By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft to announce Blu Ray add on for the X360?

Well, this would be a big surprise indeed. A add-on blu ray would be nice. Im just curious on the price.

Around the Network
twesterm said:
LivingMetal said:
twesterm said:
Lostplanet22 said:

Then why bought everyone an HD tv? 

Because it's cool or the wife's husband went out and bought it.

We can see the difference and care for a variety of reasons, but ask most people and they either can't see a difference or don't care.  Also, it's pretty hard not to buy an HDTV nowadays.

Edit: A thought just came to me.  Those "most people" who "can't see a difference or don't care" are Xbox 360 users hence, no need for Blu-ray on the Xbox 360, right?

Nope, it's just one of those things.  The people into technology will get it, but your average person when presented with a Zune streamed 1080p movie and a fantastic Blu-Ray of the same movie either won't see the difference or they just won't care.  People into games, gadgets, and what-not absolutely care about the difference in quality but everyone else just doesn't get why one is better than the other.

It's like asking an audiophile what kind of head phones to buy.  They will go on and on about all sorts of stuff you don't know anything about and don't care.  What you care about is if they're comfortable and the music sounds good.  To most people, if they care about HD at all, they will want to know it's in HD and it looks good.  The fact that it's uncompressed audio and video will be completely lost on them.

im no audiophile or videophile. but i've got to see there is a fairly noticable difference in visual and audio playback quality between bluray movie and "1080p" zune movies. i have watched movies extensivesly from both methods, and i quarentee if you watch the same movie you would be able to see and especially here the difference without to much effort. its obviously no DVD to bluray difference, but still noticable nonetheless. and you dont have to be an expert to realize it

Now I know MS does dumb shit. But Blu Ray is NOT selling. People are moving right to downloads and streams.

xbox 360 accessories|ps3 accessories

xbox 360 av cable, it is portable and lightweight.

superchunk said:
Considering that they will be launching a new console in 2013... this would be insanely pointless.

Bluray players are really cheap now and they'll want current gamers to consider upgrading to the new console not wasting $50-$80 on a new accessory.

this

I agree with you %100. For Microsoft, streaming seems to be the cheaper way to go for most non-hardcore users. What i mean by this is, unlike you or I and most men. We do care about the quality of movie/shows we are watching and it seems that the trend is spreading like wild fire. People I know who were once against blu-ray or HD content are now would prefer it over the standards. Pretty soon HD will become the standards and streaming can only get you so far because internet provider are getting smarter and will try to bank off this. Internet providers are and will began to put a cap on how much bandwith you are using. Similiar to a wireless plan for cell phones. Streaming HD quality movies probably will take up your entire bandwith. Plus half the nation dont have high speed interenet and there are some who dont have internet at all. Streaming is a nice to have but dont expect to much from it because sooner or later you will be paying through your nose for interenet packages that let you stream unlimited contents.

In honesty, I think Microsoft main reason for thinking about releasing a bluray add-on is because DVD space is limited. Games are becoming more sophiscated and that equal to more information and contents. If MS dont do anything about this limitation, soon they will be releasing games with 8 dvd's (hopefully there next gen console will fix this issue).