By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Player1x3 said:
o_O.Q said:

... makes me wonder which story was based off of which... oh wait...

http://youtu.be/GYNmFQkHBaE

http://youtu.be/Hr2jRxLdJ2A

http://youtu.be/QJPPXujssLY

http://youtu.be/RiL8_iVNYR0

Y U NO AT LEAST DO SOME RESEARCH ??????

how do random youtube videos count as "research"... i didn't even waste my time watching them if you have something to add then explain to me what your point is...

Around the Network
Player1x3 said:
zarx said:
Player1x3 said:
zarx said:
Player1x3 said:

Ok, lets do this step by step.

1.I never said in ANY way, I said God exposes himself to people trough FAITH

2.I beleive its so, because it makes sense, if people actually SAW God while alive with their eyes, people would become largely dependant on him and loose free will, and that would go directly against his divine plan.

3.Again, I was talking about God's direct visual appereance to the world, as that would be ''the only ultimate proof'' of his existance, all others, would be refutable, and said that his appereance would directly damage his divine plan. I never denied that God can interact or even speak to some people, I only claimed he doesnt do that in visual appereance. God works in mysterious ways, after all :)

So what you are saying is that the only way that God exposes himself to humans is through them deciding that there is a god? That is kinda ilogical, if God only exposes himself to people that already belive in his existance how did the first human to have faith learn of God? 

That doesn't make sense if god reveald himself to everyone and told them he would not interfear with their lives in any way, how would people rely on him? I mean plenty of religious people do rely on God some extriemests even go as far as avoiding modern medicine because they think they can rely on god to fix all that ails them.

How could you possibly know he has a devine plan, exposing himself would hurt said plan if you disregard all holly texts? 

Are you saying that unless a person is religious, he cant possibly know of God? Thats pretty illogical. Knowledge and awarness of God is available to everyone, in fact 6.2 billion people are religious, weather or not you want to beleive in him is another thing. God pretty much gave us the power of creating our will, which means if one beleives there is no afterlife/God, he wont see or live trough one. If one truely and correctly does, he will.  Its only logical, wouldnt you agree. And I believe God doesnt want anyone to rely on them at all, unless something is is beyond their power of doing, which is rarely the case.

Because God isnt only described in holy texts. I've read a book once, called ''Conversations with God'' which really opened my eyes on his deity. I recommend you check it out. Its where I gathered about 70% of my knowledge of God

No I thought that was what you were argueing you said "I never said in ANY way, I said God exposes himself to people trough FAITH" which seems to emply that you belive that God only interacts directly with people of faith. I was arguing if that was true how did the belife in god start if god only interacted with people who already belived. Unless you are arguing that God doesn't exist outside of human thought just like the tooth fairy? But that would seem to conflict with your other belifes. 

As for Conversations with God book series, I generally avoid taking works of fiction writen by someone with aprent mental problems as fact. Hairing voices in your head is a suprisingly common symptom of mental illness and is often triggered by great emotional or physical distress, the author claims to have started hearing voices while at a low period in his life and writing an angry letter to God asking questions about why his life wasn't working. At least writing the series of books seems to have been theroputic for him (talking about the voices is known to help sufferers) I don't think people reinforcing his delusions is healthy.

You are asking a very dumb question here to be honest. ''How did belief in God started?'' I mean seriously? People believed in higher power ever since their mind was developed enough to ask questions. Belief in Christian God was started by son of God himself, and its religion puts a lot more emphasis on ''correct faith'' than any other religion out there. A person is free to start having faith in God any time he/she wants. If your asking how human kind as whole started believing in  in higher power in th first place, thats another topic and this thread is probably most derailed one on the site, so no need to go there.

As for the book, the writer didnt actually speak to God in literal meaning of the word, you can say he had a spiritual enlightment, and all the stuff he says about God in the books makes perfect sense and doesnt go agianst any other religion or science. The world conversation is only used to atract customers and readers

First on the book the auther himself in an interview claimed to hear a dissambodied voice that "may have been" the "voice of god" in his head... Hearing dissembodied voices not a good sign TBH. The rest he made up and sold and if your belifes are an acurate reflection of the book it does conflict with most religions, and much of it seems to be more excuses as to why promises made in relegious texts are not forfilled and why a all powerful and all knowing being doesn't seem to actually do anything anymore.

Now you seem to be contredicting yourself, earlier you said that God doesn't interact with humans and doing so would mess with his devine plan, later you changed that to only interacts though faith. But now you claim the the son of God (a physical manifestation of God that interacted with people) started the christian faith? Sorry but you can't have it both ways does God directly interact or not? 

And what is your evidence for the bold claim that faith in a higher power is an inate traight of humanity? There are plenty of poeple that don't belive such a thing and many cultures (a minority true but they exist) that don't have a defined religious higher power. I think it would be acurate to say that curiosity as to the nature of aspects of the world is an inate aspect of humanity but a "higher power" (or the concept of a human like entity that crafted and controls the world) is an easy metaphor for why the world is how it is, and more importantly easy for kids to to grasp and understand because humans can easally be observed shaping and controling the worl around them. Which is why most dayities are human in form and often resemble tradesmen in how they work and act. Over the years a lot of fluff has been added to them as is the nature of oral traditions where story tellers will often embelish the storys and change to suit their audiance. 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

padib said:

To be honest guys I haven't been following this segment of the thread much because I don't agree with much of Player1x3's view on his faith (though I liked your posting the zeightgeish refutation vids which I hope to check soon), but I just wanted to say that the bolded is not true. Oral tradition =/= telephone tag. There are significant differences.

1) In telephone tag, the listener is not allowed to ask the speaker to repeat.

2) The speaker can only whisper into the ear of the listener, making it a 1-way communication with little sound quality.

In other words, telephone tag is made to be funny and fun. Oral tradition is basically the opposite:

1) Those assigned to oral tradition are trained and train to remember large parts of a story.

2) They constantly check for confirmation as to whether or not they got the message right.

3) When they tell part of a story, they leave out a certain percentage of the story at random which another teller should in all probability share at his turn.

4) It is a community practice so it's a n-way communication practice.

Don't take my word for it I learnt this while reading the Case for Christ and those are the words of a leading theologian (who is now probably dead 5 years ago maybe). Most main textbooks he wrote and he has made significant contributions to official bible commentaries and was a contributor to the RSV bible. His name:

Bruce Metzger, Professor of New Testament, Emeritus, Princeton Theological Seminary;

that may be true but we are talking hundreds if not thousands of years plus multiple languages etc and storyies are also adapted to their audiance and the situation. It's not going to stay exactly the same it's going to change adapt and grow as cultures change, story tellers meet and exchange stories etc these things were not static. They weren't completly changing every other year no but they were changing. 

Take for example these two excrepts from to different stories from two cultures

"Māui takes the jaw-bone of his ancestress Muri-ranga-whenua and uses it as a weapon in his first expedition. This is to snare the Sun and make it go slower because the days were too short for people to get their work done. With the help of his brothers, Māui nooses the Sun and beats him severely with the jaw-bone club until the Sun promises to go slower in future"

and

"a young boy named Eagle Feather takes revenge on the sun by

snaring it with a giant rope. The animals do not like the sun being gone from

the sky, so they meet and ask Dormouse to solve their problem. There are

consequences to Dormouse’s actions."

same root story of a young man capturing the sun but they have been changed a lot as the traditions split and was carried on fo thousands of years in to very different cultures. Also keep in mind that not all oral tradtions around the world are treated the same, every culture has a different way of keeping oral traditions alive. Where some would have a designated story teller that would train an aprentice in all the oral tradions of the tribe etc, others would have everyone learn the stories and take turns reciting them or other such adaptions. Also some traditons were given higher importance than others and this would also change.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

padib said:
Scientists get "supporting evidence" for a theory whenever they do an experiment.  For instance, they might figure that if a particular theory is true, something will happen, and if it's not true, something else will happen.  Then they do the experiment and find out what happens.  By confirming and contradicting and refining theories all the time, science has an extremely good idea of how the world works, including how species change over time.  And "evolve" into noticeably different beings than their ancestors were many many years ago.  

Scientists do the same exact thing in theology (a science also), where they say things like "would this person write this or that, if he did what would that mean" and such and such and they contradict each other constantly at what is a historical game of detective. It's pretty fascinating once you actually get into it. As I said I'm reading the book the case for Christ you'll find examples of what I mean there. I've also taken a course in theology (in a secular university) where, for instance, the authorship of the Pauline letters were put into question and they do statistical analysis of lexical style and grammar and structure and what-have-you and they come up to certain very interesting conclusions.

Here's another example for instance. Remember your editing-in comment? Well, there is a jewish historian by the name of Josephus. In the link I provided to Runa, one of his passages mentions Jesus. However, it is almost certain that the text was later edited due to the nature of the writer and the nature of the content, in that both don't match (he was a jew, and clearly not Christian, so certain statements there are too Christian sounding). Take a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_Jesus#Josephus

(that's really just to give you an example of the detective  game being played)

You are completely, utterly wrong if you think that the science of evolution has no more supporting evidence than Christian doctrine.  The Bible is basically all the evidence you have.  Historians and archaeologists have been able to put together some sketchy support of SOME of the stuff in the Bible, but obviously nothing like Jesus walking on water etc.  We don't have a diary of a guy who watched him being crucified and saw him die and be buried and camped out at the grave and saw the stone crack or fall away from the hole or however the story goes.  There is only a lot of hearsay, usually decades later, about people talking about OTHER people talking about "that guy who they say rose from the dead".

I understand what you're saying, but historical deciphering doesn't require a journal per se. It could be what they call a hostile witness (someone who would have no stake in claiming the advancings of their enemies/nuisances). An example is found here (from the same wiki article): 

Celsus wrote, about 180, a book against the Christians, which is now only known through Origen's refutation of it. Celsus apparently accused Jesus of being a magician and a sorcerer[130] and is quoted as saying that Jesus was a "mere man".[131] F. F. Bruce noted that Celsus, in seeking to discredit Jesus, sought to explain his miracles rather than claim they never occurred.[132]

In the post I provided to Runa, I took what I learnt from that link and filtered a few pieces of the bible that were historical, as shown from an extra-biblical source. Those were:

• that Jesus existed (Josephus AD 93, Mara bar Sarapion sometime btw 73 AD and the 3rd century, the Talmud 70–200 CE, Lucian 2nd Century AD, Celsus around 180 AD, Tacitus 116 AD, Pliny the younger c. 112, Suetonius c. 69140)
  • that he was a Jew (the Talmud 70–200 CE)
  • that he was a Nazarene (from Galilee) (the Talmud 70–200 CE)
  • that he was crucified (Tacitus 116AD,  the Talmud 70–200 CE says he was hung)
  • that he rose from the dead (This I took from an oblique source I grant, plus subsequent logical deduction, I can provide both if interested)
  • that he performed miracles. (the Talmud 70–200 CE, Celsus 180)
  • A great darkness in the land - mentioned in the gospels  (Thallus 109 AD)
  • That he was a King. (Mara bar Sarapion sometime btw 73 AD and the 3rd century)
  • That he was wise. (Mara bar Sarapion sometime btw 73 AD and the 3rd century)

It's already quite alot. Now add to that everything the bible says. How is it reliable? Well again I encourage you to read the book the case for Christ. If you want, I can bring out some points from the book in my own words for you to read sans buying the book.

What do you mean, padib, when you say that "genetic evolution" has never been observed?  Did you know they watched bacteria that are famous for not eating citrate turn into bacteria that  love to eat it?  

I appreciate the question. The outcome of the experiment (behavioral change) is a fact, I concede. However the explanation varies from one observer to the next. The same change in behavior can be due to a loss in genetic information. For instance, if Bacteria_0 had the gene telling it not to eat citrate, upon losing said gene, Bacteria_1 would then love to eat it. I'll offer you a more human-scale example.

There are some dogs with short hair and some with long hair. Those with short hair have the gene to tell the hair to stop growing up to a certain point. Someone will say "Well, dog_0 is the less evolved dog, since it has less fur". But, little do they know, there is rather more information required to tell the hair to stop growing than to not. Those with longer hair may lack that gene for instance, or have a variation of that gene. By losing said gene or losing some complexity in said gene, the dog with longer hair may have actually devolved, though it may have greater chances of survival in colder climates.

As for "devolution", since you didn't explain it here, I might be wrong, but I think I know what you're referring to.  It is not taught because it is bullshit.  More precisely, it has not stood up to tests the way other science has that is taught to society's children, particularly evolution.  I do not even know if it is even capable of being so tested, or if it's total crap (from the perspective of scientific illumination of nature's workings) like intelligent design. 

Well, devolution is not part of intelligent design. It's just basically stating a known fact of genetic defects which are caused by the breeding of specimens of a same species that have a similar gene pool. That's a reason why humans don't inbreed, because it causes blindness, deformities and things like that. So devolution is not something that needs to be proven, it's a fact we see happen around us. That's why fruit flies mutate negatively in a closed environment. The gene pool is so similar that inbreeding causes massive defects (some flies lose wings, some have their eyes blind and things like that, and given their design is not condusive to survival. They will most likely get sifted by natural selections and the pressures of nature). What we see rather in nature is not evolution but devolution. Given the rate of devolution being much faster than that of evolution (genetically speaking), which one do you think will overtake on the long run?

You can call it bullshit, but I will attemp to find secular, scientific evidence to my claim. Possibly an expert in the field could help us, but sadly we're newbs.

Well, although historians can possibly confirm or disconfirm certain hypotheses, it's not the same.  You can't form an opinion about whether Shakespeare really wrote his plays and then go out and do an experiment to prove it wrong.  You can only hope that documents surface shedding more light on the subject, or examine various existing documents to let experts try to come to consensus on an educated guess.  That's all they're doing with the Pauline letters, even if they are fairly confident in their guess.  It's a respectable field, but it doesn't offer the same certainty science like physics does.  Studying the history of evolution is sometimes a little bit of the same detective game (archaeology), but one of the differences is that they have much much more evidence to play with. 

The hostile witness thing is a decent point, but it fails because it doesn't show anything but that people generally believed that the stuff happened almost two centuries later.  And keep in mind that people were more superstitious and credulous about the supernatural.  Notice also that your sources disagree.  The Talmud says he was hung.  If it is wrong there, how can you rely on it for the other information? 

What you describe about the bacteria eating citrate is not possible.  You don't have a gene telling you not to eat grass and dirt; it just doesn't sustain you.  Your body can't turn that into energy to keep you going.  (At all for dirt; efficiently enough for grass.) 

Devolution alleges that changes can only take place via loss of information, i.e. not adding or simply changing things.  This does not hold up to reality.  For instance, in the E. coli experiment there have been so many mutations that if devolution was how bacteria changed over time there would be nothing of them left by now! 

I'm not saying that loss of information isn't among the evolutionary processes; it is.  The fusion of two of our chromosomes into one, which is a difference between us and the other apes, could be considered loss of information IMO.  But it certainly isn't the only process. 

I say it's bullshit because after billions of years of devolution there would really be nothing left.  Also, things that mutate/evolve faster should have much much much less information in their DNA since they should be losing it faster; but that's not the case AFAIK. 

Devolution only works as long as it makes positive changes.  If devolution hurts the organism, the devolved individual is not as likely to succeed and make an impression on the future population.  Babies born with no heart die.  The rationale behind eugenics was to take this a step further and actively prevent subpar individuals from reproducing, thereby improving future populations because only the better ones were able to contribute.  We only don't do that because it's cruel, and too subjective.  Anyway, that's why devolution doesn't overwhelm evolution as a force of change, even if it has more of an effect on every generation (which I don't know). 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

padib said:
Final-Fan said:

Well, although historians can possibly confirm or disconfirm certain hypotheses, it's not the same.  You can't form an opinion about whether Shakespeare really wrote his plays and then go out and do an experiment to prove it wrong. You can only hope that documents surface shedding more light on the subject, or examine various existing documents to let experts try to come to consensus on an educated guess.  That's all they're doing with the Pauline letters, even if they are fairly confident in their guess.  It's a respectable field, but it doesn't offer the same certainty science like physics does.  Studying the history of evolution is sometimes a little bit of the same detective game (archaeology), but one of the differences is that they have much much more evidence to play with.  

I want to give you props for actually looking into what I wrote (not that you didn't normally, you always do, but I'm looking at others on the secular side). I'd like it to serve as an example.

Now I agree that evolution plays the same detective game (archaology, geology, history, etc.) and has more evidence to work with (here I'll slide in "as much as creationism does", since they work off the same data). However, the nature of the game is the same. That's why bolded, though true, is double-edged.

Also, though the study of origins has more data to work with as you mentioned, there are parts of the theological study that goes beyond simple he-said she-said (history). This theological exercise takes into account lexical analysis, grammatical analysis, dates, times, places and people, and statistics (the ones I can recount). So thought it falls under one category "history" for all suits and purposes, you can also gather from there linguistics, mathematics and forensics. The two italicized are also largely used in the study of origins. I hope I didn't bore you with this, I just want to show you how over-rated and under-rated some things are so as to give us a better grasp on the scientific values of the various fields (in this case Theology versus Study of Origins). Without going too deeply into the debate I hope you see where I'm coming from.

The hostile witness thing is a decent point, but it fails because it doesn't show anything but that people generally believed that the stuff happened almost two centuries later.  And keep in mind that people were more superstitious and credulous about the supernatural.  Notice also that your sources disagree.  The Talmud says he was hung.  If it is wrong there, how can you rely on it for the other information?  

So, I just want to keep things separate. The hostile witness is a tool in history to give more value to one source than another given a certain topic. Given their hostile view to the topic at hand, they would be less prone to sugar-coating, claiming proponents of the topic, or giving a positive view of the topic. However, they could also be prone to giving a negative view of the topic which doesn't correspond with the reality of things and they could falsify other parts of the topic to their ends.

As for my point, which makes use of the hostile witness argument, it goes beyond them believing that the stuff happened. It goes far beyond believing and the time is much tighter than 2 centures. To recall, here are the records and their dates:

Josephus AD 93

Mara bar Sarapion sometime btw 73 AD and the 3rd century

the Talmud 70–200 CE

Lucian 2nd Century AD

Celsus around 180 AD

Tacitus 116 AD

Pliny the younger c. 112

Suetonius c. 69–140

Now remember, Jesus alledgedly died 33AD. That means that, for instance, suetonius is at best only 36 years later and at worst 100 years later. Pliny the younger is only 80 years later. Josepus, only 60 years later. For that period, these are staggeringly close records. Next, you have the fact that these historians are from very different backgrounds and regions, of different levels of faith and superstition.

From Wikipedia:

Publius (or GaiusCornelius Tacitus (AD 56 – AD 117) was a senator and a historian of the Roman Empire.

Gaius Suetonius Tranquillus, commonly known as Suetonius (ca. 69/75 – after 130), was a Roman historian belonging to the equestrian order in the earlyImperial era.

Gaius Plinius Caecilius Secundus, born Gaius Caecilius or Gaius Caecilius Cilo (61 AD – ca. 112 AD), better known as Pliny the Younger, was alawyerauthor, and magistrate of Ancient Rome. Pliny's uncle, Pliny the Elder, helped raise and educated him.

Mara bar ("son of ") Serapion, sometimes spelled Mara bar Sarapion was a Stoic philosopher from the Roman province of Syria. He wrote a letter in Syriac to his son, who was also named Serapion.[1] This writing is said to be one of the earliest non-Jewish, non-Christian references to a historical Jesus.

Titus Flavius Josephus (37 – c. A.D. 100),[2] also called Joseph ben Matityahu (Biblical Hebrew: יוסף בן מתתיהו, Yosef ben Matityahu),[3] was a 1st-century Romano-Jewish historian and hagiographer of priestly and royal ancestry who recorded Jewish history, with special emphasis on the 1st century AD and the First Jewish–Roman War which resulted in the Destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD.

The Talmud (Hebrewתַּלְמוּד talmūd "instruction, learning", from a root lmd "teach, study") is a central text of mainstream Judaism. It takes the form of a record ofrabbinic discussions pertaining to Jewish lawethics, philosophy, customs and history.

What you describe about the bacteria eating citrate is not possible.  You don't have a gene telling you not to eat grass and dirt; it just doesn't sustain you.  Your body can't turn that into energy to keep you going.  (At all for dirt; efficiently enough for grass.)  

I think final-fan, as honest as you are, here is a case where you logic blocks due to your a priori (your predisposition to disbelieve what I'm trying to tell you). To counter-point, I'll simply restate what you told me earlier hopefully you'll see where I'm getting at.

Did you know they watched bacteria that are famous for not eating citrate turn into bacteria that  love to eat it? 

Keep in mind that to understand my point above that I'm trying to demonstrate (that the lacking of the gene to eat citrate not be a cause for non-sustainability), you need to understand that devolution does not only imply loss of information, but also a shuffling around of things without increased complexity, a modification of something maybe with minor loss of complexity but not necessarily a full loss of function. In other words, it's somewhat the mirror image in that evolution is the same, only that when there is a change it is upward rather than downward. It's like seeing yourself in the mirror. Where a scar was on the left before, it is now on the right, but everything else in the image is virtually the same. Lateral and upward becomes lateral and downward. You have the same theory, to understand devolution just flip it upside down. Or, if you also see devolution as fact, to understand my view simply erase the upward arrow (which I don't believe as fact). With that, the below can be revised (italics):

Devolution alleges that changes can only take place via loss of information, i.e. not adding or simply changing things.  This does not hold up to reality.  For instance, in the E. coli experiment there have been so many mutations that if devolution was how bacteria changed over time there would be nothing of them left by now!   

Also note that, as evolution, devolution accepts that the parent species survive in parallel.

I'm not saying that loss of information isn't among the evolutionary processes; it is.  The fusion of two of our chromosomes into one, which is a difference between us and the other apes, could be considered loss of information IMO.  But it certainly isn't the only process.  

@italics. Good, I'm glad to hear it. That is a phenomenon I am certain to be factual. With the whole sentence I can agree. I'd just like to look into the whole fusion of chromosomes thing. I don't see that as a devolution but as a design reuse, but that's just my view.

I say it's bullshit because after billions of years of devolution there would really be nothing left.  Also, things that mutate/evolve faster should have much much much less information in their DNA since they should be losing it faster; but that's not the case AFAIK.

That's why the logic is a little circular. To break out, you need to consider the alternative that the universe may not be as old as it appears to be, given other pieces of evidence. Also, how would you define inbreeding after the evolution of a species into a new one? Also note that devolution, the way I understand it, does not lead to a new species, but to a different form within a species. For intance, different breeds of dogs fall into devolutions of a more complex and gene-rich parent dog. They are different breeds, but all within the same species. How would evolution account for inbreeding phenomena after a new evolution of one species into a new one? How does evolution account for the phenomenon that hybrids just as mules or ligers can't procreate? How does evolution handles the impossible inter-species breeding? How are those boundaries defined in evolution? This for me is one major hole in the theory.

Devolution only works as long as it makes positive changes.  If devolution hurts the organism, the devolved individual is not as likely to succeed and make an impression on the future population.  Babies born with no heart die.  The rationale behind eugenics was to take this a step further and actively prevent subpar individuals from reproducing, thereby improving future populations because only the better ones were able to contribute.  We only don't do that because it's cruel, and too subjective.  Anyway, that's why devolution doesn't overwhelm evolution as a force of change, even if it has more of an effect on every generation (which I don't know). 

I think devolution mostly works with inbreeding. To recall, imbreeding:

Inbreeding is the reproduction from the mating of two genetically related parents. Inbreeding results in increased homozygosity, which can increase the chances of offspring being affected by recessive or deleterious traits. This generally leads to a decreased fitness of a population, which is called inbreeding depression. Deleterious alleles causing inbreeding depression can subsequently be removed throughculling, which is also known as genetic purging.

I'm not sure of this, but I believe inbreeding even leads to sterility after a certain degree of inbreeding. In other words, I don't believe devolution works to a point where babies would be born with no heart. If we were at that point in history all remaining humans would probably be sterile. :)

In the creationist scenario, the gene pool would have been much larger in the past to support inbreeding to a certain degree, but nowadays it is completely unsustainable. As a matter of theology, incest was only forbidden as of Moses, never prior. So yes, Adam's offspring did inbreed. Gross? Yes to us now, but then it was natural. Obviously in terms of genetics the matter has changed, and socioligically it follows. Again, theologically speaking, God forbade it as of Moses (which in turn affects society's view of it today by indirection, along with other things such as the generation of genetic monsters literally speaking).

All in all a great post, but I believe there may be some misconceptions on devolution, inbreeding and the surrounding topics. In the mean time, I'll be reading this:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucbhdjm/courses/b242/InbrDrift/InbrDrift.html

Why is it double-edged?  My point was that although in SOME cases they both rely on educated guesses (very well educated depending on available info), the study of evolution does NOT rely only on that.  I don't see what's double edged about this.  It also changes the nature of the game when this is the case, and the game is also different when the evidence available is orders of magnitude greater. 

And, no, they don't work off all the same data.  Or more precisely, the data is available to both sides but is not utilized by both sides.  For example, archaeologists can examine the fossil record to see how organisms apparently changed over time and rose and fell with the environmental changes etc.; creationists attempt to shoehorn the same evidence into compatibility with the story of the Great Flood, with much less success. 

On the other hand, the writings of 1st-3rd century Mediterraneans are of little import to the study of evolution. 

---------------

It was not apparent before that you were claiming all those sources as hostile witnesses.  I was not impressed by what I saw in the Sarapion letter; I didn't read the others. 

In what way do these sources go "far beyond" believing the events happened? 

---------------

No, I don't see at all.  It's not the SAME bacteria, it's their mutated descendants.  And the change wasn't sudden, it seems to have been a series of mutations that were only neutral at first, not beneficial, then slightly useful for citrate, then fully useful. 

---------------

Yes of course I didn't mean the species would disappear, I meant if you could only evolve/devolve by losing pieces of your genetic code then you'd obviously have organisms with less and less DNA as time went on.  The faster they changed, the less they'd have, and NONE OF THIS IS TRUE.  Granting that you don't stipulate the same time scale in the past that science is aware of, you should still admit that this should even be the case for the historical past, and it's not there, either.  We have access to prehistoric bacteria and they don't have way more DNA than modern bacteria in general. 

---------------

Mules and ligers are from parents sufficiently speciated that the differences cause the offspring to be ... wrong.  Dogs and cats can't interbreed, right?  Well, lions and tigers are closer, just close enough to produce offspring, but different enough that there are problems with them.  Once lions and tigers become different enough they won't be able to do it at all anymore. 

---------------

"Gene pool" There is actually an interesting article about this:  http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/may99/926380864.Ge.r.html

But really if you're going to go with literal Bible interpretations, i.e. the human race is literally all descended from two individuals, then as the link notes you're also stuck with the Flood, which is just not supported by the data at all. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

Around the Network
padib said:
Final-Fan said:

Why is it double-edged?  My point was that although in SOME cases they both rely on educated guesses (very well educated depending on available info), the study of evolution does NOT rely only on that.  I don't see what's double edged about this.  It also changes the nature of the game when this is the case, and the game is also different when the evidence available is orders of magnitude greater.  

To elaborate, certain processes in study for the topic of origins are things of the past. Examples of these are fossilisation, global catastrophies, dating, rates of change (as an example the development of chalk beds used as a challenge to creationists), plate tectonics, astronomical movements, other variables in the universe and the variable versus constant debate. All these examples, though they don't embody all the processes required by a naturalistic worldview on origins, all these example have in common that to understand them we need to extrapolate what we see today to events in the past. Already that is a source of doubt. Add to that cases where we need to use from the past (fossils, strata, ...) to understand the past itself. That is clearly the same work as the history and theology exercise I was refering to, so in that case it is 1:1 double-edged. Whatever you claim for history applies to those studies, be it positive or negative. That's how it's double-edged.

And, no, they don't work off all the same data.  Or more precisely, the data is available to both sides but is not utilized by both sides.  For example, archaeologists can examine the fossil record to see how organisms apparently changed over time and rose and fell with the environmental changes etc.; creationists attempt to shoehorn the same evidence into compatibility with the story of the Great Flood, with much less success. 

You're not a malicious poster in any way, but I want you to know that here you twisted my words, even if not voluntarily. My definition of "working off the same data" is just basically saying that they have a pool of data they can pull from, irrespective of how they pull said data and construct their understanding of it. Your belittlement of creationst study of said data does little to further the debate. I can understand you see it that way, but you're wrong. For example, I know there are challenges to the Flood theory, it doesn't make me hide the facts, rather it makes me want to look into them even more. No shoehorning involved.

On the other hand, the writings of 1st-3rd century Mediterraneans are of little import to the study of evolution.  

I don't get what this has to do with anything. Creationists don't study the historicity of Jesus for origins, but only for their personal faith and the relevance of their beliefs (such as this topic).

It was not apparent before that you were claiming all those sources as hostile witnesses.  I was not impressed by what I saw in the Sarapion letter; I didn't read the others.  

Is it that much to ask, after I watch 10-minute videos of guys bashing creationist arguments? Who's being non-commital here? And then they blame Christians for not being thorough in their approach to science... Anyway the thing about the Sarapion letter is that it is written to his son so no pretense there. The writer is also a stoic, which shares in certain Christian values  but also contrasts in other areas : Stoicism (Greek Στοά) is a school of Hellenistic philosophy founded in Athens by Zeno of Citium in the early 3rd century BC. The Stoics believed that destructive emotions resulted from errors in judgment, and that a sage, or person of "moral and intellectual perfection," would not suffer such emotions.[1]

I find it hard to tell whether Stoics were all stiff upper-lipped or if some had a more sober way to approach their lifestyle, but it's certainly difficult to reconcile "turn the other cheek" with their "beyond pain" mentality. That's apart from the theological differences with Christianity (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoicism#Stoicism_and_Christianity)

So what about it especially didn't impress you, do you not see Jesus in his account of the wise king? I'll repost it here for debate:

Mara was a Syrian Stoic.[120] While imprisoned by the Romans, Mara wrote a letter to his son that includes the following text:

For what benefit did the Athenians obtain by putting Socrates to death, seeing that they received as retribution for it famine and pestilence? Or the people of Samos by the burning of Pythagoras, seeing that in one hour the whole of their country was covered with sand? Or the Jews by the murder of their Wise King, seeing that from that very time their kingdom was driven away from them? For with justice did God grant a recompense to the wisdom of all three of them. For the Athenians died by famine; and the people of Samos were covered by the sea without remedy; and the Jews, brought to desolation and expelled from their kingdom, are driven away into every land. Nay, Socrates did “not” die, because of Plato; nor yet Pythagoras, because of the statue of Hera; nor yet the Wise King, because of the new laws which he enacted.[121]

Composed sometime between 73 AD and the 3rd century, some scholars believe this describes the fall of Jerusalem as the gods' punishment for the Jews having killed Jesus because they infer that Jesus must be "the wise king" referred to by Mara.[120]

In what way do these sources go "far beyond" believing the events happened?  

I provided the timelines for you and the backgrounds of the writers. Assuming they are lucid and take their statements as truth, then there are two options: either they believe what they wrote, or they know what they wrote. Some being professional historians, others being philosophers, some even being senators, others rabbis, all writing between at best 36 years after his death (Suetonius) to 100 years on average, at worst 170 years after his death. Most of these writers alive in the generation of those alongside christ, or the 2 to 3 generations following. Beyond reasonable doubt these writers knew they were talking about a quite recent event that was fact.

Just one example:

Publius (or GaiusCornelius Tacitus (AD 56 – AD 117) was a senator and a historian of the Roman Empire

The guy was probably 60 when he was done writing his account, being familiar with word of events that happened only 23 years before he was born. That's like some kid 60 years from now talking about a NES that came out in the 1980s. Would you consider it a fact, especially when he's a video game historian and other historians of different background his age or some even older mentioned the system in one shape or another shortly before or after he did? Yeah, I know I would. And that's today, back then it was even more credible because you don't get such close records of events in those times. We're even lucky to have this material concerning Jesus.

No, I don't see at all.  It's not the SAME bacteria, it's their mutated descendants.  And the change wasn't sudden, it seems to have been a series of mutations that were only neutral at first, not beneficial, then slightly useful for citrate, then fully useful.  

Define it as you like, a new species or a new race, the fact is that one is descendant of another. Did it involve an increase or a decrease in genetic complexity, I would argue a decrease given what we've OBSERVED in science to date (eg observed genetic mutations). @italics. And when did I say the change was sudden? Again, my understanding of devolution is like the mirror image of your understanding of evolution, I don't see how my prior description was unclear... whether the change is useful or not, natural selection will sort that out.

"it seems to have been a series of mutations" It seems doesn't it. I bet. That's obviously how they want it to seem. Ask them to give me the data, not their apriori-affected interpretation of it. Anyways whether that's true or not is completely irrelevant, as again natural selection will do what needs to be done to filter only the fittest. It gives the illusion of evolution but that's not how nature works. Nature just causes mutations, whether it's progressive or not is not part of the process. It's just mutations, some may be more drastic than others. Then, natural selection does its job.

Yes of course I didn't mean the species would disappear, I meant if you could only evolve/devolve by losing pieces of your genetic code then you'd obviously have organisms with less and less DNA as time went on.  The faster they changed, the less they'd have, and NONE OF THIS IS TRUE.  Granting that you don't stipulate the same time scale in the past that science is aware of, you should still admit that this should even be the case for the historical past, and it's not there, either.  We have access to prehistoric bacteria and they don't have way more DNA than modern bacteria in general.  

@bolded -> precisely.  @no format -> you're correct, I don't stipulate the same time scale in the past that science is "aware" of. @italics -> dating in the creationist framework is not the same as that of the long-age framework. What you might consider prehistoric, the creationist may consider very young. As a matter of fact, most creationists only consider the universe to be 6000 years old. They use history, archaeology, theology (genealogies in the bible), astronomy, geology and other fields to come to that reasoned conclusion. I won't get into that but you understand my view on the prehistoric bacteria, though you might not agree with it. Also, a genetic parent may coexist with its child.  Another thing you need to remember is that at the flood, only individuals of the original gene pool were taken into the ark (2 of each kind for animals, 8 humans, and other numbers I can't remember). If you took all the humans on earth and made a genetic mix of all of them, you would get a little less than what noah would have been like (I say les due to ethnic cleansing and  genetic mutations, and other reasons for loss of genetic density in the human gene pool). Then realise that Noah was 1 out of a huge population of humans (the bible mentions that humans live up to 900 years, some almost a thousand, and that they had many children, like in the 30s). The gene pool was severely restricted at the flood. That's why the genetic breakdown happened at the flood, after Noah, since he only held a part of the original gene pool.

But even then let's take the case where that bacteria was 6000 years old. I don't see bacteria following the same pattern as that of humans and mammals genetically speaking. I mean what would inbreeding mean for bacteria, just as a preliminary question. I think for bacteria it's not as much about breeding but about duplication. In other words their mutation comes from duplication. I believe it's a different process altogether and the rules of inbreeding don't apply to bacteria, but I may be wrong. Anyway all that to say that the genetic density argument was more pertaining to dogs, cats, humans, birds, apes, etc.

Mules and ligers are from parents sufficiently speciated that the differences cause the offspring to be ... wrong.  Dogs and cats can't interbreed, right?  Well, lions and tigers are closer, just close enough to produce offspring, but different enough that there are problems with them.  Once lions and tigers become different enough they won't be able to do it at all anymore.  

What do you mean by their offspring will be "wrong"? @bolded -> I didn't say they can't interbreed. I said that if they did produce offspring, that offspring would be sterile. I get the sense that you're not reading my replies or paying attention to them. @italics -> you're referring to the incompatibility of their reproductive organs? That's how I would see it at least.

"Gene pool" There is actually an interesting article about this:  http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/may99/926380864.Ge.r.html

Yep, that makes alot of sense. I don't know how much of that takes into account the article I provided to you though, here for ref: 

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucbhdjm/courses/b242/InbrDrift/InbrDrift.html

But really if you're going to go with literal Bible interpretations, i.e. the human race is literally all descended from two individuals, then as the link notes you're also stuck with the Flood, which is just not supported by the data at all. 

So here you mean the fact that Noah is a restriction of the original gene pool and that only his 3 sons and their wives were the genetic constituants of today's human race, as I mentioned earlier right. To be honest, and fair, I agree I need to look into it further. I'm not a geneticist nor a biologist, but it is my understanding that still at that time the mutations were less likely and that they may not have caused defects at the time but rather morphological differences such as those we see between brothers and sisters. That's my understanding of it at least and leads me to embrace the Babel account as well, where all the races of the earth broke off from one original race (that of the children of Noah). The mutations leading to morphological differences would account for the possibly rapid raciation that happened at Babel. It's just an explanation. Whether it fits the data or the realm of possibilities is not my forte, but it is my basic understanding of the past and I'm quite convinced that's how it happened. I do concede though that my depth of knowledge in Genetics and microbiology is very limited. I will look into it more if you have links do post them.

You might want to look at this: http://creation.com/historical-adam-biologos

You included this in what you bolded:  "You can't form an opinion about whether Shakespeare really wrote his plays and then go out and do an experiment to prove it wrong."  I was confused because that is NOT double edged.  It is a limitation of the "historical analysis" that archaeology and theology both do, but other science is not subject to that limitation, and there is no counterpart for that in theological studies.  But insofar as there IS a limitation that applies to both sides, yes, although it is worse for theologists becuase there is less evidence for them to work with. 
----------------------------
Well, yes, going after the historicity of the Flood etc. would be kind of going off topic, I admit.  Nevertheless, though you may have a spirit of honest inquiry, the evidential claims of groups like Answers in Genesis are unfounded. 

If you're interested in seeing and answering objections, as you say, you may be interested in this link:  http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-noahs-ark.html
But I won't belabor the point. 

As far as "twisting your words", apparently you weren't clear.  But it seems you meant what I meant, so it doesn't matter. 
The "Wise King" having enacted laws?  Sounds garbled at best if it's supposed to refer to the Jesus we're familiar with.  That does nothing to show me that the Bible we ended up with is accurate to what people saw back when it actually happened.  Since that is apparently supposed to be representative of the quality of evidence you are presenting, and since it was a rather large document that I had to sift through to find the unmarked 5% of relevant data, I decided not to spend my time similarly combing all the other links for similarly unimpressive results. 
Even over 6000 years, this would be very observable if I am not mistaken, and it just is not happening.  If we disregard bacteria, there are still fast-reproducing sexually-reproducing species like mayflies or whatever, and ancient insects (whether 6000 years old or 60 million) just DO NOT HAVE the vastly larger genomes your theory would predict.  (AFAIK.) 
Well, IIRC they're mostly sterile, and ligers (or is it tigons?) have an out of whack growth process in that they never stop growing.  That kind of "wrong". 

I don't mean that Tab A doesnt' fit into Slot B anymore, but that you stop getting any result from the union. 

o_O.Q said:

... makes me wonder which story was based off of which... oh wait...

Because everything Zeitgeist says is true right?

Read this: http://conspiracies.skepticproject.com/articles/zeitgeist/part-one/

Unlike Zeitgeist its statements are actually cited.

padib said:

Thanks for your reply. Yeah lots of misunderstandings in general :).

I just wanted to mention that AiG and CMI are two very different groups and have very different scientific focus. I go with CMI because it has the stronger focus on science, all their staff are academics. I mean, you could see their rigor in the link I sent you, at least if it could change your mind on their claims being unfounded, at least for CMI.

I'll check out the link thanks! It looks pretty honest from what I've read so far.

For the Wise King account by Mara bar Sarapion, I don't understand how it appears garbled. The text is a translation granted, and being a philosopher he is speaking somewhat in metaphors (Socrates is not dead), but it's up to the reader to understand what he's trying to say. Take the time to understand it, that's what the passage was meant for. You're not supposed to understand it upon first glance. Hopefully that'll encourage you to look back at it and then consider all the others. In terms of his "new laws", given that non-believers didn't really get a proper grasp of what Christ was teaching, he was probably referring to this: http://bible.cc/john/13-34.htm . Keep in mind, the 10 commandments are called the "Law of Moses". This supports it: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=James%202:12-13&version=NIV

It's quite fascinating what people had to say about Christ back then. It's a little discouraging when you think there's only 1 person on this forum actually listening to what you have to say, especially after all the labelling and having to be called "irrational" by some, that even the only one listening didn't take the time to read some of my best evidence. As for which biblical prophecies these texts support, take a look at my prior post @ http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4219267. I linked to the one where Runa brushes it off just to show you how things are like sometimes and having some of your strongest points simply brushed off lazily by the back of the hand. Also, why did you sift through, you should have just asked me? The links ere here: 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_Jesus#Greco-Roman_Pagan_sources

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_Jesus#Jewish_sources

The rest wasn't needed. Go back to them, even if just out of curiosity I promise it won't be wasted. You get to hear what Romans think of this quite important historical character (Jesus). He affected the Roman empire to a certain extent, and largely affected the Jewish nation (no Jews in Judea just 40 some years after his crucifiction, a razed temple, as prophecized)

For the genetics and genomic loss trend, I'll look into it more. I read the whole link I gave you but it's even hard for me to understand. Did you have a chance to read it? It should at least show you a certain level of commitment to working with current-day data and creating models that fit a time-frame and event-frame.

As for Ligers and other hybrids, I was just trying to make a point that evolution in my eyes has a serious challenge when it comes to speciation and the sexual compatibilities of two specimens of varying species. In our world, two specimens of varying species cannot sustainably reproduce. In other words, evolution would have to produce a pair of specimens in a new species so as to ensure offspring. However, in the creationist models, the devolutions don't speciate the specimens, they simply raciate them (e.g. drosophiles with yellow eyes instead of black).

CMI and AIG only became separate entities 6 years ago.  All prior claims are shared unless one of them since recanted.  Anyway a brief session with Google does indicate that AIG-USA does seem more beholden to pushers of debunked claims, so I'll leave it there unless you want to pursue the subject. 
--------------------
What I mean by garbled is that "Wise King enacting laws" doesn't fit the picture of Jesus that we get in the Bible.  Your best explanation is ONE law, so I would have expected him to use the singular in that case.  Unless the language of the author made singular/plural indistinguishable or interchangeable in that usage? 

Your biblegateway quote did not illuminate this further IMO. 
--------------------
I kind of expected you to give me the best links you had at the time.  If these were better I wonder why you didn't provide them in the other post, but you don't have to answer. 

As for Socrates not being dead, that is clearly the common idea that someone "lives on" in their legacy; I don't know what that has to do with anything, it's not the same thing as veiled meanings or speaking in riddles. 

But while we're on the subject of those sources, again I ask you:  how do you reconcile claiming the Talmud (one of, if not the most strong sources of possible evidence) as supporting that the Biblical Jesus is in fact historically accurate, when (unless I'm completely misunderstanding Wikipedia) the person described in the Talmud is so different from the one in the Bible?  Hung instead of crucified; 5 diciples instead of 12; only one of their names even remotely similar; and they were all killed at the same time as he was.  That sounds like the Bible is not accurate in the least if the person is the same, and if it's not then you can't claim the Talmud has any evidence of Jesus at all. 

The Josephus documents are on the one hand very probably compromised by later editing, and on the other hand give hardly any reliable information beyond Jesus' bare existence. 
--------------------
I don't think your objection about speciation holds up.  As I understand it, you are saying that since ligers aren't sustainable, then evolution doesn't work.  But speciation doesn't happen like that; lions and tigers are already very different.  I'm sure Bengal tigers and Siberian tigers could reproduce and have tiger cubs that were just fine.  Similarly, some tigers in the past could easily have started out as a single type and some went to Bengal and some went to Siberia (or w/e) and the environment affected which offspring were successful until that pressure resulted in different directions of evolution (different coats and I think size).  The longer this process goes on, the more animals can get changed, until we have horses like Clydesdales that have ancestors more like the size of a German Shepherd.  Also, some environments exert more pressure to change.  Humans do this on purpose with selective breeding. 

tl;dr Lions and tigers do not sustainably reproduce, but that is irrelevant.  Speciation doesn't "jump" like a lion having a baby tiger.  It's much more gradual than that, which is why the objection is irrelevant.  (So if one lion is just a little teensy bit more tiger-like than other lions, and that's a successful change, it can pass on its genes to offspring just fine because it can still mate perfectly well with another, standard-type lion.) 

To the final one; it's only a more focused version of the paragraph immediately above.

I want To Believe, but this is not X-Files guys!

A need to believe in something and have hope to leave a better life when condition were so awful like 2000 years ago and in the middle age. Made a Man, Jesus Christ became what it is now.

but a man became history, history became story, story became legend, legend became magic.

in this case magic became religion.

Believing in the bible now is not far away from believing in Mushroom Kingdowm or that halo saga is real.

At least, with have games and foootages from this world.

there are no proofs, therefore we cannot believe it. After all this years, happening, dramas, wars, catastrophies and more it is hard to believe that there is a God sit on his chair looking down at us. What is he doing? thinking? eating? Praying oh no, he does not, he can anything!

people are killed or killing in his name for Apple Sake! I could not sleep at night if I was him!

I do not beleive and I am amazed that people are still believing.... but hope of soemthign better can be an explanation... to me to have an eternal life were i could do nothing else than look at him and pray sounds like Hell! BORING!

But if I am wrong and somethign does exist I am even happier to be a non believer!

A God that can be everywhere, can do anything and everything but does nothing for his childs a population create at his own image?

Well.... nothing else to add!

Oh yes, FREE WILL is just an exscuse that we use when we cannot justify or keep up with our ideas! Like a Joker in card games. Or using cheat for a gamer!

Switch!!!