By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft to announce Blu Ray add on for the X360?

http://sillegamer.com/?p=3750

According to the rumor section of the August 2011 edition of the Xbox 360 Mag Italy, Microsoft is supposedly gearing up to release an external Blu-ray drive for their highly successful Xbox 360 console.

If proven to to factually correct, the enticing addition of a Blu-ray drive could be a direct measure to counter the PS3′s rising momentum – following the highly publicized price cut announced by Sony at Gamescom 2011.

An interesting selection of rumors have surfaced over the years relating to the possible introduction of an add-on Blu-ray drive for Xbox 360, with SmartHouse previously reporting that Microsoft intended to release both an external Blu-ray drive and also a fully-fledged, Blu-ray-enabled console.

“Insiders at Microsoft in the USA have told SmartHouse that Microsoft has already configured a standalone Blu-ray player that can be connected into an Xbox 360 and that subject to internal marketing and sales approvals the model could be on sale within 3 months,” stated Smarthouse back in 2008.

The magazine did not elaborate on whether the rumored Xbox 360 Blu-ray drive would be utilized solely for the viewing of high definition movies, or whether the drive would usher in the availability of an increase in disc space for gaming.

The Blu-ray drive will most likely be a simple add-on for the console, as the idea of segmenting the user-base is absolutely insane to say the least.

Check out the rumor below and in the August 2011 edition of the Xbox 360 Mag Italy.

Around the Network

I think it would be a great add-on to have, yet I still can't picture it coming for Microsoft this generation.

Everyone needs to play Lost Odyssey! Any opposition to this and I will have to just say, "If it's a fight you want, you got it!"

Wow....

I highly doubt they would put a blue-ray device in the 360 but I guess I could see an add-on for blu-ray.

This would be great news if true.

Every year the same story :p

Around the Network

thought M$ ever say they doesn't need blu-ray drive at all...?

Blu ray drive with MGS4 Subsistence.Believe.Every year.

I just can't believe it.

Considering that they will be launching a new console in 2013... this would be insanely pointless.

Bluray players are really cheap now and they'll want current gamers to consider upgrading to the new console not wasting $50-$80 on a new accessory.

donsterydo2 said:
Every year the same story :p

This. The dashboard also looks pretty fake.

Either way I can't see it selling much more then $50 or $60, considering (at least in the US) Blu-Ray has already hit around the $99 mark.

I have netflix and thats enough for me.

It's just that simple.