By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which generation was a bigger leap in visuals 5th to 6th or 6th to 7th?

WHICH?!?!

5th to 6th 51 51.52%

6th to 7th 25 25.25%

Tie 8 8.08%

Who the FK cares? Graphic... 15 15.15%

Total:99

So the this question kinda comes up and many people seem to think this generation is not as big a leap than the last generation. So I thought I would make a thread now that this generation is starting to reach it's peak in terms of visuals. 

first catagory Naughty dog, who have been pushing awsome visuals on Sony platforms from the start.

Crash 3

Jack 3

Uncharted 3

Next up Final fantasy (judged by the first game in each generation as there has only been one this gen)

FFVII

FFX

FFXIII

Sci-Fi FPS (FPS games often push the boundaries of graphics)

Turok 3

Halo 2

Halo Reach

id on consoles, it's id Quake II

Quake II

Doom 3

Rage

Gran Turismo

Need for Speed

Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed

NFS: Most wanted

Hot Pursuit

If you have better videos or more comparisons feel free to suggest or add

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network

I would say the jump between 5th and 6th.

Speaking about polygonal graphics, the 5th gen (PS1) looked very rough around the edges. The 6th gen (PS2) largely fixed many of the 5th gen's shortcomings, instantly making 5th gen look very dated by comparison.

The 7th gen (PS3), however, mostly seemed to improve the 6th gen, as there wasn't quite as much that needed outright fixing. Even if the jump was the same technically speaking, the difference to my eyes was more pronounced between 5th and 6th.

As an example, it's the same difference between comparing the Atari 2600 to the NES to the SNES. To me the bigger jump is from the 2nd gen (2600) to the 3rd gen (NES).

Definitely 5 to 6.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

will the jump from SD to HD tv may cloud judgement.. it's 5 to 6..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

You may want to watch a couple bids to refresh you memory befor making you decision ; )

realistic FPS

Medal of Honor: Underground

Medal of Honor: European Assault

Medal of Honor 2010

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Around the Network

5th top 6th, by a long shot.
The 6th gen consoles immediately made anything from the 5th look primitive, while the best looking 6th gen games can stand up to many from the 7th.

I would say the 5th to 6th most definitely. It's like hardly being able to see, and then putting glasses on and seeing everything like it was for the first time. Going from Super Mario 64, to Super Mario Sunshine is like a breath of fresh air graphically.

I agree with archbrix. The 7th gen just seemed to improve what the 6th gen did. While games are now vastly improved on the quality front, the graphics themselves just aren't that big of a leap. I think that in order for the 8th gen to see a big leap, it's gonna have to be in world interactivity. While lighting, polygon count, and texture resolutions have seen a leap, interactivity remains largely the same as last gen. The only problem with that is it's gonna rely more on the developer being able to pull off something like that, then it is going to be a limitation for the consoles. A vast amount of time is going to be needed to invest in something like this. That means the shortcuts developers take developing games now aren't gonna be able to be applied. And on the other hand, too much interactivity could also break the game's world, so there's gonna have to be a balance somewhere along the way.

That's just one aspect of what next-gen needs to do in order to seem like a generational leap. Animation, and AI is gonna be another topic that needs to be addressed. The more advanced we go, the more it's gonna rely on developers and their skills to deliver better content than it will be on the limitations of consoles. It's eventually gonna get to the point where we might see large gaps between developers and what kind of content they bring. I can see that it won't be unlike the movie industry at a certain time, where you know what movie had the budget and what movie didn't. It's not quite as obvious now, as game design is limited by the consoles, but eventually it won't be. Will that be next-gen? No, I don't think it will. I'm predicting that it won't be until the generation after that, where we will see games that start to look like movies.

I don't know why people tell me to get a life. I'm a gamer, I have lots of lives!

So who actually watched some vids to remind them selves? Or was adding them a waste of time?

Tekken - they didn't really push graphics this gen

MGS

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

@TheVoxelman on twitter

herpa derpa it is

5th to 6th, no doubt for me.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.