don't know why people tell me to get a life. I'm a gamer, I have lots of lives!

The only horror game I played was SH: Homecoming, so I guess that one. It wasn't that scary though.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

I'm afraid of dieing, so playing scary (or hard) games on easy makes them less scary :)

Around the Network
Navane said:
It was either Dead Space or Dead Space 2 for me. I don't remember that much of the first one, but Dead Space 2 made me jump a number of times.

I have only gotten to play Dead Space 2 for a limited time. What I played seemed fairly suspenseful. I would like to play all the way through it to get the full effect. I remember the first time I played F.E.A.R on PC I genuinely jumped a couple times. Now the F.E.A.R. franchise seems a bit predictable to me. I havn't played FEAR 3 yet so I can't judge that one as of yet. 

Also believe it or not the game, "Peter Jackson's King Kong" kept my heart pumping in spots. Having 3 mean looking Raptors chase you to eat you alive while you try to fend them off with a stick is a bit stressful :).

Probably Condemned. It was just so... tense. And scuzzy. I feel like I need a shower whenever I even think about it. Dead Space was also pretty fucking awesome, too, packing all the creepiness of Event Horizon minus the cheese factor that made it seem like a B-movie. Space is just fucking scary to me! Honorable mention to Demon's Souls as well. I haven't played much, but the sense of isolation and not knowing what the fuck is just ahead of you (oh shit oh shit oh shit! I can hear it, but I can't see it!) reminds me of the original Silent Hill.

Overall, I'm tempted to say games are less scary than they used to be, but I'm not sure whether that's just because I'm older and more jaded or simply because the old standbys aren't what they used to be, with Resident Evil having gone in more of an action direction, Silent Hill being in inferior hands, and Clock Tower being dead as shit.

non-gravity said:

I'm afraid of dieing, so playing scary (or hard) games on easy makes them less scary :)

:) yes it is nice when you have a mean ugly looking creature in front of you and you can laugh at it since it has to hit you 20 times to take you out, and you can kill it in a few hits. Sometimes I love developers for including easy mode still.

I don't know if you'd consider Half-Life 2 part of this gen but it's the scarriest I've played myself. Valve is just so good at making engrossing atmospheres. The zombie village part...ugh.